• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Bolt Carrier question

Shotgun Jeremy

.270 WIN
When I bought my 500 new a few years ago (I was still a gun noob), it had two "bite marks" on the top/inside of the receiver where my bolt slides. The gun shop told me those were normal and not to worry about it. A few years later, I learn more about guns and find out that, no - those AREN'T normal and could be a sign of why my gun feels like it catches slightly when I rack it. Now, about 2,000 rounds later (general guess), I take my bolt carrier to a gun smith to show me how to take it apart, he notices the main pin kinda moves around. It's tight in the middle part, but loose in the bolt carrier.

Is this normal? If not, could it be a manufacturer defect that caused those bite marks in the reciever? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

it had two "bite marks" on the inside of the receiver. The gun shop told me those were normal.

Correct

no - those AREN'T normal and could why my gun feels like it catches when I rack it.

Cocking the hammer feels like a catch, also some bumps etc are normal.

bolt carrier to a gun smith, he notices the main pin moves. It's tight in the middle part, but loose in the bolt carrier.

By design the pin secures to the locking block and not the bolt. It wiggles.

Back