• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

CO: Sheriff vows NOT to enforce Red Flag law

Scoop

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
This Colorado sheriff is willing to go to jail rather than enforce a proposed gun law
By Scott McLean and Sara Weisfeldt, CNN
Denver (CNN)

Weld County Sheriff Steve Reams disagrees so much with a gun bill making its way through the Colorado legislature that he's willing to go to jail rather than enforce it.

"It's a matter of doing what's right," he said.
He's not the only one who feels so strongly.
The controversial "red flag" bill aims to seize guns temporarily from people who are deemed to be a threat to themselves or others.

Colorado's state Senate passed the bill Thursday by a single vote, without any Republican support, and the bill is expected to pass the House, possibly this week. With Democratic majorities in both chambers, state Republicans have too few votes to stand in the way.

But more than half of Colorado's 64 counties officially oppose the bill. Many have even declared themselves Second Amendment "sanctuary" counties in protest.
Failure to enforce a court order to seize a person's guns could mean sheriffs being found in contempt. A judge could fine them indefinitely, or even send them to jail to force them to comply.
Reams says it's a sacrifice he'd be forced to make.

What is the bill?
Colorado's "extreme risk protection order" bill would allow a family member, a roommate, or law enforcement to petition a judge to take someone's firearms if they are deemed to be a danger to themselves or others.

The push for legislation followed the death of Zack Parrish, the 29-year-old Douglas County sheriff's deputy killed in 2017 by a man with an arsenal of weapons who authorities said had a history of bizarre behavior, including threats to police.

Parrish's former boss, Sheriff Tony Spurlock, has been one of the most vocal advocates of the bill and says he believes it could have prevented Parrish's death. Democratic House Majority Leader Alec Garnett, one of the bill's primary sponsors, agrees.

The other House sponsor is Rep. Tom Sullivan, whose son, Alex, was killed in the Aurora, Colorado, movie theater shooting in 2012.

Garnett says he won't lose any sleep if Reams or another Colorado sheriff opts for jail instead of enforcement of a court order.

"What I'm going to lose sleep over is, if that's the choice that they make and someone loses their life, someone in crisis goes on a shooting spree, (or) someone commits suicide" because a gun wasn't taken away, he said.

What's so controversial?
Gun rights activists, and an increasing number of law enforcement leaders, say the bill goes too far.
David Kopel, a constitutional law expert who has written extensively about gun policy in the United States, says he thinks the bill is generally a good idea but that he has serious reservations about how it is written -- in part because of outside influence.

"The gun ban lobbies are getting more and more extreme and aggressive," he said.
The bill allows a judge to order a person's guns to be seized before the person has a chance to appear in court. The bill does require a second hearing with the gun owner present to be held within 14 days, where the owner could make a case to keep the weapons -- but if the owner is unsuccessful, a judge could order the guns seized for as long as a year.

Kopel said it would be difficult to prevent a nightmare scenario in which someone misuses the law to take guns away from a person they intend to target violently.

The burden of proof is low -- "preponderance of the evidence," which is the same standard used in civil cases, and a much lower bar than the criminal standard, "beyond a reasonable doubt."
Reams said he also worries about the potential to aggravate an already volatile person by taking their weapons.

"Going in and taking their guns and leaving the scene, I can't see how that makes them less of a risk. It just takes one tool away," said Reams, arguing that a person bent on hurting someone could do it with a knife or a car.
In 2018, a man near Baltimore was killed after officers showed up to seize his weapons based on a court order and "he became irate," police said.
Garnett dismissed concerns about the bill.

"The opposition is always there. It will always be there and there's nothing, there's no amendments or any changes that could be made to bring the sheriff from Weld County onboard," he said.

He's right. Reams concedes he would still never support the bill, even with amendments.

Counties fighting back
A total of 32 counties have declared themselves Second Amendment sanctuary, or preservation, counties or passed similar resolutions. Most vow support for their sheriffs and state that no resources or money will be used to enforce unconstitutional laws. Another two counties already had similar resolutions on the books, and one other has sent a letter to the legislature declaring its opposition.
Even Douglas County, where Deputy Parrish was killed, passed a similar resolution pledging that no county resources would be used in the enforcement of the red flag law, despite Sheriff Spurlock's support for the legislation.
"We're putting a line in the sand for what we believe right now is support (for) constitutional laws," said Douglas County Commissioner Roger Partridge at a contentious meeting in March.
"Why would you tell a law enforcement officer they could not enforce the law because you didn't like it? That's craziness," said Spurlock.
"The idea of a sanctuary county is more of a political move than it is a legal move," said John Campbell, a law professor at the University of Denver.
Campbell said he also believes there could be civil or even criminal liability for a defiant sheriff if they refuse to seize a weapon and that person goes on to commit a crime with it.

