• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Breaking down of my 100ATR

vtelvr

Copper BB
If I were wanting to break down my rifle to change the color of the black synthetic stock, what is the best way to go about doing so? I am skilled in hands on type stuff, but with the internal magazine, I am uncomfortable with just pulling hardware and seeing what happens. I have looked in my manual and found the breakdown of parts, and it looks like just pulling the 2 screws from the underside of the rifle near the trigger guard will release the whole barrel and action from the stock. Is that a safe assumption?

Yes, that would be a correct assumption. I recently changed the stock on my ATR. Remove the two action screws on the bottom and the barrel will pull out of the stock. You will find the magazine box and spring that will come out as well. There isn't much to it really. Did you purchase a new stock? What stock will you be using?

Tim

I did not purchase a new stock...I am thinking of either having it hydro dipped or trying it myself with mydipkit.com product. For about $70 I can do it myself...not sure it would cost to have it done. There is a place close to my house that does this, but either way, I just want the stock done, so I will have to break it down either way.

Once I have the stock completed, I will have to figure out something for the barrel. I scratched it pretty good on my last hunt...damn golf cart!

vtelvr said:
I scratched it pretty good on my last hunt...damn golf cart!

Whatcha huntin' from a golf cart ;)

The magazine box may or maynot come along witht he action, it's only held in place by outward preasure from the stamped steel, but nothing to worry, you can only put it back one way... nothing to it! We'll certainly want to see some pictures once you get it dipped or DIY.

No problems, just undo the two screws, they are different lengths but if you get it wrong when you put them back you will soon know. Only real trick is mag follower. High side to high side of receiver, it will work alright but you will be one short in mag if it is the wrong way around. Had mine apart a number of times. Interested in how you get on with stock, changed mine out for a Boyd one and very happy with result.

aksavanaman said:
vtelvr said:
I scratched it pretty good on my last hunt...damn golf cart!

Whatcha huntin' from a golf cart ;)

The magazine box may or maynot come along witht he action, it's only held in place by outward preasure from the stamped steel, but nothing to worry, you can only put it back one way... nothing to it! We'll certainly want to see some pictures once you get it dipped or DIY.

Not hunting anything from the cart. The cart took me and 3 buddies all over 300acres this season. Always traveled with the barrel down, and over the bumpy roads, the barrel slipped under/next to the brake pedal. Once the pedal was pushed, it scratched the finish pretty good.

Back