• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

DIY Shotgun Shell Cards!

Misery930

.270 WIN
This is what I've been spending most of my free time working on for the last few weekends. The quality has gotten better on each of them and now I've got it down to a very precise operation. I'm using a 7/8" loop per shell and 1 3/8" elastic per loop measurement and sewing velcro on the back instead of using the adhesive kind. My original design was free hand and so the spacing between the shells are inconsistent and the loops vary slightly in size. The sew-on velcro actually seems to work better than the industrial adhesive stuff I was gluing on. I'm obviously still using the adhesive side on the gun and sew-on side on the card.

Most recent (and best) on the bottom. 2 rounders and 6 rounders. The first few I made were done with a different nylon backing and wouldn't lay flat when loaded. The most recent cards have the stiffer nylon and don't warp when the shells are loaded. Also, I think the tighter spacing will help with the retention of the shells. If they're all pressed up against each other then it will be harder to knock them loose. I'm considering making belt loop variations and maybe some MOLLE compatible stuff too. Thoughts?

Nice work.

A thin strip of PVC or Kydex between the layers will help with keeping the strips flat when not attached. My loaded ESSTAC cards do curl up when not attached to something, so it's good to see you're addressing that. As far as for belt loop or MOLLE compatible versions it would be cool to see a separate nylon base plate that attaches to the belt or MOLLE platform. Then the cards can still be the same, you'd just have the option to attach them to multiple surfaces. MOLLE strap backing would cover both since you'd be able to run a belt trough it as well. I use a similar set-up on my shotgun rig although I simply sewed the loop Velcro directly onto the vest...

I did a lot of research and found the heaviest thickness nylon available and bought a roll of that. It's really hard to sew (I have to use needle nose pliers to get the needle through) but it seems to work really well. No insert necessary. I was going to buy a sewing machine until I saw how expensive they are. I don't know if a regular machine could even handle this kind of stuff.

Velcro backed belt and MOLLE attachments, huh? That's a really good idea. I could probably use the normal nylon for it too so it would be easy compared to working with the stuff I use for the shell holders ... More to come.

I sewed all the Velcro to my gear as well. Used the thickest sewing needle I could find that wouldn't bend or break on the way through. Wasn't easy, but it turned out pretty good...

Excellent!

On the sewing machines, the old singers (or similar) can often be found at flea markets or Craigslist for about $35 on the low side. You have to use a heavy canvas or denim needle. I always wanted one for leather but what I use has always been way too heavy for the sewing machine without buying the heavy industrial machines. Even so, I do want to do some lighter weight work and I'm told the older all metal machines work well.

Back