• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Collapsible stock of the M590A1

Maven77

Copper BB
Hello. I'm a newbie here. I have a new M590A1 Tactical 12 gauge, 6-shot, 18.5" barrel, with synthetic collapsible stock:

http://www.mossberg.com/product/sho...-special-purpose-590a1-adjustable-stock/53690

Its primary function is for home defense so I added a SureFire tactical light to it:
http://www.surefire.com/dsf-500-590-shotgun-forend.html

I have 3 questions:

1) Most importantly, the action release lever is NOT ergonomic, it is tiny, flat, and is #%&*# hidden on the left side of the receiver. This makes it unaccessible to my thumb or index fingers, unless I lay the gun upside down on a flat surface and under good light. Is there a longer retrofit available in the market or do I have to have a gunsmith fabricate one for me? I can't believe a tactical gun supposedly with mil specs has such tiny button. It is the only -but significant- disappointment of an otherwise VERY nice shutgun. The alternative is to store the shutgun with a shell in the chamber, but the point is that the action release button is unaccessible when holding the gun ready in a normal position.

2) In case I take it out to the range or hike around my property (I live in a rural area and in the forest), I'd like to have the option to add a sling, but the forend has no apparent way to add a swivel for a sling. The pump handle (tactical light) has a hole in it but I am not sure it was made for a swivel, and I am not willing to risk a pump jam with the sling. Any suggestions?

3) Is there any shell holder for the collapsible stock available? The stock that originally came from the factory has no marks or logos, and only the rubber shoulder pad displays "ArmsTech LLC" and "M-4". This is not important in my list, but if I was to add a holder for 4 or 5 shells , I rather put it in the stock for weight balance and not on the left side of the receiver, where it will interfere even more to access the action release button.

Thank you for any comments and suggestions.
Maven77

Last edited:
Is there a longer retrofit available in the market ?

Shoten Armory

They're members here who developed the piece you need. I'm sure they'll be along shortly.

I can't believe a tactical gun supposedly with mil specs has such button.

It doesn't work only because of the pistol grip stock.

The alternative is to store the shutgun with a shell in the chamber

Or the bolt unlocked.

but the forend has no apparent way to add a swivel for a sling.

Its on the end of the barrel nut.

A follow up: I contacted the guys at Shoten Armory before purchasing their action release lever, and since I don't know the brand of the adjustable stock (whatever they are installing on the 590A1 at the Mossberg factory) , Michael Levy asked me a few questions and for a couple of photos to help him guide me with the lever size selection.

I received the "short" lever in the mail in no time but I had to wait until Friday to install it - that's when home is quiet. In addition of dismantling the shutgun, I also had to remove the synthetic stock, as it was on the way of removing the trigger housing. I was already familiar with the trigger housing setup and the tricks required to reassemble its springs, so the upgrade was uneventful.

I did, however, had to grind about 3 mm off the plastic handgrip area below the new lever so that it moves freely (no grinding to the trigger housing or receiver were needed). I took my time with a tiny rotary tool, so it doesn't really show. I am very happy with the result. The Shoten Armory lever is exactly as described, fits like a glove, is ergonomic, strong, and it is the exact cure to my shutgun's handicap.

I am including a couple of pics below. If you have a 590A1 with collapsible stock, I definitely recommend you to upgrade to the Shoten Armory action release lever. Especially if your gun is the designated weapon for your home defense.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12168009@N08/13987517376/lightbox/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/12168009@N08/14007446781/in/photostream/

Last edited:
Back