• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Dummy shells

Hi, I bought some Tipton snap caps for cycling / dry firing drills. The gun will not fire with one of these in battery. The gun fires fine with nothing in the firing chamber, however it seems to cycle them okay. They don't seem super smooth going into the magazine tube, but I am not claiming to be an expert for sure. I have not had a chance to get to the range with this and see if normal live rounds will fire. Does anyone know if this is normal for these types of snap caps?
View attachment 24746
I got two very similar to those and they do not work well in my 590A1

I got several all orange plastic ones and they work very good but get worn out pretty quickly

What model shotgun do you have? It sounds to me like the bolt is not fully going in to battery. The snap caps may be a bit over size or something. I have used several different brands in my 590 with no problems, but I have not tried the Tipton snap caps.

Mossberg 590 Persuader, The bolt seems to close the same with or without one in the chamber. I marked a spot on an extractor, closed it empty and with a snap cap.What prevents the hammer from falling with something in the chamber? I wonder if it is just barely not closed. Perhaps I can sand down the rim on the snap caps a bit.
I measured the rims of both the snapcap and a remington 2-3/4" #8 shot target load. This is what I got with a caliper:

snapcap: Diameter = .8865 Thickness = .06
Remington target load: Diameter = .881 Thickness = .055

Last edited:
Do the snap caps work in another gun?

I would test this before modifying anything.

I don't have another 12 gauge handy atm. Only an older 20 gauge single shot. Soon as some of this snow melts down, I'll grab a buddy and head out into the forest with this 590 and a friend's 12 gauge to do some more figuring. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Back