What happens next?
The bill wouldn't officially come into force until next year, but El Paso County is planning to launch a legal challenge as soon as it is signed into law.
In a statement, Colorado Attorney General Phil Weiser said he is "confident that when and if the time comes, all law enforcement officials will follow the rule of law."
But Reams is steadfast.
"I've explained that time and time again," he said. "I'm not bluffing."

Enforcing laws are so important to liberals, when it suits their agenda. Then there is that pesky constitution. Gun confiscation is their agenda, plain and simple.

Unfortunately the Dems made a clean sweep of the Colorado state legislature in the '18 election. So, now both houses of the state legislature, the governor and the attorney general are all run by the progressives along with their gun grabbing agenda. For more info on what they intend to do to us, go to rmgo.org and click on bill watch and read for yourself. So far about 37 county sheriffs have said that they will not enforce this gun grab. I am sad to say that my sheriff, Douglas County Sheriff Tony Spurlock is very much behind the "Red Flag" bill now about to become law. Our three county commissioners have said that they are going to not fund the sheriff's office enforcing any of the unconstitutional gun laws headed our way. Sheriff Spurlock has seen fit to find himself at odds with not only the county commissioners but the Douglas County GOP central committee as well. Under Colorado law the county commissioners can defund his office, withhold part or all of his compensation or remove him from office.

There is talk of a recall effort under way this summer as soon as the law allows. To his credit Sheriff Spurlock has had almost 40 years of exemplary service with the Douglas County Sheriff's Office but he has crossed the line on this. He swore an oath to defend the constitution but this bill violates the 2A as well as due process and it may even fall into the constitutional definition and prohibition of "bills of attainder". This will not end well.

This may not be a good analogy, but I have been flying professionally for 40 years, and privately linger than that. The only flight that matters is the next one. My point being, his 40 years of service mean nothing if he is willing to screw the constitution and the people now.

Meanstreak is correct. The Douglas County Sheriff has crossed the line and he will be judged by his last bad act because it is an egregious violation of his oath to support and defend the constitution. The wheels are beginning to turn at the county level as the three county commissioners have come out in steadfast opposition to his support of the "Red Flag" bill.....full disclosure here....the bill will pass into law with or without Sheriff Spurlock's support but it his support of the bill that has put him at odds with the clear thinking liberty lovers out there. The progressives and the media have used this grief stricken sheriff to further their gun grabbing agenda and many local republicans have been duped into blind complicity. This man needs to be removed from office. Maybe the county commissioners will take care of the matter and remove him because a recall effort may fail due to Spurlock's popularity.

Here in Colorado we have I believe 64 counties and 62 of those counties have elected sheriffs. The other 2 counties such as Denver and Broomfield are incorporated into "cities and counties" and the sheriffs are appointed into position by some political hack. The sheriff of Denver County is appointed by the Denver Mayor who by choice of the voters (74% democrat) is a far left progressive and his lapdog "sheriff" is just left to run the county jail, protect city and county property, execute some warrants and other duties other than the law enforcement that other county sheriff's are involved in because the Denver Police Department will handle everything else. The City and County of Broomfield has vested its' sheriff's authority in their police chief. So, in short, it is my belief that because these two "sheriffs" are appointed and not elected and serve at the behest of some appointed official or a mayor and if told to execute a "Red Flag" warrant, they will carry it out or lose their jobs. I do not look for either of these "sheriffs" or anyone working for them to have any James Madison moments and refuse the order.

