• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Brand New ATR 308 Issues

RichNJ

Copper BB
I just purchased my first weapon, a new 100 ATR 308 the end of February. I took it out of the box and cleaned the barrel, oiled the barrel with Rem Oil, a quick squirt in the magazine and removed and sprayed oil on the bolt. Wiped off any excess oil, worked the bolt several times and it all worked slick as heated ice skate blades on a frozen pond. I did all that based on internet info about new rifles and manufacturing processes and cleaning should be the first thing done. This past weekend (Mar 22 & 23) I went coyote hunting with my friends in south west Pennsylvania. It was 28 degrees in the morning when I shot and zeroed my rifle for the first time.

The first issue was getting 4 cartridges in the magazine, it was difficult and "fiddley", the cartridge had to be in just the right position or it wouldn't go in, then getting all 4 cartridges out. The last cartridge would not feed so I could only put 3 in at any time. After loading only one cartridge at a time and firing 15 times when zeroing the rifle I was surprised to eject a live round, the stuck cartridge.

The next issue was 3 misfires in 10 shots, all the misfired cartridges worked on the second attempt. According to the gun dealer I bought the rifle from and a friend who has alot more experience than I do the dimple in the misfires looked a little shallow. The ammo was Hornady Steel Match 155 grain 308W.

And the third issue was the scope coming loose at the mounting rail. While walking around in wooded areas trying to call coyote for several hours the scope mount came loose twice.

After I got home and the gun had been in the house several hours I successfully put 4 cartridges in the magazine with no problem and worked the bolt to feed and eject all 4 cartridges several times with no problem.

Is this rifle a fair weather shooter only? Was the oil too much? Should I soak the bolt in alcohol to get the oil out? What happened to the magazine? Why would cartridges not feed in the cold and then work fine at home? Should I put thread lock on the scope screws?

Welcome aboard Rich.

Sorry to see you're having issues. A little Loctite on the scope mount screws won't hurt. As far as the light strikes, we've seen this caused by a lot of factory grease/preservative and manufacturing residue inside the bolt. Giving the bolt a soak or disassembling it to clean the internals wouldn't be a bad idea. Keep us posted...

Thanks Lazy your response is greatly appreciated, I am under the impression the ATR bolt is pressed together and can't be disassembled, is that true? Is there instruction for how to break down the bolt?

OK, nevermind, I figured out how to disassemble the bolt. There is a surprising lack of info from the Mossberg manual and the internet on this subject.

Sorry Rich, didn't get to your post until now.

Glad to see that you were able to get the bolt disassembled. Mossberg doesn't include the bolt disassembly instructions 'cause it's not necessary for a simple field strip and cleaning. Guess they feel this complicated procedure should only be attempted by a qualified smith. :lol:

Once you got it apart, was it full of crud?

Lazy,
No it wasn't, I soaked the parts in alcohol and wiped it dry or blew it dry with compressed air. Ran a rod and gun cleaner down the bolt barrel. The wiped out the magazine with a shop towel. All the wipes came out dirty up to the last one of course. I then dampened a shop towel with gun cleaner/lubricant and only wiped parts that came into contact with metal in some fashion. Put 4 cartridges in the magazine and worked the bolt to feed and eject all the cartridges 6 or 7 times. All worked well, no jams, no misfeeds, no eject problems. So I guess we'll see if that fixed the problems when I get a chance to go to the range.
I also put a drop of blue loctite on the scope mount screws, that should hold it.
Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

Welcome aboard, Rich! I don't have any information for you and am sorry for your complications... but I reside in the Johnstown area of Western PA.. you anywhere close? Some of us try and get together to go shooting and would love to have another member on board!

Back