• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cam pics

When i was a kid in north Alabama(i could throw a rock across creek that bordered our land and it would land in Tennessee) it was rabbits squirrels and quail. Deer was rare occurrence they just werent around. Times have really changed i wonder did the PETA commercials bring back game populations or has it been the BILLIons of dollars and hours of hard work from dedicated sportsman ?

We used to have a lot of grouse.

Sadly, their numbers were in decline when I was growing up, and I've only seen 2 in the last 15 years probably.

And I loved eating grouse. It was my favorite of all wild game.

Load up the boys and camping gear. Head to north Carolina between franklin and dillard. The nanahalla and standing indian areas are full of grouse. Its hard hunting as far as logging trails up and down mountains a dog is nice but not 100% necessary. Havent been up there in couple years but i always had good time being humbled by grouse blazing thru tree cover like an F16 in a dog fight.

I'm used to that kind of terrain. I was born and raised and still live in the Appalachian mountains. That's the kind of terrain I've been in about all my life LOL

Had breakfast with neighbor this morning we looked at some pics from this time last year these are actually right on property line between us. Wondering who survived and who didnt. We had identified about 8 bucks from small to mature. Have only seen 3 since January this year. Terry does not hunt not opposed to it just not of interest to him. Ps he picked up this paticular camera for 10 bucs in a pawn shop its really old but it takes pretty good pics. Why do they stop in this spot to pose a very simple deer cane mineral hole we put there. SUNP0263.JPG SUNP0252.JPG SUNP0249.JPG SUNP0199.JPG SUNP0214.JPG Anyhow enjoy.

Great looking bucks.

Are yours still wearing velvet on their rack? Best I can tell, it looks like it.

Great looking bucks.

Are yours still wearing velvet on their rack? Best I can tell, it looks like it.
Bear in mind those pics are from one year ago and ive yet to see those bucks this year.
Yes we are still velvet but we still have 6 weeks till bow opens.

Get lots activity temp took a nice dive 2 days ago feels great early morning. Lots of does passing thru. I do have couple deer that refuse to break the woodline there is a well used trail about 30 yards in i may carefully ease in and put up a camera getting pretty close to really thick beds so i try to stay out of there. EnjoyPICT0005 (2).JPG PICT0076.JPG PICT0089.JPG PICT0066.JPG

You have deer falling all over themselves on your property.

I have neighbor club across creek to thank they 100 times more land and better land. But they yayhoos running 4 wheelers like crazy and they have shooting area not just for a few sight in deer rifle shots they blast away for hours on end with every manor of firearm all times of day and night blowing up theyre hunting woods. I left a sanctuary thick and nasty with good food and no traffic. If i want to harvest one i can but im careful and try and put no pressure.

You're using your noggin.

And managing your property correctly.

And that's why they're on your property and not so much theirs.

But I will tell you my opinion about avoiding the area.

I think that's a bit flawed.

Deer are social creatures. They recognize things not just by sight, but by smell.

If you are in the area regularly, they get used to your scent and it won't spook them. They'll be like, Oh, there's that man that gives us tasty treats. Wonder what he left for us this time.

My recommendation may be entirely against "hunting show logic" where they want you to buy their sprays and cover scents and stuff.

But if they're used to you, you'll have nothing you need to cover.

They might be skiddish for a while because they aren't used to you. But after a while, if you frequent the area enough, you'll even be able to take a whiz near your stand and not scare them off. Trust me on that one.

You're using your noggin.

And managing your property correctly.

And that's why they're on your property and not so much theirs.

But I will tell you my opinion about avoiding the area.

I think that's a bit flawed.

Deer are social creatures. They recognize things not just by sight, but by smell.

If you are in the area regularly, they get used to your scent and it won't spook them. They'll be like, Oh, there's that man that gives us tasty treats. Wonder what he left for us this time.

My recommendation may be entirely against "hunting show logic" where they want you to buy their sprays and cover scents and stuff.

But if they're used to you, you'll have nothing you need to cover.

They might be skiddish for a while because they aren't used to you. But after a while, if you frequent the area enough, you'll even be able to take a whiz near your stand and not scare them off. Trust me on that one.
No your thinking does have proven merit. Ive experienced on more than a couple occasion hunting farm property were the farmer was out and about alot. The deer paid almost no attention to him or his loud tractors and truck etc... Ive seen same thing on big bird hunt plantations riding thru on there gator or hunting buggy right past feeding deer who barely raised an eyebrow as we passed. They definetly become used to things. I do walk AROUNd the habitat but i avoid the "bedroom" so to speak.

OK, I gotcha. I thought you were avoiding the whole entire area altogether.

I wouldn't want to scare them awake or nothing. That would take a while for their jitters go get back to normal.

I got a look at a young buck with potential if he can survive another 2 years. Slipped a camera over one of kill plots we cut in a pretty thick area. He literally crept PICT0008 (5).JPG PICT0019 (6).JPG in thru stuff thick enough to get a rabbit stuck did not even consider using the little doe trail.

Also just a quick product shout out. Ive not been one to use the "throw grow" stuff in past. I typically purchase seeds from local Co-op store and do plots the hard way. But i had some places hard to get to and small i wanted to try. This stuff was at tractor supply for 15 bucs so bought a bag. Its been great in shade and unprepped soil i simply raked the area clean and spread. Not expecting much to my suprise it works. Ive bought 2 more bags.1505400447410675628966.jpg

I'd lean toward coon if you have any corn or feed nearby. Not sure how high the camera is off the ground though, so you may have gotten a shot of your elusive bobcat.

Bobcats and lynx stand about knee high. And that picture would indicate that whatever it was is at least a little taller than the camera lens.

That stuff has sprouted up good.

Will it come back on its' own next year?

Yes the Rye will def come back. In fact with a vengance rye pretty aggressive. Now the clover in there depends on what type some will some wont. Ive actually done 6 additional spots with this mix and all have come up good. But spread it WHEN its actually raining not just a predicted rain.

Back