• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Cycling question

Ben Shook

Copper BB
Anyone ever had any issue with the 500 20 ga. cycling certain shells? Tried some 3" shells in mine today and it didn't cycle them well. Have no issues with Federal 2 3/4 shells, but it also didn't cycle Rio's well either. Had to use a little force to get it to load the next shell. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Are you having this problem after shooting a shell and trying to load another ?

Is it happening when you load the first shell from the mag tube ?

Have you given the gun a good cleaning ?

Is it a used gun ?

Is it marked on the barrel "2 3/4" & 3" ?

All the questions from old mossy need to be answered f before a proper answer can be formulated.
I can say that plenty of 12ga shotguns have issues with certain cheaper shells so I would say an issue with 20ga is certainly possible

It does happen anytime I'm chambering a new round, first shell or after having fired, but it is only with certain shells. I have stripped it down twice in the past few weeks and given it a good cleaning. It is a used gun, but it wasn't used very much. It is marked 2 3/4" and 3". Thanks.

Best answer you will find anywhere.........Don't shoot those "Certain Shells"
This issue happens ALL the time.

That's what I will do. They will cycle fine in my son's 870, so I will let him shoot them up. The 3" shells have me puzzled though.

LTB beat me to it.

Lots of the cheaper shells are cheaper because they cut corners and tolerances my suffer as a result. I think we've all run into certain shells at one time or another that just didn't work properly for whatever reason. There are too many options available out there to spend time beating your head against the wall. Just move on the the next.

Thanks MikeD. I know the Federals work fine, so I'll keep shooting those for a while. No big deal on the 3" shells right now either. I have a duck gun already. Might try to use the Mossy next season in the wood duck hole. If the shells don't cycle, my son can always shoot them. Thanks for the help guys.

My 500 is my go to gun for so many things including Duck & Geese. One of my hunting buddies got a real good deal on some 2 3/4" steel #2's. He kills the birds just as dead as 3 inchers I am shooting.

Back