• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dazed and Confused: The Search for the Perfect Mossberg

theryanc

Copper BB
Hey there,

I'm new to the site (and guns in general) but I'm looking to make my first firearm purchase in the next month here in Los Angeles. With all of the research I've done the last few months I've come to the conclusion that I absolutely must have a Mossberg 590A1 (she will be mine, oh yes...she will be mine...)

BUT, I'm going cross-eyed trying to figure out if the model I want actually exists. Particularly Item #53693. In the Mossberg online catalogue (http://www.mossbergs.com/images/dcatalo ... atalog.pdf), second to last page, it lists the 53693 under the heading "590A1TACTICALTRI-RAIL—ADJUSTABLE—9SHOT".
Now here's where I'm getting really confused. Right below that when it lists the gun's specs, it is a 6 Shot, but lists the ammo CAP as 9. It also says it has an 18.5 inch barrel, but when I look this model up online it has a 20". So......huh?

My dream 590A1 is the 53693 with the 18.5" barrel with 9-round capacity...Is this a real gun? Is it possible to even have 9 rounds on a 590A1 w/ 18.5 inch barrel? (I'm 5'7" and wouldn't hate the shorter length) Excuse my ignorance, but I've spent my 28 years avoiding guns and so I'm slow to the learning curve here.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Until then, I'm just making sure to finish reading Ayoob's Stressfire II and absorbing as much knowledge as I can on sites like this one and at the range. That said, I'm getting real hungry to finally place my order, just need to know the right model! (Sorry for the novel, I'm a writer.)

Congrats on your decision on the 590a1 and welcome aboard!

We're all to familiar with discrepancies among Mossberg's model numbers, especially on their website. However, to my knowledge the only 9 shot 590a1 models have a 20" barrel. Any model listed with an 18.5" barrel will be a 6 shot.

The information I see on Mossberg's site has the models listed as follows:

53693- 590a1 20" / 9 shot w/6 pos adjustable stock
53690- 590a1 18.5" / 6 shot w/6 pos adjustable stock

Welcome, new shotgun dude! :)

You've made a great choice to go with a Mossberg Special Purpose 12-guage. As you mention, though, the choices and options are rather daunting.

I am very much in favor of the 9-shot GRS sighted 590/590A1. I have one and love it.

You're correct that only the 20" models are 8+1 capacity.

Of them, the #50771 and the #53693 are the only 20" Ghost Ring nine-shot 590/A1s. Here's where they differ:

The #50771 has a fixed traditional buttstock which some prefer over an adjustable stock, and has a rear GRS sight mounted to a picatinny rail base on the receiver. Of course, down the road you could add an Aimpoint, EoTech or other red-dot/holo sight with ease. It also comes with an Ontario M9 Bayonet! This guns barrel, I warn you, is ported. Why, I cannot begin to tell you.

The other model you mention, the #53693, has the adjustable buttstock and the more robust rear GRS, but lacks the picatinny receiver mount and does not have a ported barrel.

If OFM would go back to the original 20" fixed stock GRS 8+1 they would offer buyers a third option which combines the best of both worlds, in my simple and humble opinion.

Let us know what you decide to order. You won't be wrong no matter which version you wind up with!

Don't forget about the model 51663, also a 20"- 9 shot 590a1 with GRS.

It's essentially the 50771 with no bayonet and a lower direct-mounted, rather than rail-mounted, GRS. The front sight post is also lower as a result. Also an option, the Blackwater series 590a1 model 51772 comes with rail-mounted GRS, a Speed Feed stock and a tri-rail forend. It all just comes down to your shooting needs and what features you're looking for. I own the model 51663 and absolutely love the Ghost Ring Sights.

Lazy Eyed Sniper & Nitsite--

Thanks for the quick responses! I think my heart's set on the 53693, but just to beat the subject to death...In theory, could I get the 9-shot 20" but special order it with a 18.5" barrel (Item #95332)? Just curious. I'm definitely going to limit myself to the models with the adj. stock.

You mentioned that the 53693 does not have a Picatinny receiver mount but it does have a Tri-Rail on the forend...Does that mean I can only modify the muzzle end and put a light on there? I'd like to add a saddle as well, do I need a Picatinny rail for this?

Again, you guys rock! I'm really stoked to finally join the proud Mossberg owner community!

I guess you could do that, but the overall length of the firearm won't change. You'd still end up with 1.5" of the 20" mag tube poking out from under the 18.5" barrel. Seems to me the advantages of having a shorter barrel would be lost on that configuration. In my opinion, the thing that makes the 18.5" models more manuverable is the reduced weight from the shorter, lower cap. mag tube, not the 1.5" less barrel.

With an adjustable stock, you control the overall length of the weapon and have way more than a 1.5" range of adjustment either way...

theryanc said:
You mentioned that the 53693 does not have a Picatinny receiver mount but it does have a Tri-Rail on the forend...Does that mean I can only modify the muzzle end and put a light on there? I'd like to add a saddle as well, do I need a Picatinny rail for this?

