• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

CT Civil Disobedience ?

I only hope it really is civil disobedience. I have a feeling it might be something else. Like they didn't understand what they were supposed to do and/or they thought they had or will have longer to do it, etc. If it is civil disobedience, good on them! Maybe somebody will actually notice. Take care. Tom Worthington

I read that earlier! My final thought was good for them! The law abiding citizens of Connecticut have had enough with their governments nazi thinking!

NRA-ILA has this about CT. Am I correct that existing long guns are grandfathered? Or is there some other flaming hoop that residents have to jump thru?

The last major round of provisions in Senate Bill 1160 (now Public Act 13-3), passed in the Connecticut General Assembly and signed into law by Governor Dan Malloy (D) last year, take effect on Tuesday, April 1.
EFFECTIVE ON APRIL 1, 2014:

• Individuals must apply for a “long gun eligibility certificate” through the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection (“DESPP”) to purchase any rifle or shotgun. You are exempt from this requirement if you have a Connecticut permit to carry a pistol or revolver; a pistol or revolver retail sales permit; or a pistol or revolver eligibility certificate.
    • The fee (tax) for this certificate is $35 and must be renewed every five years.
    • You must complete a DESPP-approved firearms training course.
    • You must submit fingerprints with your application and a fee of $50 for state fingerprints and $16.50 for federal fingerprints.
    • The DESPP commissioner will have 60 days after the receipt of your application to issue the “long gun eligibility certificate,” which can then be presented to a licensed firearms dealer to purchase a long gun.

Gunny there is no grandfathering involved.
Already owned guns are not what this is talking about.
What they are talking about is, if you EVER want to buy another long gun then you need a permit to do so.

Gunny there is no grandfathering involved.
Already owned guns are not what this is talking about.
What they are talking about is, if you EVER want to buy another long gun then you need a permit to do so.

Ok. So it seems to me that all this will do is kill business in CT and force folks to go out of state for a private buy. :confused:

Armslist will get some more traffic.

How do you figure considering ALL firearms transfers NOW need to be called into Connecticut DESPP for an authorization and transfer number.
No permit = NO TRANSFER

I can go on armslist and check ads across the border. I get there are legal issues at play but if I wanted to buy a gun around the system that's what I'd do.

That's what I did for smokes in college. Drive to exit one in NH and buy a few cases and bring them down to CT to sell them. I bypassed taxes and all that stuff.

I can go on armslist and check ads across the border. I get there are legal issues at play but if I wanted to buy a gun around the system that's what I'd do.

That's what I did for smokes in college. Drive to exit one in NH and buy a few cases and bring them down to CT to sell them. I bypassed taxes and all that stuff.

Yes there are MANY ways to do things illegally, but the discussion was about the law. My answers and statements were staying within the law.

Yes there are MANY ways to do things illegally, but the discussion was about the law. My answers and statements were staying within the law.

The old saying "don't do the crime if you can't do the time" is always good advice.

They will eventually get around to 100% back ground checks for every sale which will make going to others states, private sales etc. more difficult if not impossible. They probably would have had it last year if they hadn't tried to piggyback to much into the law.

Trying to outlaw guns will only create a black market that will make the prohibition days pale in comparison.

Trying to outlaw guns will only create a black market that will make the prohibition days pale in comparison.

I think we know that many of "them" would just love to completely outlaw any gun of any kind, but very few of them are brave enough to publicly state that position. Take care. Tom Worthington

Everyone in Connecticut who owns a hi cap magazine, AR or AK or platform rifle should show up at the CTY courthouse or local police stations and demand to be arrested, jut to burden the State with costs for trials and incarceration. Think of the impact of 200,000 showing up with their mow illegal weapons and magazines and demanding the State arrest them.

And, before you ask; yes, I would!!

Thanks for posting that Tom. That's unreal. I'm sure they will pick off all they can one at a time as they come across them. I could see it evolving into anytime they get a call they sweep for gun and mags.

Scott, that would be the stuff of legend if everyone showed up and demanded to be arrested. If it did happen though I would bet they would book them, take the "evidence" and never prosecute it.

Back