• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Does the 500, 12G Field (Wood) have a long or short Forend/Tube?

st1264

.270 WIN
Was thinking about buying this shotgun sight unseen, just wondering if you guys know if it has the short forend or long one (2 different tube lengths for Mossbergs).

I don't believe it has the cheaper fused action bars/forend...

27899-173105

I believe this is the model # and page on the manufacturer's site.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/500-hunting-all-purpose-field-50120/

Definitely does not have pinned bars, I've only seen that on Polymer forends.

Are you buying it used or from a Online dealer? If so I would ask them to pull the barrel and measure it.

I found an old email Joe Zaker sent me awhile ago about the slide tubes,,,,,,,,,

c&p......
Good morning,
The 500A 12ga’s with action slides will be the wood furniture (these are short action 6 ¾) and the tactical models (security with long action 7 3/4). The transition from the action slide to pinned has been going on for a while already. If anyone needs further information to be certain they can reach me by e-mail with a photo of the firearm and or by serial helps as well. Take care and thank you for the support to have The Mossberg name and its service department for your community to be positive and safe.

Joseph Zakher
Product service leadman technical support.
Mossberg Authorized service center
Maverick Arms Inc
1001 industrial Blvd
Eagle Pass, TX 78852
1-800-363-3555
Fax (830) 773-5893

I found an old email Joe Zaker sent me awhile ago about the slide tubes,,,,,,,,,

c&p......
Good morning,
The 500A 12ga’s with action slides will be the wood furniture (these are short action 6 ¾) and the tactical models (security with long action 7 3/4). The transition from the action slide to pinned has been going on for a while already. If anyone needs further information to be certain they can reach me by e-mail with a photo of the firearm and or by serial helps as well. Take care and thank you for the support to have The Mossberg name and its service department for your community to be positive and safe.

Joseph Zakher
Product service leadman technical support.
Mossberg Authorized service center
Maverick Arms Inc
1001 industrial Blvd
Eagle Pass, TX 78852
1-800-363-3555
Fax (830) 773-5893

Thanks. I was thinking it would have been the short tube and I would be in luck... as I wanted to keep the wood furniture when I swapped in the 14" barrel kit that I was going to buy. Unfortunately, I missed the Cabelas.ca sale where this 500 Field model was discounted by $90 :(

20161002_134812_zpsmdrvizqb.jpg

Short tube I'm assuming. I asked the seller to measure for me to make sure, this is his "BNIB 12G Field w/chokes".

This wood looks like it has little grain and most likely won't take refinishing very well??? If this will work for my project, I'd like to go to a dark walnut or deep red. Of course, the 14" barrel kit will be parkerized, so it may look out of place with the glossy blued receiver.
th

Factory Mossberg complete 14" Short Barrel conversion kit for 500/590 series shotguns.

Kit Includes:
14" Barrel
Tube Nut 500A/835
M590/835 Mag Cap, Parkerized
Magtube M514, Parkerized
Magazine Spring Retainer 590/835, Parkerized
Spring, Magazine 835
Forearm, M514
Barrel Assembly 514 Bead Sights Heavy, Parkerized
Action Slide Assembly 500/514, Parkerized

Last edited:
On sale for $245 CDN. Find out the exchange rate for today to calculate the US $ amount if you want.

About $185 US funds for the kit (on sale for $245 CDN, it's now regular price at $289). Still waiting to receive both the 500 Field and the 14" Heavy Barrel kit. Might do a build thread if everything goes smoothly. I'm going to sell the 28" hunting barrel w/chokes.

Will see.

Back