• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Brand new SA20 Turkey Thug fails to cycle

Bobster - I enjoy your input immensely.........and your avatar is likeable as well !

No problem--sorry to hear you are having problems with the SA-20.

I like Vlad because he is a "man's man" worthy of being president of a country, not that I will be defecting to Russia anytime soon... ;) Plus he is holding a pistol--do we have any pics of Nobama with a pistol in his hand? Oh, there is that STAGED shot of him with an O/U that I have about 30 variations of--which one is real? :D I would rather have a shot or three of vodka with Mr. Putin than a beer with the current POTUS... :cool:

Attachments

• obanga-550x366.jpg
    obanga-550x366.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 11
  • obakbar.jpg
    obakbar.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 10
Funny pix of our beloved Pres ..........

And yes, Vlad has that "man's man" swagger and he reeks of testosterone ; something our beloved leader must have got short changed on .
I like a man that can drop 50 million on the Olympics and not bat an eye .., or was that 50 billion ??
Anyhow,
the leader of a powerful country should be a powerful person - not some pansy sissy .
Say , is the Turkey Thug equipped with one of those super x-tra Full Turkey chokes ? I ask , because my Dupo20 Destroyer slugs say not to use them on anything tighter then a full choke

The Mossberg website states the Turkey Thug has
"Chokes : Ext Turkey Tube "

...The National Wild Turkey Federation. states that it has .665 choke diameter.( 12 ga. )
And I see where it's written that I shouldn't shoot ANY steel shot thru such a choke .

"Pay close attention to the amount of constriction the custom turkey choke has built into its design. The more constriction, or tighter tube dimensions in the choke, the longer the range will be in general. Chokes that measure .600 tighter are long-range systems. When the choke is more open, say .500 or less, the range become shorter in terms of an effective pattern.( again , refers to 12 ga. )
But make no mistake, a shorter range can mean better payload control. What you need to decide is how far do you want to shoot at a bird? And what is the best distance with that choke.

For example, a .669 choke will shoot a baseball pattern at 25 or 30 yards. Missing the whole bird is a real possibility here.

At 40 to 50 yards, that ultra tight pattern will open more and become a deadly killing machine about the size of a basketball. "

Read more: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2012/04/19/selecting-the-right-turkey-choke/#ixzz30a49TyZe

Last edited:
One of the first things I did when I got the gun was to get a "skeet" choke for it. Skeet is one size down from cylinder (n0 choke). I was aware the turkey choke would not work for the slugs or cheapy steel shot ammo I would be using mostly. I got the skeet choke because it was about $13 new inc. S/H from GB vs about $20+ for a cylinder choke (both non-ported). These take Benelli/Beretta choke tubes, BTW.

Once again Bobster , I am in your debt ......

a cylinder choke could/would be used then if a feller wanted no choke and just wanted to protect the threads ?

Yes, cylinder choke for most shooting, turkey choke for shooting turkeys, etc. with the proper shells. Cylinder bore is the same size a a standard barrel, so there is no restriction.

Some fancy shotguns are over-bored bigger than cylinder just before the choke to create certain shot patterning but that is about all I know about that...

And yes, NEVER fire a shotgun with no choke tube installed because the bare threads can be ruined, making it impossible to screw a choke in.

If I may pick your brain a wee bit more ;
Cylinder Bore is a "no choke" , err , I mean just a plain old barrel with nothing attached inside the end of the barrel ?

I ask because in another thread on a Shotgun Forum , it is written that the Mossberg Tactical SA-20 is a Cylinder Bore and can not accommodate any choke ; per the Mossberg website .

The Tactical is not threaded for a choke tube, and it happens to be "cylinder" smooth bore for the entire length.

Once upon a time, shotgun barrels did not have removable choke tubes, so instead of swapping out the tube, you would swap out the entire barrel. The barrel would be marked as to what type of choke restriction it had. The choke would be an actual narrowing in diameter of the last 2-3" of the barrel, depending on the choke size. The rest of the barrel would be "cylinder" bore (unless custom "fancy"--see post above). I've shortened many barrels marked with choke dimensions that are now invalid. ;) Refer to attached and visit this LINK. The pics below I pulled from GB so sorry about the quality.

I'm not sure of the restriction for the turkey choke but it is the MOST restricted of the chokes available. .065" comes to mind... This LINK gives you barrel diameters.

Attachments

• chokeconstrictions.gif
    chokeconstrictions.gif
    36.8 KB · Views: 8
  • cylbore.jpg
    cylbore.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 7
  • modchoke.jpg
    modchoke.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 7
Now were cookin' !

I got mixed up on the restrictive choke sizes between 12 and 20 ga..........

I now understand that chokin' a Turkey barrel is not the same as chokin' the chicken !!

I am going to get me a skeet choke for my SA-20 when I get it to run right . I can't see me ever shooting a Turkey with it - I got it for taking care of bad people .

BTW, be sure not to buy a "Crio" choke as it is a different animal and won't fit. Didn't see any tubes on GB reasonably priced (ie: $20 or less) but there were several on Ebay... I haven't been able to find a "breacher" cyl. bore choke tube for it--I don't think anyone makes it (yet).

Back