• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Break in amount

Thomas Curatolo

Copper BB
Went to the range today. While shooting my 500, I think I may have short or slow shucked it a couple of times. All though couldn't tell if it was because of me or the 500. Went to shoot the next round and the trigger just went click. Not sure if a round was in chamber or if the bolt was not in battery. After the second time I payed closer attention to what I was doing and ran 15 shells without a hitch.

Welcome to the forum.

Is the 500 new? The actions on new 500's can be very stiff, mostly due to an excess of factory preservative grease throughout the shotgun's internals. A teardown, thorough cleaning, and light lube will go a long way toward loosening up the action. After you clean it up and shoot a few hundred rounds through it the thing will feel like it's on bearings...

Yes the 500 is new. I cleaned and lubed it when I got it home. I probably ran the pump about 200 times empty. I'm hoping it was just me. Familiar with pistols but this is my first shotgun.

There's still a bit of metal in metal that needs to work itself into grooves. The slide tube will wear on the mag tube and the action bars will wear into the inside of the receiver. It's all normal. Just pull that forend back until it stops and then slam it home. After a while you'll get used to the sound of the elevator bringing the next shell into position. The thing to remember about shotguns is they're built tough. Where pistols and rifles are built like precision instruments, the 500 is more of a hammer...

It's easy to short stroke them if you are shooting quickly. Had that happen a couple of times in 3-gun matches with a 500 that has a couple thousand rounds through it. Check the chamber and lightly buff it out to remove any machining grooves.

It's easy to short stroke them if you are shooting quickly. Had that happen a couple of times in 3-gun matches with a 500 that has a couple thousand rounds through it. Check the chamber and lightly buff it out to remove any machining grooves.
remove machining groves ?....

Thanks for the reply. I figure it was just me. Had a "blast" shooting it though.
new to pumps, its probably you. Shuck with authority , you wont hurt a thing

remove machining groves ?....

new to pumps, its probably you. Shuck with authority , you wont hurt a thing
No so much remove them as smooth the cylinder bore a bit. Maybe a poor choice of words. Some machining is better than others...

Welcome to the forum from Florida and congrats on your new Mossy.

After 10K + rounds my 870 feels really smooth now.

Haven't racked that rounds through my Mossy's yet.

The more you shoot them the smother they will get as the material causing friction between parts will smooth out over time .

when i was dealing with some issues with my 500 i did find some shall we say, rough machining. though not bad it did irritate me so i smoothed things out with some very very fine sandpaper. maybe its just me but things seemed to be smoother. so maybe just take a closer look. oil is yer friend.

Ok guys. It's been a year since I have taken my shot gun back to the range. I have been mainly focusing on pistols this last year.
The first 5 shells shot fine. After that I had a ftf with light primer strikes 6 out of the next 10 shells.
I had originally thought maybe the first time out a year ago was maybe my fault. But this time I know for certain that it is light primer strikes
Would this be the firing pin having issues or the hammer not hitting the pin hard enough?
I had cleaned the shot gun thoroughly after the first trip. And cleaned and lube before going this time.
Any suggestions?

Back