• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Difference in felt recoil?

OK, this is getting expensive! :lol:

Now that my girl has gotten up the nerve to settle in at the range and fire the 590A1 (25 rounds before she had her fill), she was walking around the gun shop while I was making an ammo purchase and started looking into something for herself.

Honestly I am glad that she is taking to this as readily as myself, and she was impowered by her recent gift of her Ruger 10/22 that doesn't have much kick, and still allows her to enjoy the hobby.

My inclination is to get something that has a punch to it when making a choice. It is just my nature. But my larger frame and mindset enjoys that. It is just who I am. Unfortunately, my pleasuer is her pain. She wants to shoot, but is my polar opposite in that reguard. Big guns make her squeemish and I don't want to discourage her.

So that said, she is interested in a shotgun now that she is over the initail fear of mine. I would love to help her make the right choice for something that will give her a shotgun love without all of the shoulder pain.

Now to the question, is there a difference in felt recoil with the autoloader vs. a pump? I also need to find a way to get an autoloader, 20 gauge, and a .410 in her hands to try and get a feel of how big she wants to go.

Well, you got two options;
1.) Just buy both and you'll have the one she doesn't want (my personal option if the money is available.)
2.) See if your local range has a few to rent/test.

I think she'd be happy with the 20, but you can't really go wrong either way. If she's wanting something that's gonna reach out and touch something, I'd go 20.

Rent or borrow if possible the caliber she is interested in. Try box of ammo each.
Weight of the gun is key. If she likes a 20 try adding some weight to the stock if recoil gets to her.
I like a 20 as I'm getting older. Even my old standby started to get to me. As it was my gun- I
removed the buttpad from the ATI stock and added 8 oz of fishing weights inside. BIG difference in felt recoil.
Good luck! Just make sure the gun is sized to fit her before shooting.
If it is a borrowed gun use an elastic shell holder with lead weights taped in. They are only a few dollars and fishing weights are cheap also.

My reply is a bit different, but along a similar vein.

I'm going to assume that "your girl" is of average height in the US. So figure 5'5" (by wikipedia).

One of the problems with the Mossberg 930SPX is that it has a VERY long length of pull. I'm 6'3" with long arms and feel it's too long. There are no pre-built shorter buttstocks. Additionally, cutting a stock down can be problematic as the main action spring runs the length of the stock.

So while the recoil of an autoloader is significantly less than a pump (think bolt rifle vs. semi-auto), you'll have the problem of stock fit.

I do know some friends that built some shotguns for their significant others. These were typically youth 12 and 20 gauge pumps. They fit wonderfully and some were even a little too short, and easily fixed by more recoil pad.

The 930 is a great gun, but it's made for big people.

NoAim said:
One of the problems with the Mossberg 930SPX is that it has a VERY long length of pull.
I have an inch on you and I feel that way about every Mossberg shotgun I have ever handled unless it was made for a youth.

She does have an issue with a long LOP, so that is a very good point to make and keep in mind. Looks like the autoloader isn't a good fit as they all have a 13 or 14 LOP. I hadn't been able to put one in her hands yet, but I am sure once she tries one, she won't like that.

I have a friend I found with a 20 gauge that he is going to lend her to try. I'll know more soon!

Back