• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cutting down a barrel?

wicat3

.22LR
Hey everyone. I have read a few things about cutting down barrels but I have never had a need nor wanted too. I recently bought a few mossberg 500 AG shotguns for a great price with the intentions of building a Home Defense shotgun. I have an 18 inch barrel and I had played around with the idea of buying a 20 inch barrel conversion kit. From my understanding it involves the replacement of the mag tube and barrel. I'm sure its not hard but the kits are expensive or unavailable. So I started thinking that maybe I could cut a barrel down to 20 inches and get the best of both worlds. I have a spare 28 inch barrel that I could cut down and make work, but with that I have a few questions.

First is it safe?

Second. I have read and heard people say to have the end threaded and add choke tube but for Home defense I would want the barrel to be more like a smooth bore so I can shoot both buck shot and slugs out of the barrel. So the second question is should I thread the barrel and add a choke? If so what type of Choke?

Nice catch a few 500AG's. You get a chance post a pic or three.:)

As far as the 20" barrel conversion kit,,,,the one reason for buying that kit is to load more shells,,,,7+1 compared to 5+1.

You can cut your spare 28" barrel down to 20" but you still only load 5+1 and that barrel will NOT work with a 7 shot mag tube.

,,,and yes it's safe if done correctly.

I wouldn't worry about threading the cut barrel for a choke for HD.

I understand the 20" kit gives you the 7 shot mag tube which is a good investment but it seems for the price and the availability it is going to be a long wait to achieve it. I was also thinking with the 5 shot mag tube I can easily change out the barrels from one shotgun to another if needs be. The issue that I see is If I change out to the 7 shot mag tube i'm limited to that tube and the 20" barrel where the set up that I have now I can swap out different barrels. Mind you I may be over thinking this since I have 2 other mossbergs besides this one.

Yes, if you own multiple 500s, you are way over thinking this :)

The one and only reason for the 20 inch barrel is to accommodate the extended mag tube. If you don't want to have an extended tube, use the 18.5 barrel. There's no "best of both worlds" here.

As far as waiting time for the kit, I waited probably 6 months and got it for $100 from Brownells. Not a bad deal at all. Just back order or check the site religiously for when it comes in stock.

Yup, what they said ^^^^^...

A "normal" 500/88 mag tube will support 18.5", 28", 24" rifled and blackpowder, etc. barrels. This is all dependent on the identical location of the lug under the barrel that secures the barrel to the mag tube with the "take-down" screw. The 20" tube and barrel lug are near the end of the barrel and therefore, not compatible although apparently there are special order 28"? or 24"? barrels available to fit the extended tube.

As it sounds like you are flush with 500s, you can set up individual guns for different uses. Given a choice, if I were to cut a barrel down, and I have on many occasions, I would not use a ribbed barrel because it looks "hack" IMO. ;) I would cut a non-ribbed barrel down to 18.5" and non worry about threading for a choke because the typical HD rounds (slug or 00 buck) don't need to be choked at close range. The cut-down barrel markings will no longer apply (ie: length and choke, if "built-in") once the barrel is shortened--it will be cylinder bore (no restriction).

The pics are of a 500AT I cut down a while back (since sold). The comparo barrels are from a NEF/H&R SB1 12ga, one 18.5" and the other 28". I had thought of offering my barrel shortening "service" here but I would have to charge too much (maybe) to make it worth my while especially after shipping. Note that beads are re-installed when I'm done so the barrel looks OEM. And of course there are no cut marks at the end of the barrel.

BTW, Welcome Aboard, wicat! :)

Attachments

• 500at1.jpg
    500at1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 500at2.jpg
    500at2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 10
  • twin4.jpg
    twin4.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 11
Back