• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Considering Refinishing, Want Input

Misery930

.270 WIN
When I bought my 590, it was beat up. I wanted it because it was a really smooth action from lots of apparent hard use then did my first refinish. Matte black.

Then I got bored one weekend and decided to make it into a Mariner copy. Matte nickel.

It looks good now with the nickel finish but it's not durable at all. It's a matte nickle rustoleum and I've used Rustoleum in the past but despite baking it and letting it sit for a few days, it's not holding up well. I'm off 4 of the next 5 days and I'm thinking about going back to matte black. What are your thoughts? It's not my primary fighting shotgun so I can probably leave it as is and maybe put another coat on but ... I miss the matte black.

I refinished an 835 a few years ago with Cerekote. I used the bake to set varant and it is very durable. I did do a complete strip down and sandblast of tbe parts as part of the prep. I have a thread on it here but I'm on my phone right now which makes if harder for me to find it. Search for MikeDs 835 project and it should show up.

True...but that's what the first thing that popped into my head...

I have used Duracoat and Cerakote and if you have some place to bake your parts Cerakote is superior but has it's place. Both are leaps and bounds better than a rattle can paint job. I use combinations of the two. I use Cerakote on the metal and Duracoate on things I just do not want to bake like synthetic stocks, scopes,etc. This is Ceracoate and Duracoat.

Back