• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Choke Constriction for 500/535

I have found the the Mossberg Modified Accu-Choke size is .716 after much much searching. Does anyone know the size of the 12ga stock Full, Imp Cyl, Skeet and XX-Full Turkey choke tubes by Mossberg. I want to compare them to the specs of Mossberg's choke tubes to aftermarket tubes.

XX-Full Turkey =
Full =
Modified = .716
Improved Cylinder =
Skeet =

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows!

I called them and the lady there said that she did now know, all she could find was the choke's name which I found easily on their website.

I would also suggest going directly to OFM too but from experience, the reps aren't always experienced. They know what they can find on the computer.

While I don't know off hand the constriction for accuchoke, there are some base numbers out there for different types of chokes like skeet or modified.

I think Shooter has linked up a chart or two likely found in the thread MikeD referenced above. It lists constrictions (generalized but not specific to OFM) by type and another chart showing optimal pattern by intended distances or range at which you might be shooting. Skeet for example is really open where a modified kinda moves you into mid range. Accumag chokes for OFM over bored barrels are really drastic by comparison so a modified that would be constricted by maybe .020 thousandths in a 12 ga 500/535 would still be really open in the 835/935 barrels but both might be called modified.

While I appreciate @ripjack13 thinking I'm a guru, I'd have to do more digging to come up with specifics on the 500/535. Truth is, I didn't like the factory choke in the 835 so I didn't mess with it anymore so my choke experience is primarily aftermarket, which I can certainly help with to some degree and its a subject I have lots of unsolicited opinions on.

I know you mentioned skeet shooting and LTB45 had suggested using a modified choke for most shooting but is there another possible use which leads you to looking for the constrictions? If you have other specifics I can better focus my search for you.

Last edited:
Oh, on the XFull turkey, OFM likely uses a .660 which I think is a little open and better suited for some heavier than lead up to even 4 buck. Something tighter like a .643 would put you into long shots with modern ammo for turkeys.

I'd put money on the .660 for the OFM XFull.

Called Mossberg with another question yesterday but found someone who actually knew something about shotguns so I did get an answer the choke size(s) for their accu-choke tubes.

XX-TURKEY 0.670
Full 0.700
Modified 0.716
Improved Cylinder 0.725
Skeet 0.733

Back