• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Could use input about tactical light and lazer for my 500

Chris C

.270 WIN
Guess the title pretty much says it all. I've decided I'm not comfortable jumping up in the middle of the night and not being able to see well enough to verify a target. I want to put a tactical light and green lazer on my 500. Could use suggestions about momentary switches, sturdy brands, etc.

Don't bother with the laser, just get a good weapon light. I'm a fan of Streamlight And a barrel clamp mount. Mine is currently on a pressure switch, but with proper positioning a tail cap switch can be activated no problem

Unfortunately pictures won't load at the moment. I need to update. I have a couple posted in other threads.

Thanks for the link, Lazy Eyed Sniper. I found that thread on my own, about 20 minutes ago and am busy reading it. Almost too much info to take in.

dieselmudder, why do you recommend against a lazer?

It's an unnecessary addition to a shotgun. To play devils advocate here I will say that I have one on my bedside handgun. Only because the chances of firing from an off position are more likely. I practice with it,some just to ensure accuracy, but i do not rely on it. Its highly unlikely that you will fire a 12 gauge from any other position than shouldered, or high tuck. In the former there is no reason not to draw a proper bead on your target. Also depending on brightness of the light, and how light the surroundings are a laser can be "washed out" rendering it useless.

are8upyd.jpg
<br /><br /><br />
ebajyda2.jpg
<br /><br /><br />EBay special clamp on tri rail, with a streamlight weapon light. Plenty sturdy enough for a sling point also. keep it simple<br/>

It's possible that you have made your decision by now, dieselmudder, but I am all for having both but your scenario could depend on where an intruder may be confronted. For example, my home has a natural "funnel" - meaning if I have to respond to an event, I am heading down a hallway towards an open area (statistically when you figure their options for entry). The intruder would have to enter into an area that is dimmly lit by a night light, so really no light is necessary for me but why would I have one iin this scenario? One of the two main reasons to have a Tac light is to blind the bad guy to the point they have no idea which way is up. So when they reach into their saggy pants or jacket for their pistol, they are literally shooting in the blind - better for you-bad for anyone else in the house - which is why you have to be quick on the draw. A light with lumens made for camping or walking your dog will not do. You will want a more projected light with a narrow beam - not the big lensed units. The narrow beam will act more like a guideance beam at that point.

You are spot on with using a green colored laser as it is more definable in a highly lit condition such as high noon. If your scenario layout is more like mine would be, a laser is all you need. I am not clear as to whether a super bright Tac light will washout the green laser. I myself haven't decided on which Tac light I will purchase, but it will be one that I can see shining on white concrete in the parking lot at high noon. Those were the type of units I've trained with and I don't plan on using Flash Bang.

Why do I say have both? Cause this is Merrica. You can have what you want and only use the one you need when you need it. I wasn't able to locate in the HD manual that having both will lessen your chances of successfully defending you, your family, or your belongings. I'm sure it will only increase your chances of being the one who is undead - as the first line of defense, that is pretty important. If that is in the manual, it is wrong.

Besides be ahead of the curve, who knows, maybe the bad guy has access to them internets and has the same fancy dangly things on his gun. Always maintain the upper hand...always.

Since I originally asked the question, here's what I ended up with. Decided against a lazer after a cop friend said it would actually put me at more risk. Just a Streamlight with a quick release. This light has "momentary", "on" and "strobe". My cop friend said the strobe would be extremely effective in disorienting a perp. Very happy with the results. Works great.

p754710937-4.jpg

p577028762-4.jpg

I carry the polytac on me at all times. I went with the HL for my daily use. Its a tough light. The ten-tap programming is nice. I have quick release mounts for it on my semi auto rifles.

Back