• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Early electric butter churn

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
While growing up, we used a very basic 1 gallon jug with a screw on lid and shook it until everything separated.

I have also used an old churn that was nothing more than an old jug with a handle that you pull up and down until everything separated.

But while cleaning out from under the front porch of our house, in amidst a truck load of junk I hauled to the garbage dump, I kept this early electric butter churn.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as an electric churn.

This would've been considered "livin' good" back when I was growing up :lol: :lol:

The motor and belt are gone, and the entire thing has a coat of rust from top to bottom, but the wheels and gears are still free and everything turns and works despite it being over a hundred years old now.

I'm thinking of sandblasting and refinishing and maybe finding a small motor for it to get it back to working order.

Mostly because it's getting cooler weather and I am needing a winter project, and two, because I like to save this old stuff rather than just letting it ruin and go to waste.

The wooden base and the bottom part that would actually churn the milk is still pretty solid, but I think I will replace it with new wood.

Mainly because if I restore it, I will probably use it and I don't think I want to eat anything that touches that :lol:

Anyway, here's some pics.

The text says:
The Reliable Churn
Patent date Jan 4 1910
Taylor Bros Churn
St Louis MO

electricchurn001_zps998606a3.jpg

electricchurn003_zpsd91ec5c2.jpg

very cool find, and in the event of no electricity a treadle could be easily adapted.

I hadn't thought about converting it over to manual operation because it's the only electric churn I have ever seen in person, but a crank handle or old bicycle pedal or what-not could probably be welded to the bottom/side gear to crank it by hand I suppose if it came down to it.

I have done some searching online and I couldn't find a lot of info about this churn. A few ebay ads, but one old sales flyer that I saw from the 1920's listed these at over $85, and funny enough said the motor can be plugged into any standard light bulb socket by screwing it where the light bulb goes.

Bottom right hand of the page. Hopefully it'll expand enough to read it.

Anyone have an idea of what size motor to use? The original specs were 1/15 HP.

I expect that it would be a slow RPM rate, but I don't really know where to start with that yet.

Or, if anyone knows someone who may have one that could look on the original motor plate, I'd be willing to make a few long distance calls if need be.

I attached a copy of the original ad, but here's a link to Ebay so you can cursor over and zoom in enough to read it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-AD-Taylor- ... 1012567365

Attachments

• john churn 2.jpg
    john churn 2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 25
Back