In the other 62 counties the sheriffs are all elected to a four year term as our state constitution mandates. They are all term limited to no more than two consecutive terms unless the voters in the county say different. Bill Masters has served as San Miguel County Sheriff (Telluride) since 1980 and I believe that he is still in office. Our state constitution and pursuant statutes vest all law enforcement and public safety authority in the office of sheriff. He or she is the chief law enforcement officer(CLEO) of the entire county. All police officers in the incorporated areas within the county are also sworn deputies. We have no state police force so the only authority over the sheriff are the voters and the county commissioners. We, the people of Colorado, have vested a lot of authority and latitude within this office. We like it that way. That makes the office of sheriff a servant of the people and answerable to them and them alone. This works very well until an elected sheriff decides to go rouge with his 500 man department with about 300 sworn peace officers along with several reserve deputies. Because of Sheriff Spurlock's support of this "Red Flag" law, I fear that it is a matter of time before he orders his deputies to go on an unconstitutional gun grab with an illegal warrant in hand. Will any refuse? This could end in not only a violation of rights but it could lead to a bloodbath.....then what? If law enforcement thinks that they have a problem now with perceived undesirables having access to firearms, wait until someone with a fake warrant goes after them to execute the warrant. BTW, the warrants are issued by a judge not on probable cause but on the "preponderance of evidence". I hope and pray that this matter is resolved peacefully either by the voters in a recall or the county commissioners removing him from office. He has to go as I believe that liberty demands it. I wish him no harm.....just go away.

He could get a big "vote of no confidence" when his deputies come down with the blue flu.
I wouldn't think they'd support him too far.
He seems like the odd man out..

CaddmannQ....I hope that you are correct. If and when and more likely when Gov. Polis signs this into law it will go into effect on 1-1-2020. In the interim they, the powers that be, will be trying to determine how to implement the new unconstitutional law. That means the DAs, judges and LEOs from the city, town and county levels will be trying to figure out their own marching orders to go after their perceived threat. As of right now 37 county sheriffs, a good number of DAs and I suspect some judges along many county commissioners are dead set against this. One can only guess how many sworn peace officers will not follow these unlawful orders. There is local talk over the airwaves that many of the rank and file men and women in uniform will not follow any unlawful gun grabbing orders. BTW, these officers have wisely chosen to remain anonymous, for now at least. The ones that choose to use the excuse "I was only following orders" will not hold much validity as it did not work at Nuremburg and it will not work here either. I do fear that somewhere along the way LEOs executing these illegal warrants based not on evidence or probable cause but based on "the preponderance of evidence" are going to run into people engaging them in armed resistance against an illegal warrant ordering a gun grab. Sooner or later when people are backed into a position of nothing else to lose and everything to gain and by that I mean liberty or death, they will resist and it will be done in a noisy and bloody way. I just hope that this "Red Flag" piece of shit bill caves in under its own weight before the people have to remind the government who is really in charge here. If that has to happen there are many peaceful and legal remedies that we can pursue before the state of Colorado has its' own version of Lexington and Concord.

This Red Flag Law stuff is a problem.

If a sane adult is so dangerous you can't trust them with a gun, you really can't trust them much IMHO.
You can't ever be sure the legal guns you confiscated were their only ones.

Maybe custody of either/both parties involved might be more prudent.

If a gun owner gets involved in any hassle, maybe you don't lock up the guns. Maybe the Owners wind up in custody.

Normal citizen = warning, maybe a citation, maybe see the judge and pay a small fine for public disturbance.

Legal gun owner = custody until trial.

Does this make some sense: that being so armed against others, we should be held to a higher standard of behavior?

Frankly, I have behaved as if this were true since the day I started collecting.
I considered my exposure to be much greater than before, and therefore my deportment should be appropriate.

I wouldn't want a single hint that I had ever caused trouble anywhere, ever.

Climber, welcome to the forum.

Colorado is much like the country as a whole. Mostly liberal control in the urban areas, conservative rural areas. The big city politicians won't be happy unless they control all of the state/country. One thing stands between freedom and liberty for the individual, and complete control by a few. They are already stifling free speech on college campuses, and in many public school districts as well. The 2nd amendment is in their crosshairs.

Climber, I hope enough politicians come to their senses soon. The scenario you mentioned would have been unthinkable only 10 short years ago. Then came Obama. He wanted to fundamentally change America. Hillary Clinton would have continued the plan. Think what the Supreme Court would be like had she won, let alone all of the lower court judges that would now be sitting on the bench.

