• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Considering 500 for HD/Hunting

Gardien29

Copper BB
I'm new to this forum and shotguns in general, so thank you in advance for your help and comments.

I'm considering a pump action shotgun for home defense primarily and hunting occasionally. My options are to buy a 500 with long barrel and spare HD barrel or vise versa. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a model #50411 and adding a 28 inch hunting barrel (#90130) as I'm partial to a blued barrel for easy of cleaning as compared to matte blue.

Am I missing anything with my thought process (e.g. are there LOP considerations, etc.)? Do you have other suggestions? I'm not afraid of spending money for quality, but I hate wasting money and try to get as much value out of every investment I make.

Thanks, again!

Welcome from MI!!

I used a unmodified pump gun with 28" barrel as a HD gun for many many years.

They do make a combo that includes a security barrel and a field barrel.

Thanks, MikeD. I appreciate your quick feedback.

The issue I have with the Security/Field combo is that its based on the Maverick, IIRC. I would really like to stick with the 500 platform because it is a better quality firearm. Let me know if I'm incorrect.

Nope, it's based on the 500 platform:

Linky

Not sure if it's available in black polymer. Their new web layout makes it damn near impossible to compare models

Gardien29 said:
You are correct about their web site. Very poorly designed.

It's a recent change, it used to be very easy to see and compare different models within the same line.

If you want to keep costs down, try a model with a turkey barrel.

It is short enough to be easily maneuvered in a HD situation yet long enough to be decent for most hunting situations. It also comes equipped with choke tubes which allows further adjustment, tweaking of your patterns.

If your primary goal is HD with hunting as an afterthought I would pick the model you listed in your original post and then pick up a field barrel somewhere down the road.

As long as you stick with the std magazine (6 round) most barrels will fit. The higher capacity models have a longer magazine tube and the std barrels will not fit them without replacing the magazine tube as well.

Back