• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Can a dirty rifle "lockup" a lever action 22 ?

Oh, I should mention- I fully realize it seems quite obvious that being dirty caused the proble. Since cleaning it fixed it, seems kinda like a dumb question., But I ask because, I'm kinda surprised being dirty would lock the lever- I could see messing up the firing mechanism,...but then again, I am a bit of a rookie still.

.22 is an inherently dirty ammo. Some tolerances are probably tighter than others, therefore those are the parts that will succumb to to the dirt and grit first. Ive got a,semi auto .22 pistol that will start having failure to feed, and failure to eject issues before failure to fire.

My experience with .22 is with semi auto rifles and really only very little.

But, it too would get dirty quickly and begin to have failures with the action stuck open. I could pull it back and get it to release, but it became a single shot rifle in that case.

Were they Remington Thunderbolts?

Those were the dirtiest I've ever shot and jammed my guns up real bad

No, I just realized- lever-22s- what am I thinking? I was asking about my Marlin 30-30 and put it on the wrong forum. Feel like an idiot- sorry guys. The wife's 715 is doing great :confused::)

No worries!! If nothing else it started a discussion on dirty 22 rounds that may be of benefit to another user. ;)

Never had that problem with my Win 9422M, which I've shot regularly for 40 years. I suppose it's possible, but I'd think it would be a mechanical problem if it's a recent issue. Can't really speak to your Marlin, but lever action guns are usually pretty forgiving.

Back