• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cutting down 28" for slugs

kurtis

Ok so I have two 28" barrels and want to make one a little shorter for slugs. Would cutting one down to 24 or shorter affect accuracy? How short would you cut it down if you were just using rifles slugs out of it and maybe HD but I already have a shotgun in that role. All input welcome!

Leave it. I get much better accuracy with rifled slugs through my 28" barrel than my 18.5 or 20" barrels.

I've never noticed a difference in accuracy when it comes to barrel length.

But...I do shoot high with most bead sighted short barrels unless the bead is set high. Not really an issue of accuracy but an issue of POA vs. line of flight

That's good. With rifled slugs my (2) 18.5 smooth bore barrels (bead sights) it's a challenge to get anything near a group @50 yards. High left always. 28" with a modified choke is dead on @50 and acceptable @75 yards. CDNN is running a $59 sale on the 500 20" barrel (standard mag capacity) with two chokes. Might order one for kicks.

My 930 SPX BW hits in 4" groupings at 50 yds. consistantly. That's an 18.5" cylinder bore with GR sights. Federal Truball have been good to me.

Back