What the left didn't plan on was Donald Trump. He is not a polished politician, but he has truly exposed the underbelly of the "establishment". The college professors, most of the media, and of course the politicians.

Thank goodness for your sheriffs taking a stand.

If we were to look at a map of Colorado regarding red and blue we would see that most of the blue is concentrated in the City and County of Denver, the city of Boulder and the city of Pueblo. In the last election many counties that were once red voted against a republican and chose Jared Polis instead.....and he has too many progressive faults to mention. Just suffice it to say that he and Lumpy Butt Hillary have much in common. Polis came out of the 2nd congressional district that is comprised mostly of the city of Boulder or as we say around here the PRB, the Peoples Republik of Boulder and sometimes referred to as Berkley East because the CU Boulder campus sprawls over most of the downtown area. Boulder passed a law a while back that outlawed the AR-15 among other things within their city limits. A local media personality and Boulder resident John Caldera has openly defied and refused to register or surrender his AR-15. They estimate that there are tens of thousands of AR-15s within the Boulder city limits and less than a handful have been registered. So, what are they going to do? The Boulder County Sheriff sides with the gun owners and as far as I know the Boulder Police are doing nothing because as I have stated before the Sheriff is in charge of all LEO activities within his or her respective county. Again, We, the People like it that way. Maybe the progressive freaks on the Boulder City Council will go to Caldera's house and disarm him? My guess is that they, the city council, do lack the courage of their convictions.

Back in '13 after a progressive controlled state legislature and a worthless pantload of a governor, none other than 2020 presidential candidate John Hickenlooper(sp) passed some anti-2A laws regarding magazines and private gun transactions. Three recall efforts went under way that resulted in throwing out two democrat state senators and a third democrat state senator resigned rather than face recall. At the same time Obama was working on several anti-2A gun bills at the federal level. 55 county sheriffs in Colorado signed a letter addressed to the governor and president saying that they will not enforce any anti-2A gun laws that are passed. A neighboring county to Boulder County is Larimer County and the Larimer County Sheriff made a loud and clear statement that his jail would not hold anyone arrested on unconstitutional gun charges. So, to the cities of Fort Collins and anyone else paying attention, "Do not bring them to my jail. It will not hold them." As far as I know no one has been charged under the 2013 anti-2A legislation.

As we move away from the aforementioned three major cities that will remain forever deep blue and will have a heavy influence on statewide elections, we move either east or west of the front range to the more rural areas. At 105,000 square miles most of Colorado is rural farm/ranch land or mountain areas that go from low foothills at about 6,000' all the way up to over 14,000 that will only support Mountain Goats and peakbaggers. When we go out from the front range into the rural areas things are quite different. Many of these rural counties have elected sheriffs that ran as democrats and many of these democrat sheriffs are in opposition to any anti-2A legislation. Believe it or not there are many registered democrats in these counties that are big time elk and deer hunters and many of them own those horrible black rifles that make Madam Hillary itch and bleed in her private little places and most of purveyors of the Black Rifle do not intend to give them up or any other firearm in a gun grab.

The elected elite and gutless LEOs that support "Red Flag" bills maybe need to take up something worthwhile like golf or table tennis and forget that they are in charge. Pardon my ramble. Thanks for listening. I think that I need to go to the range and heat up my Shockwave.

As of this morning it is being reported that the "Red Flag" bill is on Colorado Governor Polis' desk and ready for his signature. An email from Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, a local GOA affiliate, www.rmgo.org, is getting ready to start the process of recall elections. I do not know who and how many are on the recall list but in time we will know. The last time RMGO was involved in recalls three gun grabbers in the state senate lost their senate seats and were replaced by republicans dedicated to the 2A.

