• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Brenneke Black Magic 3" heavy magnum slugs in stock!

How are these better than other 1oz slugs?

Not being snarky, serious question.

I`m not man enough these days to be firing 3" magnums but Brenneke does make some fine slugs, I get `em for my .410 when I can find them.

How are these better than other 1oz slugs?

Not being snarky, serious question.

And at $2.60 per shell, it's a very pertinent question. The short answer is that they're not better than 1oz slugs in most scenarios. In fact, they're worse in all but a select few circumstances.

Two reasons I prefer them while in bear country:

1) Harder lead projectile vs standard foster slugs. It deforms less and doesn't fragment, which means it'll penetrate deeper thru bear fur, fat, muscle and bone.

2) External ballistics are better. It's a faster and heavier hunk 'o lead.

Brenneke Black Magic:
602 grains (1 3/8oz)
Muzzle Velocity 1,502 feet/s
3,014 ft/lb of energy at the muzzle

Federal Premium 1oz slug:
438 grains
Muzzle Velocity 1,300 feet/s
1,642 ft/lb of energy at the muzzle

The compromises (and there's always a compromise)
It's a lot more expensive per shell
It kicks like a mule
It's a 3" shell, so mag tube capacity is reduced.
Heavier/faster/harder slug means over penetration is a serious concern in urban scenarios.

A Foster lead slug is very very soft and is like a badminton shuttlecock in the air. And when it hits something it renders itself into a very thin projo.

A good Brenneke slug as was mentioned will drive thru stuff like a solid soup can.

Yup, I have a good supply of these I keep on hand. Bad ass ammo, have ran several down my 930 SPX. Kick like a MULE!

Absolutely love the Brenneke line of slugs but personally have no reason to shoot a 3" slug.

Throught my youth there was not a handgun, rifle, shotgun, or load I would not shoot. I never backed away from recoil. Now, probaly due to years of not backing down, my shoulder prefers lighter loads. LOL

When you absolutely, positively have to stop something in its tracks, turn to Brenneke and their 3" Magnum Crush 12-gauge slug.

666 grains, 1650 fps, 3850 ft/lbs at the muzzle.
Not a slug that you want to go plinking with. The Black Magic slug is right up there, VERY worthy, and something that your shoulder will appreciate more.

Both very capable slugs are a copy/clone/licensed from Guilandi (sp?), an Italian manufacturer of FINE shotgun shells.
There's an outfit in Georgia (?) whose name I forget, but they sell the slugs for reloading.
Their Guilandia-based slug is called something like "DGL" for "Dangerous Game Load". It is, if I remember correctly, a little heavier than the Crush, and has a little more antimony added to make it even harder.

Them Italians know some shotgun stuff. Watch "The Godfather". :rolleye:

When you absolutely, positively have to stop something in its tracks, turn to Brenneke and their 3" Magnum Crush 12-gauge slug.

Yep, that's a great slug. But the Magnum Crush is designed for a rifled barrel. I can be safely shot thru a smooth bore, just not as accurately.

True, and if I remember correctly, you can shoot it through a choked barrel (up to "Modified") with accuracy kind of suffering.
I'd hate to try shooting that slug through a turkey gun with a FULL XXX turkey choke. That would definitely fall into the "Not a Good Idea" category. :omg:

Back