• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Do I need a sling?

I recently got a 590A1 with all Magpul furniture that came with the Magpul Forward Sling Mount and RSA Sling Mount...

(I'm a shotgun/rifle newb...)

So do I need a sling? Should I get a Magpul sling? Like the MS3 Gen2 sling? Should I get a bandolier sling? What about those slings with a single attachment point?

Thanks!

I'm getting ready to put the MS3 on mine when it gets here.

I have a single point now. I like it as long as I'm still hands on with her. If you need to free your hands to grab something. Its a pain. The 590a1 is heavy and it will bang your legs up.

I like he idea of being able to switch back and forth. If I'm heading out into the woods with my hands full, the 2 point is the way to go. Just my opinion. (I'm still a noob myself ;) )

Depends...will you be taking it on treks into the woods...carrying it for any kind of distance...?

Most but not all of my rifles and shotguns have slings...especailly if used for hunting. You can always detach them when not needed.

I'm looking to pick up a 590a1 myself this coming weekend ( Gun Show May 17th-18th )...and I'm getting a sling for that.

Post a picture of your 590a1...

It all depends on you. I don't sling my weapons. Even my rifle at work gets a 6" loop of 550 cord on the buttstock to clip it tot my vest, but no sling. I find them cumbersome and I don't carry on my back.

However, if you have the need for one then get one. If you don't, you will likely find it just gets in the way.

hiking , invaluable.....especially if you need both hands to climb, or any task that takes two hands and you don't want to set your rifle down or have it flopping all around like a singe point mounted sling. A lot of folks practice with them for using a long gun for home defense, idea being if someone grabs the barrel as you round a corner and tries to yard on your rifle they wont get it.

I think I'd only need a sling if we had a SHTF situation... My 590A1 is really for home defense and shooting at the range/trap/skeet. But if I can get one now, why not? Or wait for a gift card from Cabela's or somewhere...

In SHTF, go with a 2 point. At some point you'll need both hands and you won't want to lay your weapon down to do so.

Something like the Magpul sling that can go from 2 to 1 point would be the best of both worlds.

Situation dependent, as mentioned above. In the house, no, unless you are also carrying a sidearm; in which case if you have a jam with the shotty, you can let it hang on your weak arm while you use your sidearm instead of dropping it on the floor for the bad guy to recover and use on you. As for the bg grabbing the shotty, he better hang on tight because it will be spitting at him sling or no sling.

A little bayonet/buttstroke practice can be useful in the above situation. ;)

Single point is good for casual shooting. Fire off a couple rounds, then let er hang while you shoot the bull with your shooting buddies. The buttstock makes a good armrest. But for any real activity you will need 2 point, or just keep two hands on the weapon.

As for the bg grabbing the shotty, he better hang on tight because it will be spitting at him sling or no sling.
;)

there are plenty of examples of a person getting their chambered pistol taken away from them as it is pointed at the face of the person who disarmed them. Someone gabs a barrel as you are rounding a corner and pulls using the corner as a fulcrum you might get a shot off before you get taken for a ride....and if you use a pump it will be one shot only then it will be up to your strength, grip , reaction time and probably a grappling match.....that would happen with a sling too if you round a corner wrong but bottom line it they wont get it from you and point it back at you even if they break your grip so there is merit in using a sling for HD if one is inclined to do so

there are plenty of examples of a person getting their chambered pistol taken away from them as it is pointed at the face of the person who disarmed them. Someone gabs a barrel as you are rounding a corner and pulls using the corner as a fulcrum you might get a shot off before you get taken for a ride....and if you use a pump it will be one shot only then it will be up to your strength, grip , reaction time and probably a grappling match.....that would happen with a sling too if you round a corner wrong but bottom line it they wont get it from you and point it back at you even if they break your grip so there is merit in using a sling for HD if one is inclined to do so

Well, sure. There's all kinds of things that might not go according to plan. Best laid plans and all that. :)

Got mine in today.

Here it is set up as...

2 point
9anysy4a.jpg

Have it hooked to swivels
uny2equ4.jpg

1 point
ene5e5uh.jpg

And a little plug for Shoten's Slide Release Lever :p
7epegaje.jpg

I have a Condor single point sling and I think that's a little more comfortable. I got this one mainly to use as a 2 point. I shoot about 1/2 mile back into the woods. A couple of trips going back with my hands full, I was sick of the single point real quick :p

As said above, the both have their roll and that's what drew me to this one. So easy to switch it up when you want.

Hope that helps some.

I have a Condor single point sling and I think that's a little more comfortable. I got this one mainly to use as a 2 point. I shoot about 1/2 mile back into the woods. A couple of trips going back with my hands full, I was sick of the single point real quick :p

As said above, the both have their roll and that's what drew me to this one. So easy to switch it up when you want.

Hope that helps some.

Pretty cool. I' going to get a black MS3 gen 2 for my 590A1. I like keeping it all black... For now.

photo2_zps892c31ed.jpg

(From earlier today. After it's first cleaning. You can see the 2 sling connect points.)

I own a 500 and a 464 spx. They both have slings on them. Both guns have a 5 and 1 ammo capacity. A sling allows me to shoulder an empty weapon and move to a side arm until I can reload. Also most slings have a loop in the back to help steady your shot while shooting off hand or in sitting position. But most of all it does help to carry your long gun.

Got mine in today.

Here it is set up as...

2 point
Have it hooked to swivels
uny2equ4.jpg

Hope that helps some.

So, I'm looking at your picture and I notice how the front part of the sling is attached... and because of the Magpul Forward Sling Mount scratched the heck out my my barrel and magazine tube (which I'm bloody ticked about), I looked at my 590 and noticed that I have a hole at the bayonet mount just like yours. What is that? Is it from Magpul or other manufacturer?

(Update: Just emailed Mossberg about not receiving a bayonet lug with my 590A1 and my scratched barrel due to the Magpul Forward Sling Mount, with pictures.)

Last edited:
I'm a little late to the party.

Are slings a necessity, no, but they have their place. personally I do not use them on a HD gun, I see it as just one more piece of stuff to get in the way. I do however have sling studs installed so I can slap it on if I am forced to leave or need to use the gun for other purposes.

Even when hunting the usually remove the sling as soon as I get into my blind, it always seems catch on something or hit something and make noise. When turkey hunting it is one more thing that moves and can give my position away.

Same Mike. When its sitting beside me in the house, more often than not, I'll have the sling removed. In high stress, I see the sling being in the way. (For me)

Pixelated, that's a sling swivel stud that came with my 590.
It was in a small envelope inside the box.
I'm not sure if you can pick up any stud or if Mossberg has a certain size.

Back