• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Chainsaw for firewood...

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
I am just curious what everyone uses to cut up their firewood before splitting it...

I am considering getting a new Husqvarna 550xp as my next chainsaw.

I've always been a Stihl guy. My dad used one, my aunt and uncle had them on the farm. And I have two myself now, probably going to buy my pops another for Christmas, since he's always borrowing my 290. They really are a once in a lifetime purchase. Plus there are parts readily available, and they're rebuildable. Just my opinion coming from someone who's been stacking, hauling, splitting, and cutting wood since I could walk.

I use a Poulan Pro. Its what could afford at the time. Husqvarna or Stihl are the two top IMHO

Sent from my Excalibur Phoenix

I am on the fence between stihl and husky; I have experience with a farm boss (ms290) which has been great but there is just something about the 550xp that draws me in.

I have a Husqvarna but Stihl would have been my other top consideration.

I like Stihl but I wish they weren't so darned odd-looking (I know, that shouldn't matter one bit). Tough bastards tho', Stihls are. The Husqvarna self-adjusting carb is definitely a game changer if it holds up for ten years or longer..

My inner self knows that Stihl is probably the top dog, though, for forestry and large cuts. But Husqvarna is still the Mercedes of chainsaws IMHO. I think they are more nimble.

The new Husky's have a 4 year warranty with them too if you buy 3 bottles of the premixed fuel. So they only have to go another 6 years lol.

Are you set on a gas saw? There's some pretty good electrics on the market these days. Stihl has one. No messing around with gas, cold weather starts, quieter, etc. Some of our county road crews use them for trimming branches, etc.

Down here we have the same question and in the bush the two sides are passionate about their choice. In the end it is a bit like the difference between an Iphone and a Samsung, both good but both different. For me it was confirmed one day when working in the bush thinning some trees when I had to do some that were growing alongside a deep gut. One was growing like a hockey stick and in a most difficult place. As I had no other tree to drive it with, I needed to make a full cut and as the tree went over it ripped the saw out of my hands. The saw did two complete flips before it vanished into the slash. Found it ten minutes later in the creek bed still running and just waiting for me to get on with the job. Maybe it is the same reason I still prefer to hunt with my old .303 Brit, it has the sound of authority about it, same with the Stihl, a good deep rumble compared to the high pitched scream of the Husk'y, Jap bike cf a Hog or a Trumpy. For me it will be a Stihl for life but then at 60 and with 5 pro grade Stihls in the shed I do not expect to have to buy a new one again anyway.

Stihl and Husky are a safe bet. A repair guy a couple shops down from me thinks the older Stihls (pre charge-air or whatever they call it) are better because they run a little richer ie: pre superCALIFragalistic emissions... The commercial models might be worth the extra cost. None of them like the alky gas you get at the pumps nowadays--it is hard on rubber components such as fuel lines and diaphragms. There is a new RaceTrac around here that sells non-alcohol gas. Pic is from 6 months ago or so... I use Sta-Bil in everything--I add it to the gas can as soon as I get back from the store.

I have a Craftsman 20" (Poulan) that has been a very good saw and has cut an s-load of wood. Bought one "open box" for $100 from Sears (about 1/2 retail) and the thing was a dud so I brought it to a convenient repair center (under warranty). They claimed to fix it but it still ran like shix. Brought it back to the store and the salesman walked to the shelf and grabbed a brand new one, handed it to me and said "sorry for your troubles, sir". I'm not one of those "complainers" and that was very standup of him.

THAT saw cut about fifty 80'-100' sand pines into 2' chunks that Hurricane Charley took down in '04. Dropped trees all over the property, it was a real mess! Saw quickly paid for itself. :)

Last time I went to use it, the fuel lines had deteriorated but were easily replaced. Sharpened the chain with a HF sharpener and was good to go. As with many HF items, they need modding and improvement to work correctly. The HF sharpener had to have the sloppy pivot pin replaced so it could have some semblance of precision. Note the 7/16 Alum rod now in place.

Attachments

• noethanol1.jpg
    noethanol1.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 16
  • backtogether.jpg
    backtogether.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 16
I've got a Homelite with a 22" bar. My Dad has a Stihl "wood boss" that he's had since I was a kid. My brother has a craftsman. I don't care much for the craftsman because of the bar attachment/tensioning setup. All plastic, won't stay tight.

Some guys I hang out with do tree work. They won't run anything but Husky, Stihl, and Johnsereds.

Stihl and Husky are all the lumbermen I see using here as well. Glad someone also mentioned Johnsereds, they seem to be a little under the radar but I've never heard anything bad about them.

Echo is actually popular,with some of the tree people around here. But only for trim and bucket work it seems. Little on the small side for firewood work.

I did this pile of firewood with an electric chainsaw because I knew I was going to get pretty heavy into fuel costs....... I think it turned out pretty good!

It's strange how much a lot of us "weird out" over chain saws, but I totally get it. I hope y'all have not just sprung for the saw, but you also got the chaps and and gloves and hearing pro and a great first aid kit.

(My photo, not borrowed) Pic taken after I bought a shorter guide bar and chain then cut some thick pecan to test it out. It was much more nimble for me after the change out.

Last edited:
I actually ordered a Husqvarna 550xp this morning. I should have it by Wednesday. I can't wait to try it out with some firewood this weekend.

I'm running a Homelite. Been pretty dependable for all the years I've had it. Does take a bit of tinkering to start as it only gets used once or twice a year. gas goes "green" even with pre-mix and stabilizer.

v8chainsaw.jpg

v8-chainsaw-o.gif

You could get one of these but they are a bit on the heavy side and I imagine the kickback would be pretty severe. LOL

I'm currently just running a fire pit and smoking wood for the grill so I'm mostly doing small volume jobs and a $100 16" Homelite is enough to keep me going - 42cc IIRC. I love an internal combustion engine but didn't see any reason to get spendy. Thought about it as a prep tool but went low in the end!

Huskies rev high but less torque pulling through big wood. Stihl has more torque less rev.....Last 10 years Stihl's quality has gone way down, especially the new models. Got a few 36's for fire and they only lasted a season , half fell apart and half needed top end rebuild.
Generally easier to change sprockets and clutches on a Stihl.

I've owned Stihls but always liked Husky better. My work saw is a 372XP with a 32" bar and my personal saw is a 359 with a 24" bar, both have been run hard and have been excellent.
Huskies are lighter for the power and the handle bars are more ergonomic.

Your new saw should be good, if your cutting a ton first thing I would do to it would be a 24" bar, adds a little weight but saves your back from always being hunched over

Back