• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Camp stoves and lanterns

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
I mean we geek out over axes, knives, and shovels. So why not.

Here's my Canadian Coleman 414. Dual burner, 17,000 BTU rated on white gas.

Dual Fuel model so can also run unleaded.

Got it straight from Canada via Ebay, shipping was near equal to purchase price, still under a hundo though.

I've not tried real hard to date it yet. Was listed as Vintage though. After a 24 hour soak in denatured alcohol, and learning the nuance of lighting she burns real good. Nice clean even flames.

949891ea12c9af4efd301686ae4e55d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Don't know If you model is so marked but if you look at the mounting tab on the fuel tank most show the manufacturing date on the bottom side of the tab.

Looks like a great find. I've had an old Coleman for several decades and it never fails to work perfectly. I've found that using Coleman fuel or a third party equivalent you can preclude the problems caused by unleaded. Little more expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Regards

That coleman duel fuel is a all time fav camping/emergency stove. Great purchase, i have a pretty old one passed from my dad its in Bama so i cant give a pictures till next week going down for thanksgiving. I also have one of the liquid fuel coleman lanterns. There is just something about the glow from a proper mantel and the distinct odor the put out. Yup i like the post. Give me a little im gonna go get my backpack ing stove for ya it is the cats pajamas.

20181117_155106.jpg good latern sorry had one broke mantle wasnt making one just for you. Lol
Chiming in on the fuel end yes my exp is actual coleman white gas seems best ive had an off brand be finicky as for regular gas ive always used ethanol free with good results

@meanstreak all your fault mia koppa but i am manic/passionate about such things. Lol
My fav stove last few years is this little titanium BRS its light as a quarter seriously a quarter will boil water in 120 seconds depending temp and elevation. Super small and a real bargain buy 2 on amazon !!!! Im an avid hiker and usually solo weight is important but i do like certain comforts or i aint goin hot coffee and grub on occasion is required. An 8oz iso fuel can lasts me alone 7 to 10 day depending. For many years i was a MSR whisperlight international still great stove but akward compared and bulkier. The brs is super fast deployment and your cookin it is very adjustble for low simmer a nice feature. Anyhow heres some pics.
Ps edit were i headed somewhere i wasnt sure about iso avail id be packing the msr international again no question
20181117_155825.jpg 20181117_155944.jpg 20181117_160059.jpg 20181117_160042.jpg

Here is the old MSR whisperlite international uses multi-fuel, wide range of stuff. This one is from early 90s truly been international, its retired now for most part, but its a good one.
Just fired it up on porch with some kerosene. 1222181241(1).jpg the difference in size and weight is amazing to my new teeny stove, BUT the old MSR is surely more versatile, just bigger heavier, stood test of time and use, still in production today and highly respected.

Last edited:
I was doin my maintaining and was amazed at size weight difference between early 90s and today, no doubt my older is awesome proven BUT I do enjoy the weight space savings. The ??? Which best well Il let ya know in 25 years.
Pic old stove 10 1222181511(1).jpg 1222181513(1).jpg oz. Vs , new stove 2oz.
And old pump water filter vs new Sawyer mini filter, fits on a water bottle or bladder, the sawyer will do 100k gallons, my old sweetwater 750liters between filter changes depending.....

Here is the old MSR whisperlite international uses multi-fuel, wide range of stuff. This one is from early 90s truly been international, its retired now for most part, but its a good one.
Just fired it up on porch with some kerosene. View attachment 19640 the difference in size and weight is amazing to my new teeny stove, BUT the old MSR is surely more versatile, just bigger heavier, stood test of time and use, still in production today and highly respected.

I have a whisterlite that I bought in the early 90s and like yours it's been a great stove. Don't hike much anymore due to age but it resides in my emergency kit that stays in the Jeep year round. I've had no problems with it other than recently replacing the plastic fuel pickup hoses inside the fuel bottle. I bought a spares kit with it back in the early 90s and have never needed to replace anything. Great stove.

Regards

This thread gives me a stiffie.........
It actually has me upset after seeing diesels Coleman ive looked for mine both here and in Bama with no luck, dad gave me his we used when I was a kid and it's Mia !! We will have inquisition over Christmas with the kids, I want my stove back now !!!!!!

I was telling the wife last night about the Coleman 520, and 530. Antiquated no doubt, but would like to have one, on just cause. I suppose I could settle for a modern Coleman 533. I may just keep an eye out for one of the MSR whisperlite though. No sense passing up a good deal if I find it.

@dieselmudder i would Love a Coleman 520 civil defense stove from the 40's with the case/cook kit :)
Antiquated ??? Kinda like wood logs aint giving them up.

Some of us "antiques" are, from my biased point of view, only getting better with age!

These old Coleman stoves and lanterns will still be going strong when we're all gone. Have an old two burner stove like shown above and two lanterns. Just keep a stock of extra mantels on hand and you're good to go. Burning clean fuel is the key to long life.

Regards

Last edited:
I was telling the wife last night about the Coleman 520, and 530. Antiquated no doubt, but would like to have one, on just cause. I suppose I could settle for a modern Coleman 533. I may just keep an eye out for one of the MSR whisperlite though. No sense passing up a good deal if I find it.

Problem I just found this one while shopping for something else, hmmmm I REALLY like the added fuel option, the International was already good multi fuel this one goes extra step, multi multi. Need to find a sale
Screenshot_2018-12-28-09-21-35.png

Back