• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Buckshot Pattern Test

Nope, no bench rest.

All rounds were fired standing, off-hand. Not really trying to squeeze peak performance out of each round though. I'm more less interested how a random round will perform. Didn't dig any deeper into the Super X as far as consistency, but I'll send a few more rounds next time I'm out...

Outstanding report LES! I need to do at least one brand, the S & B 00 load, which has an attractive price point.

While the results from the Remington are surprising, it does offer "very close range" increased hit probability, which would rapidly diminish with longer range. All other considerations aside, i.e. inside the house OK, out on the ranch, not OK.

What's really cool, testing was done with the same shotgun many of us have here. We could expect very similar results. Interesting the breacher end serves as a flash suppressor as well.

Thank you Sir.

Never really thought about it, but the breacher tip is constructed much like an A2 "bird cage" flash hider on an AR. Makes sense when you think about what it's designed to do. I still have a few more rounds I want to try outta the 930, but I'm likely gonna go back and try everything I've shot so far out of my 20" 590A1 as well. It'll be interesting to see if I get any different results out of a pump with a slightly longer barrel...

I kind of skimmed through a lot of the comments so if this was addressed sorry....was POA the same on all targets? and where was it?

Absolutely.

I'm out shooting all the time, so I figured I might as well document some results to share in case anyone could benefit from the information. It's a good excercise and a great way to figure out what your shotgun likes best...

I recently patterned some Federal Flitecontrol #1 buckshot (LE132 1B) from my Mossberg 930 SPX. Basically a wad-sized pattern at 5, 10, & 15 yards and about a 10" spread at 20 yards.

Federal-1-B.jpg

Last edited:
That'll work!

At either distance it looks like the BG is having a really bad day. Nicely done...

L.E.S. First I'd like to thank you for putting the time and effort into these posts for our benefit, great work. Second I'm curious how the Spartan performed in your spx, were there any notable failures? I'm always curious about new low cost buckshot, especially the Spartan being low brass.

My pleasure Sir.

Thank you for the kind words. Any time I can get out with my shotguns is a win for me and if I can snap a few pics to help out our members I'm all for it. Glad to see you found the results interesting.

My 930 Tactical runs like a champ with the Spartan buck. It is my primary practice ammo for the range. The rounds are rated at 1315 fps, so there's plenty of poop to run the gas system, even with the shorter 18.5" barrel. I don't start running into any issues until I get into the 1250 fps range and below...

Thank you very much L.E.S.! As you said, many get out and shoot a bunch, but capturing and sharing this data is outstanding on your part. As I search for better prices on in stock ammo, info like yours can work well for rounds such as Rio that I have never used personally.

Absolutely.

The Rio was definitely the big surprise in my comparative testing. Its pattern is optimal for a defensive round in my situation and for the price per round it's hard to beat...

great, I buy a box of that hevi duty stuff yesterday and then last night I read this. the hd stuff is the only buck besides the 00 stuff that I have seen around here.
no other buck at all. but if I get a choice it will be #1 buck for hd, small house. great write up and tests.

Thank you Sir, glad you found it useful.

I'll tell you one thing, if the hevi duty is all you have it's certainly better than nothing. You may get better results than I did but every round out of the two boxes I shot performed the same. I'd be interested to know if you get better performance out of it...

well, today I went to big 5 as I was near by. looked at what they had and I noticed that they had rio. asked about any buckshot and surprise, they had 25 round boxes of royal #4 buck. fearfully I asked the price and was surprised that it was "on sale" for $20 ! so i happily bought a box. I think that will set me up till I can find some #1 buck. again, thanks for the test and write up !

Had a buddy hand me some turkey loads today gave em a try they work great but not safe for anyone around me the 930 ejected the shell 25' away crazy I'll find out what they were

Back