• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

CO: Police shoot resident after home invasion

Scoop

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Even when you win a gunfight, you can lose. Scoop.

Fox 31 News <--- link w/ video
Aurora police fatally shoot armed resident who killed intruder during home invasion
POSTED 4:31 PM, JULY 30, 2018, BY JOE DAHLKE,
AURORA, Colo. -- An armed resident and an intruder were killed after a home invasion and officer-involved shooting in Aurora on Monday morning.

The Aurora Police Department said it arrived to 10609 E. Montview Blvd. shortly after 1:30 a.m. Monday and heard shots fired from inside the home and encountered an armed man.

Police shot the man, who later turned out to be the resident. The homeowner was taken to a hospital with gunshot wounds where he later died.

When police went inside the home, they found the intruder, who was dead on the bathroom floor. Police said the intruder was fatally shot by the armed resident, police said.

Authorities also found a juvenile, who was taken to a hospital for serious, but nonlife-threatening injuries caused by the deceased intruder, police said.

The identities of the victims will be released by the Adams County Coroner’s Office.

"This is a very heartbreaking and tragic situation for everyone involved," Aurora police Chief Nick Metz said. "We are providing assistance through our victim advocates to help the family of the deceased resident through this very difficult time."

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call police

Sounds like a major and well deserved lawsuit to me.

I try not to be judgmental because I was not there and I do not know all of the particulars, but this is not going to go well for the PD for sure. I wouldn't be too surprised of a 6 or 7 figure hush money that leaves the taxpayers on the hook to pay, err I mean, a wrongful death settlement before the hearing.

When police arrived he should have put down the gun. How do the police know who is the good guy or the bad when they arrive?

Unless I am missing something it just sounds like an very unfortunate accident.

Could it be in the chaos he thought the PD was another bad guy and the officer didn't identify himself?

When were the police called? When was the bad guy neutralized? How was the incident described to the police dispatcher?

Every so often around here, an innocent home owner/renter will suffer death-by-cop. Many are stand-off "suicides" but on one occasion about 5 years ago, in a case of erroneous address, cops busted down a door in a raid looking for someone and in a case of mistaken identity, shot dead the innocent homeowner when he came out of his bedroom armed. With this in mind, any home invasion will be dealt with accordingly--sort out the bodies and the badges when it is over...

It is just tragic all the way around. What a horrible night at that moment (and aftermath) of realizing that the homeowner was shot and killed. I cannot imagine the grief and anguish of EVERYONE who was there. This is just a nightmare.

When police arrived he should have put down the gun. How do the police know who is the good guy or the bad when they arrive?

Unless I am missing something it just sounds like an very unfortunate accident.

I think I remembered reading that the police heard shots as they arrived. Guy may not have had time to have put it down. Guy may had been worried that the intruder was trying to get back up and was still fighting with him. Or may have just froze for all I know. Like I said, I wasn't there and really dislike speculation.

I think I remembered reading that the police heard shots as they arrived. Guy may not have had time to have put it down. Guy may had been worried that the intruder was trying to get back up and was still fighting with him. Or may have just froze for all I know. Like I said, I wasn't there and really dislike speculation.

There are a lot of small details missing that could really sway the discussion one way or another.

It's just bad for all involved no matter how you slice it.

This is getting a lot worse.

Quoted from another source, I left the reference links accessible to anyone who wants to read them.
-------------------------

Turns out he was a viet nam vet, a naked intruder had entered his home and was drowning his grandchild in the bathtub, his wife supposedly had made the 911 call and had described the homeowner to the police.

Once again, the situation doesn't end with you neutralizing the intruder.. Be aware.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/07/3...im-identified/

“This is a horror movie scenario”: Man killed naked intruder before being shot by Aurora police
Richard Black already had shot an intruder when police saw him with a gun and opened fire

Officer that shot homeowner was involved in another deadly shooting in June..

https://www.9news.com/article/news/o...e/73-579198076

"An Aurora police officer who shot an armed homeowner Monday morning had been in another deadly confrontation in late June. He'd been returned to duty even though the investigation of that first incident has not been complete."

"An officer opened fire, hitting and killing the man, who has been identified as Richard “Gary” Black Jr., a 73-year-old Army veteran who served in Vietnam, earning a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart. Police also discovered a “deceased adult male intruder” inside Black’s home."

"Among those who called 911 was Jeanette Black, and she gave dispatchers a very specific description of her husband and what he was wearing, Mohamedbhai said. He also said evidence suggests that while Black was inside his home the officer who shot him was outside – although he said he wants to see body camera footage so he can better understand exactly what happened."
---------------

"Rathod, who met Tuesday with Jeanette Black and other family members, said the intruder had been attending a party at a home on the corner of North Iola Street and East Montview Boulevard before he ran across the five-lane road and onto the Black’s property. Others from the party followed him onto the property and at some point entered the house, Rathod said."

This is getting a lot worse.

Quoted from another source, I left the reference links accessible to anyone who wants to read them.
-------------------------

Turns out he was a viet nam vet, a naked intruder had entered his home and was drowning his grandchild in the bathtub, his wife supposedly had made the 911 call and had described the homeowner to the police.

Once again, the situation doesn't end with you neutralizing the intruder.. Be aware.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/07/3...im-identified/

“This is a horror movie scenario”: Man killed naked intruder before being shot by Aurora police
Richard Black already had shot an intruder when police saw him with a gun and opened fire

Officer that shot homeowner was involved in another deadly shooting in June..

https://www.9news.com/article/news/o...e/73-579198076

"An Aurora police officer who shot an armed homeowner Monday morning had been in another deadly confrontation in late June. He'd been returned to duty even though the investigation of that first incident has not been complete."

"An officer opened fire, hitting and killing the man, who has been identified as Richard “Gary” Black Jr., a 73-year-old Army veteran who served in Vietnam, earning a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart. Police also discovered a “deceased adult male intruder” inside Black’s home."

"Among those who called 911 was Jeanette Black, and she gave dispatchers a very specific description of her husband and what he was wearing, Mohamedbhai said. He also said evidence suggests that while Black was inside his home the officer who shot him was outside – although he said he wants to see body camera footage so he can better understand exactly what happened."
---------------

"Rathod, who met Tuesday with Jeanette Black and other family members, said the intruder had been attending a party at a home on the corner of North Iola Street and East Montview Boulevard before he ran across the five-lane road and onto the Black’s property. Others from the party followed him onto the property and at some point entered the house, Rathod said."

Starting to sound like a really bad shoot right here...

Yeah, especially since a "clear description" was given of the homeowner and what he was wearing.

It's tragic for all involved except the intruder. Without knowing the details and being there, I appreciate what the law enforcement officers do on a daily basis. They go into situations most would try to get away from.

That much I do agree with. But this is one definite case of the outcome ending very badly, and for someone it should not have ended very badly for.

Pappaw deserved another medal. I'm sure Saint Peter had no problem pinning that under his wings.

Back