• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Clean your Mossberg 500 every 200 rounds

MossyMilDot

.270 WIN
I read my manual and I must be getting old :mrgreen:

The Mossberg Manual says Clean your Mossberg 500 every 200 rounds! Being an old infantryman I could never let it go 200rds, but I like that they have a standard. :D

I tend to agree with that recommendation. Pump shotguns work remarkably well even with dry actions, and fouling from powder residue is virtually non-existant. My Mossberg pumps get the steel exterior portions very lightly oiled and I rarely feel the need to break down the action. Barrel bores go up to 300-400 rounds depending on if the get fired with plastic wad ammo or rifled slugs.

I may clean mine someday

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

My favorite semi (Trap Gun) gets cleaned about every 1000 rounds.
Sometimes sooner.
My pumps are on about the same schedule even though it takes me much longer to get there with them.
I actually enjoy cleaning them it is just that I have to find the time to do it.

I have HAD to clean my Maverick after each ten rounds of that Cheddite Pallettoni 00 buckshot. If I waited til 100 rounds, I don't think a round would pass through the barrel! :shock: :D Seriously, only ten rounds and five swabs later were still coming out black.

I clean the trigger assembly, bolt, extracters, etc., but I never see much residue getting into those areas. Occasionally, I only clean the barrel. Take care. Tom Worthington.

I like to clean guns and love the smell of Hoppe #9. :mrgreen: I use CLP as my main cleaning asset. I have used about everything, Ed's Red, Rem Oil, WD40, Motor Oil, etc. :D Old clean cotton t-shirts/socks work great also.

Is it me or are store purchased 12GA barrel cleaning swabs too small? :?: I need to just make them myself from old cotton clean t-shirts.

I enjoy cleaning my guns, so they get treated very well! With our rainy climate here, I often find myself starting a range session in the sun and ending in a downpour... which is why I'll usually clean and oil after every session. I left a Marlin 336 in the back of my van while taking the dogs to the beach.... the next morning I opened the back and was shocked :eek: I had perfectly uniform polka dot rust spots on the receiver... the salt water ate right through the Marlin bluing.... I learned my lesson the hard way!

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate or even worry about firing 500+ rounds without cleaning!

Tom396 said:
I have HAD to clean my Maverick after each ten rounds of that Cheddite Pallettoni 00 buckshot. If I waited til 100 rounds, I don't think a round would pass through the barrel! Seriously, only ten rounds and five swabs later were still coming out black.

I clean the trigger assembly, bolt, extracters, etc., but I never see much residue getting into those areas. Occasionally, I only clean the barrel. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Powerdrill+ Cleaning Rod and Brush+ Hoppes 9 = Squeeky clean barrel :D (no worries, I'm careful!)

haha the more seasoned the firearm and the more trust I have in it! The less I clean it and it still reliably functions means the more it can go through. Which reminds me... I better get out and shoot mine some more :D

On a serious note, has this factory suggestions of a 200 rnd cleaning cycle always been in the manual or a recent addition? Seems to me that would be a good fall-to if a customer presented a broken or worn part which then could be blamed on not cleaning it often enough.

In response to the serious note.

Yes, I believe you're correct. Its OFMs guidline and I'm certain if there are any problems with the firearm anything the firearm has been subjected to outside of manufactures recommndations or guidelines will void the warranty.

:| excuse my lack of better words but... LAME.

I understand why they do this :roll: I mean in this day in age where everyone and their mother sues someone any chance they get, manufactures and individuals have to protect themselves. But what happened to standing behind your product and owning up to mistakes when they happen? This goes both ways...I don't go crying to a manufacturer if something brakes and I know it was my fault.

Telling me to clean my pump shotgun every two hundred rounds is like seeing the "Caution, hot liquid" warning written on a coffee cup... unnecessary.

aksavanaman said:
"Caution, hot liquid" warning written on a coffee cup... unnecessary.

More or less this is true! But my fiance's family RARELY cleans their guns... I think the .22-250 has about 350 through it and shoots everywhere but no cleaning... lol

It should force folks to take apart their shotgun to clean and learn more about it. I just could not go to bed with dirty kids in the house :mrgreen:

MossyMilDot said:
It should force folks to take apart their shotgun to clean and learn more about it. I just could not go to bed with dirty kids in the house :mrgreen:

I would say this can go both ways... I wouldn't expect someone to have to clean their gun every night... but I can respect someone who chooses to do so if they wish :D +1 on learning about your gun as well, that's why I try to work and fix as much on my vehicles as possible!

My old 870 was never cleaned. I got it used and it was in bad shape. I cleaned it up and used it for many years with just a little oil now and then. I shot it death and replaced with a 500. I cleaned and oiled out of the box. It has close to 500 rounds down range. I do tinker so it has been apart and wiped down.

Back