You can add a light, foregrip, or whatever you'd like to the tri-rail forend. As far as a side-saddle goes, most will mount directly to the side of the receiver. Some will also replace the existing trigger group retainer pin. So either way, no receiver rail is necessary for adding a saddle. The top receiver rail was added to offer the option of installing a scope or red dot in front of the GRS.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Don't forget about the model 51663, also a 20"- 9 shot 590a1 with GRS. I own the model 51663 and absolutely love the Ghost Ring Sights.

I agree that #51663 is a wonderful package in the 590A1 Special Purpose. The #50663 is a similar gun without the A1 features.

Whatever model you choose, your options down the road are pretty much wide open. The great thing about the platform is the wide array of available aftermarket parts and accessories. Take my 'a1' for example...

It started life as a bone stock model 51663. I've added a tri-rail forend, a foregrip, fiber optic front GRS post, and the Hogue short LOP stock that reduced the overall length of the weapon by three full inches. The OAL on my 20" 9-shot is now a full 1.5" shorter than the 18.5" barrel models plus I have the higher mag capacity.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

...lots of good advice here !!

nitesite said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Don't forget about the model 51663, also a 20"- 9 shot 590a1 with GRS. I own the model 51663 and absolutely love the Ghost Ring Sights.

I agree that #51663 is a wonderful package in the 590A1 Special Purpose. The #50663 is a similar gun without the A1 features.

i have the 50663 and love it! if you get a 590 instead of a 590a1 i would definitely recommend getting an aftermarket metal safety(about $30) as for the metal trigger guard and heavier barrel the regular 590 is plenty stout for 95% of people unless your planning on smashing your gun into steel walls and such (the military upgraded from the 590 to the a1 for that reason...marines thrashing them around big metal navy boats)

the ghost rings sights are awesome and definately worth getting a model with them whether is the direct to receiver mount or if its a picatinny mount is personal preference

either way everything is interchangeable between them and there's tons of aftermarket choices

dont all side saddles replace at least the rear trigger pin? my mesa replaces that and the lil bolt in the receiver up front (forgot what its called)

Many of them do, but there are a few side-saddles out there that don't require any modification to the receiver pins. Some use velchro tape and others, like the Max Mount from Havlin Sales, mount by use of the four holes drilled and tapped on top of receiver...

Weird, I'm totally late to this conversation! Thanks fellas, good insights and suggestions!

Well, we all have a favorite and mine is the 51660 590A1 9 shot with standard stock and bead sight. Clean slate ready to make it what ever you want!

On the 18 1/2" models... if you want the shorter barrel but like the look of the magazine tube coming out to the end of the barrel, you can add something like a Nordic Comp magazine tube extension to it, like a plus one extension and end up with an 8 shot capacity on an 18 1/2" barrel. That combined with an adjustable stock, allows you to bring the guns weight closer to your body in a way that better suits your build. Additionally, with an extension, you arent loosing all the realestate of the 20"

Thats all! :D Welcome to MO!!!

I just flew to Vancouver, BC yesterday so missed all these responses! Thanks for all the input, I'd been researching on other forums and definitely didn't feel comfortable posting on them. Loving this place already.

For some reason, I didn't realize the mag tube was the same length as the barrel! (dumb)
Since I am so close to putting in my order, I think I've just been a little giddy and want to make sure everything is just right before I put the money down. Confession: I even used a tape measure to imagine what the length difference would be between the 20 and 18 and my mind was playing tricks on me like "WOA, that IS huge difference!" Screw that, I'm gonna get the 53693, it's just too sweet.

I noticed the 53693 is on the more expensive side of the A1s, what is too much to pay? I live in LA so I don't have a lot of nearby options to buy this thing. I was thinking of gunrunnerstactical.com which isn't too far from me or if I have to, Gun World in Burbank.

@LazyEyedSniper --SWEET A1 DUDE!!!

I couldnt say what would be too much. I paid $440 for mine in DE and really havent priced anything else in the way of 590A1's.

Just venturing a guess, I would say in the area of $550 to $570 ... but I'm only guessing. Buds has good prices online, you can check CheaperThanDirt, and gunrunner as you mentioned. There may be a couple others...

When ordering online, dont forget you'll need to include the fee for the FFL transfer, and then you just have your 10 day wait!

I'm excited for you! :D

Well I called Gunrunners Tactical and they are trying to locate my 53693 from other online stores, not sure why, and calling Mossberg directly tomorrow. Apparently there isn't a warehouse full of these ready for shipment unfortunately. Still, very excited to officially get the ball rolling. (Hopefully I won't have to pay the MSRP which is just under $800 I think.)

Quick question though: Is the adjustable stock that comes with the 53693 comparable to the Knoxx stock? I looked at the comments about the ATI Talon stock and didn't get the impression it was made to Mossberg standards. Anyone feel they had to switch a Mossberg adj stock for a "better" one?

@Rosignol: I initially wanted to order from Buds but they will not ship any "defense" shotguns to California unfortunately.

Back