• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Coats & Jackets

Mudinyeri

20g
"Philanthropist"
OK, I know spring is "officially" here, but we're still experiencing some less-than-spring-like weather here in Nebraska and it made me think that there might be some wisdom here on the forum for foul weather coats and jackets.

I recently picked up a Filson Tin Cloth Field Coat (the one with the zipper) and am very impressed with it. It appears to be virtually indestructable and, after a little wear, should fit like an old glove.

Here's a pic for reference:

10088-main-242.jpg

For a gadget geek like me, it's a perfect coat. As you can see there are all kinds of pockets and places to stash gear. There are even lanyard security loops inside the front game bag pockets. The lower, front bellows pockets each have six shell loops for shotgun shells. I think I'm in love! :D

Anyone else have a coat that not only keeps them warm and dry but makes them feel all tingly inside? :lol:

Dude, I love coats and jackets! I've been wanting that Filson for a long time... More often than not though I wear my Carharrt.

You know how they start like this...
carhartt+mens+arctic+quilt+lined+jacket.jpg

and end up like this.
carhartt_coat-thumb-200x266.jpg
carhartt_coa_back-thumb-200x266.jpg

Pretty sweet, but I still want the Filson! ;)

I lucked out on my Filson and bought it from a guy who'd gotten it for Christmas. He never even removed the tags and ended up needing money more than the coat! I'm hooked on Filson now. :cool:

I have an old denim Carhartt (pretty sure it's a Carhartt) that's wool-lined that my granddad wore before he passed away. It's definitely "worn in". Now, that's a comfy coat. My problem is I don't want to wear it out because of the sentimental value.

Heck, I dont blame ya. I dont think I'd wear it too much either!

tbRnJ.jpg

thats mine...i got it as a xmas gift 2 years ago... nice n warm...i also have a dickies one thats black and thats my work coat...

i like the look of that Filson Tin Cloth Field Coat...i'll have to look into it.

I have always been a Carharrt guy when it comes to a warm winter jacket. I also tend to wear Columbia jackets as well.

Mudinyeri said:
OK, I know spring is "officially" here, but we're still experiencing some less-than-spring-like weather here in Nebraska and it made me think that there might be some wisdom here on the forum for foul weather coats and jackets.

I recently picked up a Filson Tin Cloth Field Coat (the one with the zipper) and am very impressed with it. It appears to be virtually indestructable and, after a little wear, should fit like an old glove.

Here's a pic for reference:

10088-main-242.jpg

For a gadget geek like me, it's a perfect coat. As you can see there are all kinds of pockets and places to stash gear. There are even lanyard security loops inside the front game bag pockets. The lower, front bellows pockets each have six shell loops for shotgun shells. I think I'm in love! :D

Anyone else have a coat that not only keeps them warm and dry but makes them feel all tingly inside? :lol:

where abouts did you pick it up? local store? or online?
i'm looking at em online (ldo) and found some at working persons store with a 120% price guarantee. however the disclaimer...
Please note: At the manufacturer's request, our 120% Price Protection Guarantee does NOT apply to Filson products.

booooo....

I bought mine from a private individual who got it as a Christmas present but never wore it or even removed the tags.

Rockys a good brand. Kinda like dickies and they seem to strive to emulate carhart.

I still dream of owning that Filson coat! You can find them online from upland hunting stores. Theyre priced about the same no matter where I've looked.

Uplanders Warehouse $350

Filson $350

I cant find that exact jacket anywhere else right now, though if you check out those sites, you can check out other Filson coats and jackets too for much lower prices like $290! :D

I have my old M-65 Army Field Jacket ( with liner )...

M-65FieldJacket.jpg

...and a MA-1 Military Flight Jacket that reverses to blaze orange...

ma1-flight-jacket-black-1.jpg

...my leather bike jacket

BIKERJACKET-1.jpg

============================================================

...and I have my Kitanica Mark I that I got two years ago...this is a real good severe weather jacket!

KITANICAMARKI.jpg

SPECS:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kitanica/MARK_I ... ctions.pdf

=============================================================

The M65 field jacket can usually be found reasonably priced and is on my list to get this year!

That Kitanica looks serious!!! And sweet!

I haven't worn a field jacket since high school. lets just go with 20 years ago.
I currently have a full length leather overcoat I picked up in college at a second hand store for a reasonable price. ($50), and a dark brown covington coat I picked up at Sears.
Most of the time, I just grab a cotton hoodie and go.

...and I would dare say that the field jacket I have is going on 30 years old...well worn and broken in...just right. It will take me probably ten years to break in the Kitanica...it doesn't get worn often enough ! The bike leather is from the late 90's...bought it in Seattle...and the MA-1 has got to be close to ten years old by now. Nothing that still fits gets put aside... ;)

Dang! A full length leather jacket for $50!!! You have pics of that jacket? One of my other passions is vintage leather, classic leather, or nearly any leather!

Post pics man!

I have now...
I couldn't get my 15 y/o to model it for me, so I used the door.
100_2536.jpg

One bit of battle damage
100_2537.jpg

and the tag was like this when I bought it.
100_2539.jpg

Prolly to keep me from taking it to Macy's and getting my money back.

WOW! :shock:

I wonder how old the jacket is, it looks brand new!!! Do you know what kind of leather it is? Often, full length coats like this of the "vintage" variety, were made of horse hide, and THE GOOD CUTS! Not belly material, they would have been back pieces. They hold up extreemly well and show little wear. German officers leather coats were horse hide and can sometimes still be found looking brand new!

Thanks for sharing this!

I had a roommate give me a horse hide biker jacket that he had "outgrown" several years ago. It's a fine jacket that shows little wear after years of use. Sorry, no pics.

I know I need to saddle soap the coat, but dont know anything else about it. I dont know enough about leather to tell what kind it is.

Back