• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Checkering

lonestarjeff

Supporter
I read quite a few reviews on the Patriot before ordering one. I thought I remembered reading a complaint that the checkering on the walnut stocks were too fine & a bit rough for comfort, but I guess I just assumed they were the classic diamond cut pattern. Mine arrived last week & has the more contemporary stippled pattern....

EyfHX3D.jpg

TL85R5x.jpg

I prefer the looks of hand cut diamond pattern checkering, but you can't have everything at the Patriot's price point. Having said that, the stippling still looks good & is very effective.

Took it out this weekend, & man was it hot out at the farm! Not sure if it hit triple digits out there, but it was close to it plus humidity. Definitely a test for the texture on the Patriot. Very comfortable & secure grip on the stippled texture. I was ringing wet sighting in the peep sight, but they apparently used a urethane or similar finish because it was impervious to my sweat. Really nice job on the walnut stock.

I like it a lot. I think they make a very nice rifle for the $.
I would easily choose this over a Remington or a Weatherby, based on recent examples I have seen.

Yeah, the patriot is a lot higher quality than the recent production Remington 700 series for sure.

OK, I guess now for the $100 question.

How did it shoot?

That looks good.
If you're handy, you could checker it yourself.
Sand off the stippling and redo it....it's not too hard. I've done afew. Came out good...

Yeah, the patriot is a lot higher quality than the recent production Remington 700 series for sure.

OK, I guess now for the $100 question.

How did it shoot?

Td8OKD7.jpg

Didn't have time to set up a proper shooting table to zero at 100yds, but I did work at it standing off-hand from 50yds using the peep sight. The LOP is a bit short for me so I slipped on a Limbsaver & that did the trick. The rifle is a great shooter.....between the light weight, the adjustable trigger, & a little longer LOP it naturally comes right up on target. It's my 1st 30-06 & the thump reminds me of the 30-30 round if not a bit sharper. I was using 165gr Winchester SP.

.30-06 definitely hits harder than my .30-30

I bought a new .45-70 Marlin carbine which I have not shot yet but I'll bet that beats the 30 ought 6 pretty handily as a noise maker and shoulder massage.

I do not however expect to hit the broadside of a barn with it. That Patriot will be very accurate.

BTW, I love checkering. I think it is one of the things that gives a gun character, separating it from other guns. Making it special.

This Marlin has a factory checkered stock but from what I can see it's done by machine and it's not very deep nor does it give you as good of a grip as the stippling.

I looked at a new Winchester recently and I was totally unimpressed by the checkering on that gun as well.

But it is machine laid and very accurate, and provides a nice pattern for a guy who wants to go in with a gouge and make the checkering really nice.

After seeing the Patriot I thought about just taking my Dremel Mototool and hand stippling the. currently checkered areas. It would certainly be fast(er) and it would look more modern.

We'll see how bored I get this winter, if I have time for checkering.

Last edited:
Plenty accurate enough to put meat on the table, or bones in the ground if you had to.

Nice shooting, especially for off hand.

I set up for 100 yards today, but my eyes need the scope at that range, so I mounted the Nikon on the Patriot to see how it would group. Not an ideal setup, but I used the tailgate of the Mule for a shooting table with a 5 gallon bucket for a stool. Amazingly, the 1st shot was a bit high & right. After an adjustment it was set. Here's that 1st group...
9i1JlEB.jpg

No cool down between, here's 2nd group...

1svleVk.jpg

Yeah, that's a done deal there.

Okay! Time to get it on a real concrete bench with lots of sand bags and the time to really throw your weight into it!

We have a room called Range Reports where you can put the pics to chart your progress.

Back