• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Did my own pattern test today

I like the door holster. I never thought about that.
Thanks. Just a piece of unistrut, a couple U.S. size sockets, ( all my cars are metric now, so no need. The bigger one takes the barrel with sight bead and the smaller one cups the mag tube cap) and a squeezed pipe clamp grabs the grip. Very secure hold..0EE67F7A-D881-4EBA-8BFF-C29AA621DD7C.jpeg41E9A09D-B7FB-44CD-872E-7A7494327EDB.jpeg

Sorry for the re-pic, but, only 18’ if they are at the screen door, 15’ if they come through the front door..about 5 or 6” spread either way..View attachment 26084

Very illustrative @Rodburner

That looks like your setup would be extremely effective!

I know I show my partiality to slugs but I also will concede that good buffered buckshot ammo is perfectly fine for most close distances.

My, preference for slugs comes from my LE background where I might face an armed adversary who is

1) inside a car
2) behind a solid front door
3) shooting from behind a wood framed barrier
4) beyond three car lengths away

and I wanted something (at that time) that would kill an elephant hiding behind auto glass or sheetrock. Hell, give me three slugs and I have breached a concrete block wall. :) I couldn't do that with a duty AR-15. But I could with my M1A or my shotgun! Hahahahahaa :)

And I ran a gun with ghost ring sights and a bright weapon light, which make for more precision than a bead sight. I admit to all of that and show my prejudices.

So I apologize for showing my bias for slugs. Obviously, 00 buck is terrific if you know your shot will be less than 30-feet.

Last edited:
Very illustrative @Rodburner

That looks like your setup would be extremely effective!

I know I show my partiality to slugs but I also will concede that good buffered buckshot ammo is perfectly fine for most close distances.

My, preference for slugs comes from my LE background where I might face an armed adversary who is

1) inside a car
2) behind a solid front door
3) shooting from behind a wood framed barrier
4) beyond three car lengths away

and I wanted something (at that time) that would kill an elephant hiding behind auto glass or sheetrock. Hell, give me three slugs and I have breached a concrete block wall. :) I couldn't do that with a duty AR-15. But I could with my M1A or my shotgun! Hahahahahaa :)

And I ran a gun with ghost ring sights and a bright weapon light, which make for more precision than a bead sight. I admit to all of that and show my prejudices.

So I apologize for showing my bias for slugs. Obviously, 00 buck is terrific if you know your shot will be less than 30-feet.
I don’t think anybody here is so skilled or competent that they would not choose an M134 mini gun over any shotgun loading in the event of a home defense scenario..I personally will never be proficient enough with any weapon to have a preference over the type of projectile during an HD situation. I can’t express enough, my gratitude to the LE community, having several relatives and good friends choosing this thankless job. I have the mix of slugs and buck in the weapon with the ( I know, wishful thinking) hope, that even getting spun around by the initial full load of double O, will make whatever follows,moot. I’m sure not gonna remember what load comes next in that moment. Lol

Nitesite, I'd say your "bias" for slugs is based on actual experience not something you've heard or read on the internet.

Given my military days I tend to agree with you, certainly within the applications you described. Additionally, I carry Brenneke Black Magic slugs because I live with bears and stopping a bear charge is paramount to your survival.

Nothing wrong with 00 buck for in house home defense at typical ranges but I'd still carry a couple of slugs on the side saddle just in case. Easy to transition to changing scenarios.

One factor, not discussed fully here, is whether you're planning to take an offensive or defensive approach to home defense. A bunker defensive approach may dictate different gun/ammo combination vice an aggressive offensive room clearing scenario. Room clearing is not for the faint of heart and IMO takes a massive amount of training to be effective and typically a minimum of two people to execute an the operation effectively. The other factor is whether you have a single or multiple intruders?

All this said if you're approach is to bunker in a bedroom with typically one avenue of approach and wait for outside help then this may call for differrnt ammo or even a differrent weapons system .

Just some food for thought!

Regards

Nitesite, I'd say your "bias" for slugs is based on actual experience not something you've heard or read on the internet.

Given my military days I tend to agree with you, certainly within the applications you described. Additionally, I carry Brenneke Black Magic slugs because I live with bears and stopping a bear charge is paramount to your survival.

Nothing wrong with 00 buck for in house home defense at typical ranges but I'd still carry a couple of slugs on the side saddle just in case. Easy to transition to changing scenarios.

One factor, not discussed fully here, is whether you're planning to take an offensive or defensive approach to home defense. A bunker defensive approach may dictate different gun/ammo combination vice an aggressive offensive room clearing scenario. Room clearing is not for the faint of heart and IMO takes a massive amount of training to be effective and typically a minimum of two people to execute an the operation effectively. The other factor is whether you have a single or multiple intruders?

All this said if you're approach is to bunker in a bedroom with typically one avenue of approach and wait for outside help then this may call for differrnt ammo or even a differrent weapons system .

Just some food for thought!

Regards
I really enjoy the brain teasers put forth by the experts among us. My preferred scenario is for the intruder to breach the front door, hence the 15-18’ range. If I happen to be sitting in the living room, that range drops to 12’, with the gun in the bunker/ bedroom, behind me. My house is single story and small. If they forgo the door altogether and jump through my front facing bedroom window, the range is 3-5’, the OO is 6’ away, so now it’s the hatchet or a knife, soooo. Lol

Rodburner, LOL! Not sure I'm an "expert". I'm just an old man, likely the oldest on this forum, with lots of hard miles and encounters with many situations over my 30 plus years of military special operations (21 in uniform and 12 in contractor direct support).

I certainly don't consider myself an expert but I always try to be very pragmatic in my thoughts and the things I share.

My focus has always been to plan for the absolute worst case scenario and practice "what if" drills during BOTH mental and physical training. Mind set is as important as the weapons you carry. And yes, you should also have a backup weapon all the time.

Regards

Back