• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Camo

Tim, thanks for that link and the price! $50 is a STEAL!!! Other similar companies are charging $90 for the buttstock alone..

Not a problem Ricmo.....I actually looked into starting up a Hydro-Dipping gig as a side business, dropping cards at area gun shops, etc. But with my kids being as young as they are I decided against taking any more time away from them right now.

Tim4k5 said:
Shortening the stock could get tricky, since as was mentioned on the other thread there probably wouldn't be anywhere to attach the buttpad to in the shorter configuration. You would probably have to epoxy in something to use as a mounting point.

Actually, Tim, this would be no problem for me. It's not the least bit intimidating. An afternoon's work..........and a pleasant one at that.

The price to Hydro-dip the stock would be cheaper than my time to do the shortening job, but then the fore-grip and stock wouldn't match.

Think my mind is made up.

Okay, Step 1............just ordered the stock, fore-grip and nut. We'll see what happens. Hogue told me the standard LOP for their stocks is 14", so I'll be cutting 2" off.

Just a side note:

I've a close friend who is a "suit". (lawyer) Yesterday we were talking firearms and he told me that in this new "volatile" environment, he'd rather be defending a homeowner who had to shoot an intruder with a "hunting" firearm instead of a "tactical" or "assault" weapon. I told him I could make this shotgun look like either............and that it made no difference to the recipient of the charge what it looked like. He said "maybe not to the recipient............but it will to a jury!" Found his comment interesting. These are sad times, indeed.

Chris C said:
He said "maybe not to the recipient............but it will to a jury!" Found his comment interesting. These are sad times, indeed.

that's a very interesting statement and unfortunately there may be some truth to it, and yes these are sad times indeed... Good luck with your project, I look forward to seeing pictures of what you come up with.

Chris C said:
I've a close friend who is a "suit". (lawyer) Yesterday we were talking firearms and he told me that in this new "volatile" environment, he'd rather be defending a homeowner who had to shoot an intruder with a "hunting" firearm instead of a "tactical" or "assault" weapon.
People been spewing this crap for years. I challenge you and him to produce evidence of this. In a justified shooting, produce evidence where the look and or type of firearm used was the deciding factor in a justified home defense shooting…..post your results here or a new thread if you prefer.

"People been spewing this crap for years. I challenge you and him to produce evidence of this. In a justified shooting, produce evidence where the look and or type of firearm used was the deciding factor in a justified home defense shooting…..post your results here or a new thread if you prefer."

Whoa, olli, chill just a little bit. To start with, he was not talking about "years" past. He said, "in this volatile environment". I think he meant with the way things are since Feinstein and all her cronies have stirred up all this stuff about "assault weapons", etc.

I was just sharing something a friend had told me. Frankly I wouldn't call it "spewing crap". It was just his opinion based on his experiences in the courtroom. I had just shared with him I was "working up" a home defense weapon, but wasn't crazy about all the black weapons and that I wanted a firearm that looked more like a hunting shotgun. As far as I'm concerned, this is still a free country and everyone still has a right to their opinions, whether I agree with them or not. Personally, I don't care for all black firearms. That doesn't mean I think you.........or anyone else should get rid of their tactical or black firearms. As I said, it's still a free country. Sorry if his/my comments set you off. No offense was intended.

Tim4k5 said:
Not a problem Ricmo.....I actually looked into starting up a Hydro-Dipping gig as a side business, dropping cards at area gun shops, etc. But with my kids being as young as they are I decided against taking any more time away from them right now.

Certainly a respectable choice! If you get into the gig you will have to let me know ;)
Member Discount right? :lol: :lol: ACP45AP has his own business, "Defense (Something)".. I have been trying to get ahold of him for a quote on an idea I had but haven't had much success, although I know he is busy.

Hot Dog! I just ordered a Limbsaver Kodiak-Lite Camo sling for my 500. That ought to go real well with the Hogue camo stock and fore-grip I ordered. As the Phil Robertson says on Duck Dynasty..........Happy-Happy-Happy! :lol:

Don’t apologize. I simply have been hearing this …..crap for years along with the rest of the lawful home defenders. It is one of those subjects that come up on gun boards that have absolutely no weight in a justified HD shooting.
It’s the kind of talk that just isn’t warranted or needed when we are talking law abiding citizens ….sorry you friend is scared to defend a law abiding citizen. If you are justified in your action and your weapon is legal then how is it going south because the color of your gun ?
Now if you are the ever so slightest wrong in taking a human life I don’t care if you were packing Teddy Roosevelt’s African safari rifle your getting put away…..so next time your friend offers that up, engage him with some intelligent questions and see if he is just blowing smoke or if he has actually dealt with the situation…..sorry if you think I was offended, I wrote it with a smile on my face….

