• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Deleted

464 has become one of my favorite guns, but I have had very poor success loading for it. So far I have not been able to make anything more accurate than Factory ammunition I can buy.

But mostly that is for lack of trying, I believe, as I have expended most of my efforts loading for the .223 varmint gun, various handguns and the shotguns.

This year I hope to get back to loading for the 464, and I do have some older experimental loads that I have not yet shot off, so there is that to look forward to as well.

Comparing the quality of manufacture between my Mossberg 464 carbine and my Marlin Guide Gun, I would say that Mossberg gets the nod in most cases. The Marlin actually functioned better right out of the box, while my 464 required much break-in work.

The Mossberg has better checkering and the wood fits better. They both have the same type of laminated stock but Mossberg's overall finish was better. Also the Marlin has crummy sights, though some folks have complained that Mossberg sights were defective, the quality of the Marlin front sight was very disappointing.

Evidently, when they screw the barrel onto a Marlin they don't care if it's exactly straight up at 12 o'clock, and they just bend the front sight until the gun follows it. Wow. ;(

But the Marlin feeds better, and I believe this is because my 464 needs some relief on sharp edges of the internal mechanisms.

The Marlin is definitely easier to field strip, though you might easily lose the ejector. Mossberg disassembly is more involved.

Being that the Mossberg is a .30-30 and the Marlin is a .45-70, I expected my Marlin would kick a lot more, but it really wasn't as different as I expected, and not really worse than my 12 gauge coach gun.

Anyhow time will tell which is the better gun, but at this point I believe that Mossberg has the edge on manufacturing quality.

Back