• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

CMP 1911a1's and the NDAA...**Updated 7/17/17**

An Update on CMP 1911 Prices and Grades:

The Civilian Marksmanship Program had a booth at the 2016 SHOT Show Industry Day at the Range. I spoke with CMP Chief Operating Officer Mark Johnson about the 1911 pistols the CMP is expected to receive from the U.S. Army for civilian sales. In an earlier story I incorrectly wrote that the CMP expected to receive 100,000 1911 pistols from the Army.

Johnson corrected my bad information by pointing out that while the National Defense Authorization Act legislation did include a provision that the CMP was “authorized” to receive up to 100,000 pistols, there was no guarantee that the Secretary of the Army will release the pistols, and that the CMP was limited to receiving only “up to” 10,000 pistols a year. “When the army releases the pistols they could release any amount up to that 10,000,” Johnson said. “There’s no guarantee how many that would be.”

Johnson said: "They have no idea on the condition of the pistols in inventory. But, based on their experience with M1 Garand the CMP expects there will be Rack Grade, Field Grade, Service Grade, and Collector Grade pistols available and that he expects 10% to be in the worst condition, 10% to be in the best condition, and the rest somewhere in the middle. (He later added that the CMP will thoroughly inspect, repair and test fire all pistols prior to sale). The pricing is expected to start at about $1,000 per pistol with the better grades “priced accordingly.”

The Secretary of the Army has to officially release the pistols to the CMP and there currently is no Secretary of the Army. Consequently, the release of the pistols is dependent on who next fills that post. The CMP has no additional info available at this time and any updates will be posted to the CMP website.

Wow, starting at $1000! Really?

I get the historical value aspect, but these are still surplus pistols. With the influx of new 1911 manufacturers in the past five years and the fact that brand new Colt 1911's are going for as low as around $700 these days it seems that their pricing is a little ambitious...

Wow, starting at $1000! Really?

I get the historical value aspect, but these are still surplus pistols. With the influx of new 1911 manufacturers in the past five years and the fact that brand new Colt 1911's are going for as low as around $700 these days it seems that their pricing is a little ambitious...

Yup. It was a deal breaker for me as well. $650 rack grade I was going to go all in. $1K and you're in my Dan Wesson semi custom new out the box level.... nope.

Yes $1000 is insane. You can get nice used Kimbers for less than that every day. I see new stainless Kimber 45s going for $900 and less.

$1000 for a worn out pistol?

I call BS on that one quick. They never will sell any of those.

They'll rust in two before they sell those.

Colt 1911 XE Lightweight Commander .45ACP 8+1 NIB
p.gif
b.gif
Buy Now for $784.00

I am anticipating a drive to the CMP North Store to take a look at the 1911s if they actually do come in.

I wrote to the CMP asking if a Michigan Enhanced DL would be accepted as proof of citizenship. I finally got an answer stating that the CMP no longer accepted Enhanced DLs as proof of citizenship.

I got a Enhanced DL so that I wouldnt need a passport anymore (my travel outside the US is limited to Canada and Mexico). Looks like I will need to get a passport again.

CMP Sales of 1911s One Step Closer With House Passage of 2018 NDAA

Friday, July 14, 2017
remote.axd

Support NRA-ILA

On Friday, the U.S. House of Representatives passed H.R. 2810, the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for Fiscal Year 2018. Included in the bill is a provision that would make U.S. Army surplus 1911 .45 ACP pistols available to the American public through the Civilian Marksmanship program (CMP).

In November of 2015, then-President Obama signed the NDAA for Fiscal year 2016 into law with language that authorized the Secretary of Defense to transfer 1911s no longer in service to the CMP for public sale. That language made the transfers subject to the Secretary’s discretion and capped them at 10,000 per year. Unsurprisingly, no actual transfers were made under the program while Obama remained in the White House.

This year’s language, however, would effectively make the transfers mandatory and would remove the yearly cap. Currently, the military has some 100,000 excess 1911s sitting in storage at taxpayer expense. Transfer of these historically-significant firearms would ease a burden on the government’s heavily indebted balance sheet and help preserve important artifacts from the era when the U.S. military defended Western Civilization from worldwide fascism and aggressive Communist expansion.

The CMP’s sales of 1911s would be treated as other retail sales under the federal Gun Control Act, including the attendant background checks and point of sale record keeping. The design of the pistols dates back to the late 19th Century, and they come equipped with a seven-round magazine. One would think this would render the sales harmless in the eyes of the “reasonable gun safety regulation” crowd, but we’re not holding our breath.

The NRA thanks House Armed Services Committee Chairman Mac Thornberry (R-TX) and Rep. Mike Rogers (R-AL) for their steadfast support of this important provision.

Upon completion of the Senate NDAA, the House and Senate will convene a conference committee to resolve the differences in their bills.

If you would like to see 1911 sales return to the CMP, please contact your U.S. Senators and Representative and urge them to keep the House language on this matter intact in the final bill they send to the president. You can contact Senators and Representative at 202-225-3121.

Still no estimated pricetag yet?

Further, I am ineligible to purchase because I don't belong to any accredited shooting organizations.

Except the past law enforcement job. (Deputy Jailer/Sheriff).

Does a CCW count?

Further, I am ineligible to purchase because I don't belong to any accredited shooting organizations.

Except the past law enforcement job. (Deputy Jailer/Sheriff).

Does a CCW count?

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/1orderform.pdf?ver=20170210

See page 5. I believe you qualify if you are a retiree.

You can call cmp to verify. Additionally you can just pay a $20 annual membership to a local affiliated club worst case scenario.

I know that you probably would have a hard time believing this, but there are no local hunting or shooting clubs here.

Folks here just go out back and shoot until they get tired.

I am not a retiree of the Sheriff's Dept.

You can apply to any club in the USA. If/when you want one I can find you an online club.

Providing proof of prior law enforcement service should be sufficient for firearm proficiency as does ccw class with live fire qualification.

Thanks for the reply WM.

I have CCW with live fire. Live fire is actually required here in my state to get a CCW from everyone. There is class work, followed by range qualification.

I can show proof of prior LE service. That would be no problem, but I didn't retire from there.

Thanks for the reply WM.

I have CCW with live fire. Live fire is actually required here in my state to get a CCW from everyone. There is class work, followed by range qualification.

I can show proof of prior LE service. That would be no problem, but I didn't retire from there.

I think you're all squared away.

I've ordered 2 rifles from cmp. I can walk you through it if the time comes

An Update on CMP 1911 Prices and Grades from CMP Chief Operating Officer Mark Johnson <--- LINK

They have no idea on the condition of the pistols in inventory. But, based on their experience with M1 Garand the CMP expects there will be Rack Grade, Field Grade, Service Grade, and Collector Grade pistols available and that he expects 10% to be in the worst condition, 10% to be in the best condition, and the rest somewhere in the middle. (He later added that the CMP will thoroughly inspect, repair, and test fire all pistols prior to sale).

The pricing is expected to start at about $1,000 per pistol with the better grades “priced accordingly.”

If the worst condition (10% of the guns) start at $1,000 can you imagine what those 10% in the BEST condition will be priced at?

Well they drug their feet for so long it became a moot point here, as we cannot buy a "new" old 1911 in California anymore.

New in this case "new" doesn't just mean brand new. It can also mean newly imported to the state.

You can buy a gun from a private party. If it's registered it better go through an FFL.

Back