• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Chainsaw for firewood...

I might add a 372 or 376 to the saw collection at some point...everyone I know with either absolutely loves them. I am starting with an 18" bar for the 550xp but if I don't add a 372/376 to the mix I will likely grab a bigger bar for it. My local shop pushed me a bit towards the Husky as he felt the same way as you.

I bought a stihl ms270 and really like it. It's very torquey! I cut down a huge ash tree in my back yard and still have 3 more decent sized Ash trees to cut down and cut up. I've always stayed with Stihl's professional line of equipment or their farm line. I haven't bought any of their home owner series, for fear of breaking them. I'm pretty rough on tools. If stihl wasn't an option then my next choice would be husky. Buy once cry once!

at the end of the day, the saw with the sharpest chain cuts the best regardless of make and model. Proper sharpening technique is the #1 important thing

The tried and true Stihl models are still reliable saws like 44s,64s, they have been worked out. The 270, used to be 027 , has been around for a while.....solid saw. Just these days things like the badges, and chain catches just rattle off.....don't think they get the pride put in them like they used to.

I might add a 372 or 376 to the saw collection at some point...everyone I know with either absolutely loves them. I am starting with an 18" bar for the 550xp but if I don't add a 372/376 to the mix I will likely grab a bigger bar for it. My local shop pushed me a bit towards the Husky as he felt the same way as you.
I'm 6'4 so unless the woods off the ground that would kill me after a couple of hours lol.....
372 will take care of most anything , good falling saw. Lots of chain speed , important when making the last bit of back cut falling big trees. Bit of overkill for cutting firewood on a regular basis unless your logs are decent size.

The Huskies in the mid 50 to 60 cc are the best weight to power for firewood imo. ......and the manufacture suggested bar length is bs. 50cc saws run 24 inch bars usually no problem, keep it sharp way easier on the saw.......oh and don't F with safety chain, big pain and only cut half the amount of wood as a skip tooth

Huskies rev high but less torque pulling through big wood. Stihl has more torque less rev.....Last 10 years Stihl's quality has gone way down, especially the new models. Got a few 36's for fire and they only lasted a season , half fell apart and half needed top end rebuild.
Generally easier to change sprockets and clutches on a Stihl.

I've owned Stihls but always liked Husky better. My work saw is a 372XP with a 32" bar and my personal saw is a 359 with a 24" bar, both have been run hard and have been excellent.
Huskies are lighter for the power and the handle bars are more ergonomic.

Your new saw should be good, if your cutting a ton first thing I would do to it would be a 24" bar, adds a little weight but saves your back from always being hunched over

And that, ladies and gentlemen, should be all you need to know on the subject.

index.php

WTH !!!

Kinda like going to a Drag Strip or NASCAR race...always wear ear protection !!

I have had my Husky for at least 10 years now. I don't remember the model #, but it has cut many cord of word and has never given me a bit of problems. I love the saw!! It seemed to me that the Husky had more low end torque. It is a cutting beast!!

Ron

I just added a $350 Echo 20" CS-490 to go with my my other saws, and it is an extremely good saw; Assembled in America of Japanese and American parts. It has a magnesium case, an adjustable oiler, and a host of professional features along with a 5-year Warranty.

In its price range I don't think anyone can beat it, and it's as good as a $550 Husqvarna I have with some major upgrades the Husqvarna doesn't even have. Engine is 52.8-cc and 3.2-HP and only a 10.3 pound powerhead.

Back