• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Don't depend on You-Tube Follow the manual's instructions

Duane

I'm glad to hear that others here like and endorse FrogLube.

I'd bought an 8 oz tub of the paste a couple weeks ago, but hadn't got around to trying it.

I figured that my new 930 SPX Blackwater would be a good place to try it out.

Other than a function check, checking for barrel obstructions, etc., I test fired this gun right out of the box. I didn't clean it at all for this test.

I used low brass #8 target ammo for the test. It went through a box of 25, with no problems.

So yesterday I stripped the 930, cleaned it, and gave it the FrogLube treatment. Once I got it back together, it felt smooth, but it also felt smooth right out of the box. I'll see how the FrogLube performs.

I guess that this post is really not so much about FrogLube as it is about the dis-assembly/re-assembly of a 930, and my gullibility.

I'd watched a couple you-tube videos on the dis-assembly/re-assembly of a 930, and saw how easy it was. Sure, I can do that.

The videos I watched did not include removing the trigger housing assembly, so I didn't do it. At least not at first. :(

After the FrogLube treatment, when I was trying to put it back together, I ran into a problem. As hard as I tried, I could not get the slide link to fit into the return spring plunger. Several tries later, I broke out the manual and saw they said to remove the trigger housing assembly, and re-install it after re-installing the slide, slide link, and bolt.

Duh, it was a peace of cake after that.

Moral: If all else fails, read the instructions. :eek:

Duane

Re: Don't depend on You-Tube Follow the manual's instructi

With all due respect... watching youtube videos and following that individuals instructions should be used as aid with common sense in mind. I quite often reference Youtube as an aid for new users. It will give them a better hands-on visual then the manual at times and will allow them to mentally break the firearm down.

The Manual is a GREAT backup but can also overwhelm some new owners and be very confusing. I have referred to my manual a few times and even gone over it just to see what is in it! I wouldn't completely dismiss Youtube as an aid. Watch a few videos, get an idea and proceed with caution using your head :D

Well said Rick.

Being an old timer by some measures.
I had plenty of guns a LONG time before home computers, the internet or Youtube.
When purchasing a new gun these days I watch all the Youtube videos on it first.
Youtube makes things much easier than "Back in the Day" ;)

I agree with all that you guys have said.

My intent was not to put down You Tube.

I've learned a lot there myself.

I guess that maybe I didn't express it correctly.

What looks so simple and easy on a You Tube video may be a little
more complicated. The presenter may have done it hundreds of times
and may not mention every trick that he's learned along the way.

For example, I know that the gun CAN be put together without removing
the trigger group assembly, because I've seen it done. I just haven't learned that trick yet.

Hope that I didn't ruffle too many feathers. If I did, I apologize.

Duane

No feathers ruffled here Duane.
Just commenting on your post on my my favorite forum. :cool:

honestly... it sounds like for some reason in your process of strip down and reassembly, your either not starting by locking back the slide(which cocks the hammer) or somewhere else in the process you are inadvertently pulling the trigger(which releases the hammer).

the hammer in the uncocked position sticks up and would easily obstruct the plunger.

you only need to lock back the slide to start then once your barrel and action assembly(piston, spring and push rods) are removed, use the slide release button to let out the bolt. you never need to pull the trigger.

I also drop my bolt/slide assembly back in the receiver with the butt pad on the ground to let gravity do the work of aligning the tail with the plunger tube.

good luck getting it figured out man.

I'll be sure to pay attention to those things next time. I "think" that I did like you said, but can't be sure now. :?

Thanks,

Duane

Back