• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Can Brake Kleaner be used to clean firearms ?

rene

I am a automotive tech, and I use frequently use the automotive product called brake kleaner to clean any grease or dirt on a component from a car that its severly dirty. And this thing works !!! I was wondering, does any body has ever cleaned their guns with this product ?

Brake cleaner can certainly be used but make sure its the non-chlorinated version (less aggressive) and spray some test areas first. It has been know to occasionally react with some plastics and finishes.

DHonovich said:
Brake cleaner can certainly be used but make sure its the non-chlorinated version (less aggressive) and spray some test areas first. It has been know to occasionally react with some plastics and finishes.

And about for lubrication ? I read that some people use motor oil 10W30. Its that good ?

There is a lot of debate as to what is the best lubricant. A lot depends on your environment as well (cold vs hot vs dry dusty vs wet) but for me i have really become a big fan of frog lube.

DHonovich said:
There is a lot of debate as to what is the best lubricant. A lot depends on your environment as well (cold vs hot vs dry dusty vs wet) but for me i have really become a big fan of frog lube.

I read your article about that. Where it can be found ?

There are only a few dealers online that I know of. I have been debating becoming a dealer for them but I am up in the air about it.

Simple Green works and is less toxic.

Pump action shotguns are pretty tolerant so motor oil or synthetic oil should work, although in a dusty climate it might pick up more grit. On semi-autos i wouldn`t fool around--I`d just get some break Free CLP.

bubba in c.a. said:
Simple Green works and is less toxic.

Pump action shotguns are pretty tolerant so motor oil or synthetic oil should work, although in a dusty climate it might pick up more grit. On semi-autos i wouldn`t fool around--I`d just get some break Free CLP.

+1 on the synthetic oil. And I agree, use it sparingly if you are in a dusty climate, as it can end up holding the dust and getting caked into the action.

Break-Free CLP works well, and is what I usually use. I've also started using Slip 2000 cleaner/degreaser, followed up with Slip 2000 extreme weapons lube (EWL) for my bolts, or Slip 2000 gun lube.

It can be hard to find at times, so Break-Free is always on hand - or a squeeze bottle of synthetic motor oil (mobil 1) ;)

Re: Shotgun Cleaning ?

As a retired mechanic, I tend to do things my own way also.
Would someone enlighten me as to why people hate the inexpensive
3 piece cleaning rods. I can't see spending $25+ on a one piece rod
for a shotgun. Aluminum rod vs Steel bbl = rod will wear and not scratch bbl.
Bore mop with Remington 40-X or Hoppe's 9 followed by bronze brush followed by a lot of patches.
If the bore is really bad I just chuck the bronze brush in a slow speed drill, although
drill speed isn't to critical. It definitely gets the lead out. Before I use patches,I just use small
pieces of paper towel (with bore cleaner) to push the heavy stuff out.
When it is clean, i use a little 3-in-1 oil, if I run out of gun oil.

been cleaning guns since I was old enough to dirty them...never owned a one piece rod. I like the idea of the brush in the drill. I have been shooting so many slugs lately and the lead fowling is really bad. I am going to try the drill brush because its taking me about an hour to scrub it out by hand.Thanks

i have a milwaukee 12v drill. the new small version. and i use that with the wire brush in my kit. and hoppes #9 after. works great. and to think i was the only one who used a drill. gotta save time somehow...

Gotta hand it to Rene- Brake Cleaner is a real time saver. Bore mop with Hoppes 9, Brush with patch+
hoppes 9 and chucked in drill- 6 or 8 passes thru bbl and flush with Brake cleaner. 3 or 4 oiled patches and voila! bbl is clean, clean, clean!!! What used to be an hour job and a mess is now 15-20 min.
Great Idea!!!

oli700 said:
been cleaning guns since I was old enough to dirty them...never owned a one piece rod. I like the idea of the brush in the drill. I have been shooting so many slugs lately and the lead fowling is really bad. I am going to try the drill brush because its taking me about an hour to scrub it out by hand.Thanks

when you do it, just remember the old time butter churner rig. use up n down motion and don't leave it one spot for too long. also if it gets too hot let it (the brush) cool down a few. so use low speed.

if you can find a one piece rod, use that instead of the 3 piece set. that way you can use it with the drill in both forward and reverse.

I have used brake cleaner from time to time.

One thing about Simple Green is that it will end up wearing anodizing down on aluminum parts-that is why the military forbids the use of it on the M-16. Now, the Mossberg has a aluminum receiver so be careful.

As to lube's, I have tried a lot. I loved the old CLP but since the reformulated recipe, it is not one I really care for. Lately I have been using MilPro--like it and seems to be doing a great job. Another one that my brother has been using lately is Ballistol. I have used Ballistol on corrosive ammo cleaning for a while but for a lube I have not done much with it. I do know the Ballistol seems to ooze itself a lot as m y bro's shotgun throws the stuff on the glasses when shooting.

Back