• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Broken Safety

Sgt440

Copper BB
I just bought a 500A from a pawn shop. I shot it a few times when I brought it home then disassembled and cleaned it. When I removed the trigger assembly, I noticed a Y shaped piece fell off of it. I didn't think anything of it until I started to reassemble everything. That's when I noticed that it looked like a piece had broken off of the trigger assembly and the Y shaped piece had fallen off. I've been unable to locate a detailed schematic of the trigger assembly for comparison. Is it possible to replace the broken piece or will I have to replace the trigger assembly?

Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 303
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 303
I dont know that it can be repaired by the individual piece. Breaking down the trigger group is the part where the manual says not to attempt unless youre a gunsmith, so I leave it alone.

Additionally, I dont know that the piece is available seperately.

So I'm with oli.

Funny this same topic came up recently in another forum I post to. It's the #1 "broken Mossy" topic I've seen and been asked about over the years.

"The full stock bolt is way too long to ever cut down, though. The pistol grips use a far shorter bolt. The problem lies in folks who leave off the washers assuming they don't count for much. That sticks the stock bolt into the path of the safety connector and blocks the trigger from being pulled. The worst part, though, is the folks who insist on pulling the trigger harder to see if it'll work and they hear a tiny "click" as the safety connector tab snaps off in the trigger group. If you broke your safety connector tab, the safety won't ever work again until you get the trigger group fixed."

To fix that, you need to replace the trigger. Numrich often has them. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Det ... atid=11934 That's the nickel one, blue is sold out and they never have had the gold ones.

Be warned, it's not a repair I recommend anyone try that's not experienced with the Mossy trigger group. It's on the difficult side to reassemble it.

Be safe.

rich

If you take it apart- be prepared to find a gunsmith to reassemble it. It is NOT easy.
Getting the springs and monkey motion right is an art. If you get it wrong it is possible
for the gun to go "boom" at the most inopportune time!

Back