• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Camo

Chris C

.270 WIN
I'm wanting to buy a Hogue 12'LOP stock and fore grip, but want a camo finish. Unfortunately, Hogue doesn't make this stock in any of their camouflage patterns. :cry: I spent the majority of my life in the industrial plastic and rubber business, so I know trying to paint the rubber stock would be a lesson in futility. I've seen some pictures from someone who shortened a synthetic stock here on the forum (can't find the image right now) and I'm wondering if the same could be done to one of Hogues full-sized camo stocks. Anyone here on the forum who has a Hogue stock who might know what it looks like when the recoil pad is removed? Does it look as if the stock could be shortened and still be able to mount the recoil pad? Or is the Bantam stock available in camo? I'm just not a fan of all black firearms.

Chris, what about maybe buying the 12" LOP and sending it out to by Hydro-dipped? The rubber part could be tapped off or what not and then the rest could be dipped into what ever camo you want!

I'm not understanding you. First off, I'm not familiar with Hydro-dipping. Second, it's the black stock I want camo'd..........not the receiver or barrel.

Edit: I just checked out the Hydro-dipping and don't think that's something I want to pay for. Besides, as I said, all I want is the stock and fore-grip in camo. But thanks for the suggestion. Learned something new.

Hydro-dipping can be done to almost anything, if it fits in the tank, it isn't too big! lol You can have the stock and forend done at the same time for one price. But if you are not wanting to pay the fee, I really can't blame you as I cannot bring myself to pay that much either lol..... BUT it was/is an option available and maybe in the future you can go that route if all else fails. Some people have scopes, red dots, EOTech Sights, all kinds of things done. I have seen Deer Skulls and Antlers done!! :mrgreen: So definitely not just the barrel and/or receiver that can only be processed. Again, was only food for thought :)

Hmmmmm. Didn't see anything on the site I went to that indicated they could do a Hogue rubber stock. Maybe I just wasn't looking close enough. But it was certainly pricey. I'm not without funds, but the pricing seemed pretty stiff just for me to satisfy my whiim. ;)

Edit: Just checked and this cannot be done to rubber because it will not adhere.

I know nothing about painting rubber but I have painted 2 of my 500's with a sponge paint camo.
Paint adheres real well to the synthetic stock and forearm.

LTB45 said:
I know nothing about painting rubber but I have painted 2 of my 500's with a sponge paint camo.
Paint adheres real well to the synthetic stock and forearm.

show him some pics of bubba LTB.

Having owned and operated a plastic manufacturing company for more years than I care to admit, I know how to paint plastic.............and my factory synthetic stock could easily be adorned. But I want the "grip" of the Hogue Overmolded rubber.

Itsricmo said:
The rubber part could be tapped off or what not and then the rest could be dipped into what ever camo you want!

;) I know the rubber cannot be dipped but neither can the glass on an optic and they still dip scopes lol. They tape/mask/cover/etc... the part that is not to be dipped and leave the rest open to the process. The end product would look similar to a TC Encore stock where the grip would be black and the rest of the stock would be camo.

Not exactly the same but you should get the general idea:
003277small_zps230bc057.jpg

Guess I'm being "thick headed" tonight Itsricmo, but isn't the entire Hogue stock and fore-grip rubber coated? If so, what would I have them tape off? They say they can't coat rubber.

LTB45, those look great.............especially the second one. If I didn't really want a rubber stock, I'd grab my sponges. (my wife is a professional sponge painter and would have a ball doing that to my stock.)

lol no worries, we all have our days! :lol:

The entire stock is in fact, not completely coated in rubber. The grip area is only coated and the rest of the stock is straight Plastic-Fantastic :p

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I had no idea! After reading more closely, I noted that on their site. My assumption was the entire grip was over-molded with rubber. Is the fore-grip completely over-molded?

There are lots of stocks in camo..................as well as Hogues. I'd buy theirs if the shortie were available in it. But now I'm thinking "buy the camo fore-grip of my choice and the 12"LOP stock and maybe sponge the stock to mimic the fore-grip. Hmmmmm.

OHH! Gotcha! That would be something for a more seasoned firearms modifier lol... I don't know off the top of my head anyone who has done this but I know, as you have mentioned, it has been discussed.

Is the "High Tuck" not an option anymore or is it still being thought about?

"High Tuck" not at option for my tiny little wife. That might change after getting the shorter stock with the rubber grip...............but we'll see. She's not very interested at this point.

I've been on-line and researching cutting off the standard Hogue stock. Not a big deal, as I see it. Think I'll just order the camo I want and go for it. If I do, I'll chronicle the process and post pics.

As always, thanks for your help. Neophyte on this end is much appreciative.

Shortening the stock could get tricky, since as was mentioned on the other thread there probably wouldn't be anywhere to attach the buttpad to in the shorter configuration. You would probably have to epoxy in something to use as a mounting point.

If I was in your position and dead-set on the short LOP with a camo finish I would really look into the hydro-dipping. This is how the factory-made stocks get their finishes as well as bows, scopes, magazines, knives and anything else you've ever seen camo that isn't cloth. The rubber overmolded parts of the Hogue would be masked off and the camo film would cover the rest. This stuff is tough as nails when it's done right......and on that note, if you choose to go this route, send it out to a professional. The DIY kits are hit and miss on how well they work and the pro's have already went through the "learning curve" that can eat up an entire DIY kit.

A friend of mine has used http://www.midwesthydrodesigns.com/ several times for having skulls/antlers dipped as well as getting a full Carbon Fiber treatment put on his Glock. I'm really contemplating sending out the ATI stock and forend off my 500 to him for a high-gloss Burl Walnut finish just to make it different than the others.....kind of a Classical/tactical mash-up.

EDIT: This guy charges $50 for dipping a buttstock.....well worth it.

Back