You and I are riding the same horse on this one, oli. Couldn't agree with you more. Just thought his comment was interesting. Especially his wording of "hunting firearm " verses an "assault weapon". I think his attitude, along with anyone else who looks at firearms from this viewpoint, is ludicrous................but still, I found it interesting, which is why I shared it.

oli700 said:
...I don’t care if you were packing Teddy Roosevelt’s African safari rifle...

Oli.. just because I know this is the LOVE of you and every gun board.... :shock: OVER PENETRATION!! :shock:

(tee hehe now I gone and done it!) ;)

I can somewhat understand the point the Lawyer is trying to make. It isn't about legality in regards to the law, it's about the perception of the jury......and more specifically what the Lawyer can make them see. Some States have laws on the books that state that if a defensive shooting is considered justified, either by the investigators or by a trial, than you are not open to civil suits concerning the case. Some states don't have that law......and Civil suits play a different set of rules.

Stopping the armed crack-head kicking your front door in at 3am with a tac'd out Mossberg 500 will probably be ruled a justifiable shooting by investigators......But if the "fine, upstanding, young man, who was a good boy and turning his life around"s family is able to take you to civil court the lawyer will try to swing the Jury to see that your 500 was clearly designed to kill humans.......the defendant obviously had spent a considerable amount of time and money assembling this weapon that was modified as heavily as anything the Navy SeALs use.......Waiting for the opportunity to use this Assault Shotgun on any suspected burglar, with no plan on scaring the offender away, simply the plan to live out a video-game fantasy and kill the bad guy.

Complete Horsecrap? Yup.......
Could it actually happen? Yup.......God forbid you didn't kill the intruder with the 500 and only paralyzed him.....

Would it make me change how I was setting up a defensive shotgun? Nope......most of the tactical type add-ons for shotguns are used because they work, and they make the gun a better tool for defending me and my loved ones. I would much rather lose everything I owned in a civil suit than to have to stand at the funeral of someone in my home because the third intruder got a shot off as I was in the process of reloading my double-barrel.

What do you call 10,000 lawyers chained to a boulder on the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean?

A good start......
:) :) :)

Well, to get back to the subject of the camo Hogue Stock and Fore-grip................

I'm a pretty patient fellow, but I ordered the stock from Hogue on the 19th of February...........and I know it's only the 7th of March, but I just sent them an e-mail to see if they had any idea when it might ship. They said to check back with them in 30 days! :eek: Can't imagine why they'd be backed up that far on a hunting stock. I can see why they might be back ordered if they were selling me a tactical stock, but geesh!!!!!!! :shock: Oh well, the saga continues! :lol:

Chris C said:
Hot Dog! I just ordered a Limbsaver Kodiak-Lite Camo sling for my 500. That ought to go real well with the Hogue camo stock and fore-grip I ordered. As the Phil Robertson says on Duck Dynasty..........Happy-Happy-Happy! :lol:

Got my Limbsaver Camo Sling in about a week or 10 days after ordering it. But the screw that goes into the cap on my barrel didn't come in until today. Put the sling on and absolutely love it. I think this is the most comfortable sling I've ever had on a firearm. Highly recommended.

Chris,some weeks ago I reduced the lenght of the original stock of my Mossberg 500 in one inch without problems.It is not difficult.I used a manual metal saw and a file for finish.To fit the recoil pad I used my Dremel tool.Now the LOP is 13.5".
[img]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk77/jselous/IMG_2078copia_zps111ff8e7.jpg[/img]
If you want to reduce the lenght in 1"or 1.5" maximun ,there won´t be problem (in a Mossberg stock).But if you cut 2.5" in a stock with 14.5 LOP could not be a good idea. :?: Anyway,check the depth of the screw holes before cutting it.
I am thinking in ordering the Hogue 12"LOP stock to use it permanently in my 500.I never hear a bad word about it.
About the camo ,I have a friend who has painted his Savage .308 rifle(could be a 110) and Millett scope with Krylon and aerograph tool.Take a look.
[img]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk77/jselous/P1010129.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk77/jselous/P1010117.jpg[/img]

Thanks for the tips. I'm not worried about shortening the Hogue stock. It will be relatively easy with the skills I have.

Really nice camo paint job. I like it.

Back