So far here is the situation at least as I see it in Colorado:
1. The bill is on the governor's desk. Some are saying he will not sign it but I believe that is just wishful thinking for some.
2. So far 37 of our elected 62 county sheriffs have come out publicly against the bill. My guess is that more will follow. Back in '13 we had 55 sheriffs oppose and refuse to enforce any anti-2A legislation, be it state or federal.
3. Several cities and counties have declared themselves "2A Sanctuaries".
4. Many county commissioners have publicly come out in steadfast opposition to the bill. Our DA is also in opposition to the bill. Here in Douglas County my sheriff, Tony Spurlock is very much in favor of the bill and he has seen fit to find himself at odds with our three county commissioners and the local GOP Central Committee. The county commissioners are threatening to withhold funding to the sheriff's office on unconstitutional gun legislation and his support for same.
5. As soon as the law allows a recall effort on Sheriff Spurlock will be under way this summer. My guess is that the recall will fail because Spurlock is very popular and many of the voters in Douglas County, be they "D" or "R" are just too damn blind or touchy feely to understand the matter at hand. My hope and prayer is that the three county commissioners will just remove him from office.
6. Down the street from me in downtown Castle Rock we have a police department that has maybe 80+- sworn officers and the sheriff's office has about 300+- sworn deputies with an undetermined number of reserve deputies. We can hope and it may be false hope that most of the local LEOs will "Blue Flu" out if and when the sheriff decides to go on a gun grab on some unsuspecting innocent soul because his or her ex or a disgruntled neighbor turns in an anonymous complaint based on bullshit and the wheels start to turn based on the "preponderance of evidence". If our DA ran the grand juries that way he would be out of a job or in jail or both.
7. Many gun owners and civil libertarians are PISSED.

More later at it develops.

CNN is reporting that Colorado Gov. Polis signed the "Red Flag" bill into law today. CNN also reported that Weld County Sheriff Steve Reams and at least 10 other county sheriffs have publicly stated that they will go to jail before they enforce the law.

Per CNN: "Already, 38 of Colorado's 64 counties have officially declared their opposition to the bill, and 35 of them have passed formal resolutions against the law. Many of the resolutions declare the jurisdictions to be Second Amendment "sanctuary" or "preservation" counties and pledge not to allocate resources to enforcement of the law."

Rocky Mountain Gun owners, a local GOA affiliate, will file suit before the legislative session ends on May 3rd. RMGO is also planning recall efforts on at least 10 state lawmakers who supported the legislation. Here in Douglas County there was at least one meeting at a local gun shop/range to get ready to start a recall against Sheriff Tony Spurlock who supported the bill. A local organizer that will probably lead the recall effort against Spurlock says that it will cost $500,000 for that one recall.

Off the top of my head......If a Colorado sheriff refuses to enforce what he or she knows is an unconstitutional law and if given a court order by a county judge to enforce that law and refuses to do so, who and what is going to put that sheriff in jail? By state constitution and state statute the sheriff is the chief law enforcement officer(CLEO)of the county so, the sheriff may go to jail voluntarily or not at all......By my way of thinking the sheriff should throw the judge in jail for handing out an unconstitutional court order. The only time that comes to memory was several years ago down in Ouray County the sheriff was engaged in some illegal gun activity as in violation of the NFA of 1934. So, the feds got the goods on him and arrested him but that was the feds arresting him for violating federal gun laws. This is different because it involves only state law. As I have mentioned before, we have no state police in Colorado. The elected county sheriff is IT for all practical purposes as far as law enforcement and public safety goes within their respective county. We have a state patrol and they do not have the authority to supersede local control. This is going to get interesting. If a county judge orders a sheriff to jail for disobeying an unconstitutional law, there may really be no one to lock the sheriff up. We will see.

IMHO.....There are many in state government and the voting public, be they "D" or "R" that are saying the sheriff cannot "pick and choose" which laws they want to enforce and I agree. So, U.S. Constitution, art. 6, para. 2 "The supremacy clause" plainly states that ALL laws passed that are in pursuance to the constitution shall be the supreme law of the land and all judges will obey. It also says that any state law that is contrary to the constitution is "notwithstanding" or has no effect as law. A short time after the constitution was presented the 2A along with the other nine amendments were ratified, becoming the "supreme law of the land".

Let us suppose that within a state legislature bills were being drafted that would weaken or abridge the 13th Amendment and would allow a form of or all out slavery within the given state. Or, let us suppose that a bill was being considered to weaken or abridge the 19th Amendment, guaranteeing women the right to vote. If these were to pass in a state and become law, should the sheriff ignore the law or enforce the law? Either of these examples are as equally egregious, unworkable and unconstitutional as any attack on the 2A......Thanks for listening.

More as it develops.

Sheriffs are > Police Chiefs. Reason being, sheriffs are elected, police chiefs are appointed. Makes all the difference in the world. Take care. Tom Worthington

Back