• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Budget Rifle Project *now with pics*

Is the stock exerting pressure onto the barrel, or even the receiver?

Not that I can tell. Though with the bipod the flex in the forend is more obvious. When I fire, the rifle kicks sideways which isn't in itself uncommon just that I wonder if in that instant there's enough flex that the stock contacts the barrel.

don't know man so many variables ........and like John I'm thinking your stock cant be connected to your barrel in a way that preloading a bipod would affect the barrel or even the receiver .
Now if the stock is naturally putting a funky pressure on your barrel and you zro with that pressure, then you remove the pressure by prloading the bipod.......maybe then

sounds like you need some side by side comparison

I know my bipod doesn't effect my barrel, yet I shoot better from a bagged gun no matter how I preload the bipod .....or dont

I shoot better prone vs seated

Are you doing anything to support the butt ?

any other even slight variables you can think of

I put my support hand under the butt when I shoot whether seated or prone. It's worked fairly well for me and I still use my backpack to some degree to help support the butt too. As you suggest with the side by side, I'll reset back to how we had been shooting before the bipod.

I've also wrapped the whole thing with burlap and twine. I'll remove the variables one at a time and see what clicks.

I have a Savage .22 with that same type poly stock, and the things are too flexible and light for a target gun IMO.

Also I have consistently shot better off sandbags than a bipod. Don't know why, but I do.

I'm in the market for a .223 target gun myself, and I haven't picked one yet, but people are pushing me to a Tika.

It's probably lots more than a Savage though. Not a budget rifle.

The TC Arms Compass is another that's getting pretty decent reviews.

I have a theory on my accuracy issues.

Rather than the bipod, the more I think about it, the more I believe that the real issue is what I've wrapped the gun with for camouflage.

I've used burlap, some cheap scrim, and a cut up gun sock, and tied it to the rifle with copious amounts of twine. Including down the length of the forend and barrel. In conjunction with the bipod, as I preload I'm also causing forces to react upon the barrel. It's no longer floated as it's all connected. This isn't a 1903 Springfield or SMLE. It's supposed to be a free floated barrel. And now it's not.

I'll be testing this hypothesis this morning.

IMG_0481.JPG

I don't know much about bipods but my theory goes like this:

When you rest your weapon on a bipod you're resting it on something very light. When resting it on a sandbag you resting on something very heavy.

Light things simply move & jiggle around much more easily than heavy things.

The sandbag stays put.

So far I find that I can almost pattern at 100 yards off a sandbag as well as fifty yards off my bipod.

This is a huge thing for me since I am strictly a target shooter.

^^^I've definitely had better results with the rifle rested on my backpack. Though a good stock and preloading the bipod should negate some of that.

Now ***The Return of Accuracy***

I removed everything. Taking all the wrap off helped, but similar to what you describe above Cadd, the bipod on a super flexy stock without being able to properly preload still didn't get me back to where I was.

I had been shooting 5 round groups with a break for cool down in between. I shot first with all the wrap removed and saw limited improvement. Then I fired another group to confirm. Then I shot a third group with the rifle rested on my backpack. Much better results. Then a fourth group with a warm barrel and different ammo which is ok but not awesome. Still not as wide in general as what i was seeing.

After resetting and rested on a backpack.

IMG_0575.JPG

Second group rested on a backpack and with a warm barrel. Also different ammunition.

IMG_0576.JPG

Yep, looks like it. I guess its a budget project for a reason lol

not the bipod.....its your shooting technique

all bagged guns will shoot better than on a bipod period , nothing to do with the bipod its self

not the bipod.....its your shooting technique

all bagged guns will shoot better than on a bipod period , nothing to do with the bipod its self

Am I doomed to sub par accuracy then with a bipod? Shoot more and get better so I suck less? lol
Recommendations? Would a bedded stock help?

Am I doomed to sub par accuracy then with a bipod? Shoot more and get better so I suck less? lol
Recommendations? Would a bedded stock help?
lol, I wouldn't say sub par at all, your gtg as far as Im concerned
just saying that it is extremely difficult for anyone to have technique good enough to shoot as good off a bi pod as good they shoot off a bagged gun.....a proper baged gun takes the shooter way out of the equation
I have spent a lot of time on both
I think if your going down the road of tight grouping each and every time your not going to have a budget rifle anymore.

Personally I would use the bipod as a rest on that rifle and not preoad it at all.......

Then I would go after the trigger if I wanted tighter groups....... but I wouldn't want to be in your cross hairs as it stands wrapped in that cool shit you had on it

Lol, well the only thing I intend to have in my cross hairs are errant dogs! I'm not looking for single hole groups. For my purposes, it's that first cold bore shot that's really matters. MOA is my goal. Every time. But I'm not interested in going down that rabbit hole if it means doubling the cost of the rifle. I'd consider a stock but that's about it.

Just got an order of 60 gr VMax from Freedom Munitions. I'll do some shooting tomorrow and see how it goes. I've not fired anything heavier than 55 gr before now and the Hornady VMax has produced some of my best repeatable groups of around 1.19 MOA.

I got the once fired brass for $.49 a round which actually makes these less than what I can buy FMJ for locally.

Did a couple groups this morning. POA is good with the 60 gr VMax so no adjustment. I'll try some 50 gr next time.

First group about 2" MOA

IMG_1126.JPG

Second group slightly better. I allowed the barrel to cool and the shot on the bull was the first shot.

IMG_1127.JPG

The budget rifle is not disappointing. If I never get anything better out of it I'm good with this.

I'm thinking you're gonna like the lighter bullet weight's grouping.

I've had the same thing happen in my MVP. 60gr+ didn't group as well as 55gr. And 50gr grouped the best with repeatable sub MOA groups

15400867148_5bee651f9d_z.jpg

Why am I grouping better with heavier bullets and poorer with lighter bullets?

I have shot 55, 60, 65, 68, 75 & 77, and so far my best luck has been with the 75 grain. Now those were not all the same brand bullets. Certainly not all set to the same pressure.

Some were Noslers, some were Hornadays, and some were Sierras.

I think I am pushing a little more pressure than the factory loads. ;)

I'm going to try a little more pressure behind the 68 grn Nosler and see if I can best the 75 grn Hornaday performance.

Why am I grouping better with heavier bullets and poorer with lighter bullets?

I have shot 55, 60, 65, 68, 75 & 77, and so far my best luck has been with the 75 grain. Now those were not all the same brand bullets. Certainly not all set to the same pressure.

Some were Noslers, some were Hornadays, and some were Sierras.

I think I am pushing a little more pressure than the factory loads. ;)

I'm going to try a little more pressure behind the 68 grn Nosler and see if I can best the 75 grn Hornaday performance.

What's your twist rate?

Back