• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Build Thread - 500MILS

Dewyz1100

.22LR
At long last!

Greetings everyone, I have finally gotten my parts back from WMD guns along with getting my armorer's bench setup in my new place... This morning I went right to work assembling my old Mossberg 500MILS pump 12gauge...

First off, for those that did not see the pics I posted in the 'new members' area, here are a few shots of the 500MILS with the original furniture and the OEM coating...

This was the very first firearm I ever purchased, and thought that after all these years of fun and home protection (the winter humidifier did a number on it), it deserved some extra TLC and some new surface treatments...

This would involve more of a tear down that I had ever done on this shotgun – the bolt and the fire control group...and all the springs that came along with it...

After bagging and labeling all the pieces parts, they were off to WMD Guns for coating...the only parts they did not coat were the two extractor arms for the bolt, and the firing pin itself...not sure why...

Here are the results...

I asked that the barrel, barrel nut, and fore grip nut receive the Nitromet coating... All others were to receive the Nickel-Boron coating – with the FCG, bolt, and control arms getting a high-polish treatment. The exterior of the mag tube and receiver also got a black ceramic coat so that they matched the Nitromet barrel...

Attachments

• Cropped - 50.jpg
    Cropped - 50.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 283
  • Model - 50.jpg
    Model - 50.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 281
  • NiBx - 50.jpg
    NiBx - 50.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 282
Nitromet items:

All new factory springs were installed along the way, and an extra power mag tube spring from Wolff Springs... Here is an assembly picture of the FCG and the Bolt...

After all was put back together, I replaced the stock with an ultimate ATI tactical Talon stock... Here is the finished product:

This was a big first step, but I have a few more to go...

Attachments

• Nitromet - 50.jpg
    Nitromet - 50.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 271
  • Assemblies - 50.jpg
    Assemblies - 50.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 271
  • Together - 50.jpg
    Together - 50.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 271
I have a Warhammer tri-rail system for this, however the included barrel brackets were only meant for the standard 12gauge barrel...this being a military barrel it has thicker walls, so once my buddy gets his tooling set for his mill, some custom brackets will be made...

Here is a preview:

Also, once funds become available, I plan to replace the OEM fore grip with a Shurfire lighted grip...and then possibly some sweet rail mounted items... :)

Let me know what you think...

Happy for now...just have to take it to the range to break in the action...!

Attachments

• Warhammer - 50.jpg
    Warhammer - 50.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 271
Sweet looking boom stick. Weird they didn't coat the two extractor arms and the firing pin. They didn't give an explanation? :roll:

Looks great even still..

Thanx for posting up for all to see. We all love to see the process...well...at least I know I do. :ugeek:

I contacted several companies that provide these coatings before pulling the trigger with WMD Guns...same result as to what they will or won't coat...

I believe it is a combination of not wanting the coating to interfere with operations due to the additional thickness...and the liability involved with possible failure to fire/extract in a life or death situation...

I sent in various internal aftermarket Glock components they chose not to coat either...probably for the same reasons...

Seen plenty of NiBx Glocks, and I have one that I would like to have done, but I had never seen a shotgun with this done...figured mine is as good as any... :)

Dewyz1100 said:
I contacted several companies that provide these coatings before pulling the trigger with WMD Guns...same result as to what they will or won't coat...

I believe it is a combination of not wanting the coating to interfere with operations due to the additional thickness...and the liability involved with possible failure to fire/extract in a life or death situation...

I can see their hesitation factor... :roll:

Well, here is the only combination I was able to find that fit the bill for my requirements concerning the pistol grip weapon light...

Surefire G2X mounted within a Fab Defense T-Grip fore-grip along with a Fab Defense PR-MO hand guard mounted on the 500MILS...

I will have to massage the T-Grip a little bit to get rid of some rough edges, but overall the setup works well...hope it holds up under multiple shell shots...

Light01_zpsb9792a49.jpg

Light02_zpsbbec49e6.jpg

Light03_zpsea0c4434.jpg

Back