• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Elevator Issue: Failure to Feed & Service Experience

truckct

Copper BB
Hey all, New to the forum. I purchased an SA-20 (26 inch barrel, adult stock) through Dick's Sporting Goods about 4 weeks ago, and unfortunately had an issue right away. I know there has been some speculation about the ability to get parts/service on the SA-20 since it's imported. I guess I'm ending up being a Guinea Pig, and so I'm posting to share my experience.

After purchasing the gun, I did a quick clean and lube of the gas system and bolt an took it to the trap range for some test rounds (only used target loads). It functioned fine when single loading rounds into the chamber. However, it would not feed at all from the magazine. Turns out the elevator was not raising the shell high enough to feed into the barrel causing the shell to jam against the front of the receiver/bottom of the chamber. The issue occurs consistently both when hand cycling or fire cycling the action.

Upon further examination, it turns out that the elevator appears to be crooked, and actually mis shaped as the pin holes do not line up when it is removed from the trigger assembly. The elevator pin that holds it to the trigger group was also broken into two pieces allowing it to further mis-align when cycling and wear open the pin hole in the trigger assembly. Seems like quite a failure after less than 50 rounds of target ammo.

I contacted Mossberg service. They stated that they could not sell parts for the SA-20 because it is imported, but they would have parts to service it. So far, they've had it in hand for 2 weeks with no contact. I'll post pics if I can figure that out, as well as how my service experience goes. I'm a long time Mossberg owner/fan, but I'm a bit Irked as this gun was intended for my daughter to allow her to start learning to shoot a shotgun, and shoot trap/skeet with me.

Attachments

• get-attachment.jpg
    get-attachment.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 645
Welcome aboard!

Sorry to see you're having issues with your new SA-20. Stay on Mossberg CS and they'll get you sorted out. Good luck and keep us posted...

Here is a pic of the elevator looking from the rear. You can see how the elevator mounting holes are crooked when it's removed based on how the screw driver fits into them on an angle.

Attachments

• elevator.jpg
    elevator.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 647
welcome from NY. sorry to hear about your problem with the sa-20.

Well, going on 6 weeks since I shipped it to Mossberg. Becoming more frustrated: so far, not a word from Mossberg customer dis-service.

Greetings also from NY.
I have a similar issue although not as bad. sent it back 2x. trigger group replaced better now but not 100%. slot still does not line up. Takes a long time with Mossberg/Maverick warranty.
I posted a thread a while ago called "Loading and unloading issues" but only got 1 comment so I guess it is not a common problem. read the thread and see if you notice the same misalignment issue with the tab on the lifter and the slot in the action arm. it seems like it will cause the lifter to twist and bend when you load and unload the mag. slight but consistent.
Let us know what you find.

Brian, thanks for the link to your post. I didn't notice any interference issue with the elevator and action bars/bolt. I attributed the issue to the broken elevator pin. But, I'll double check when I get the gun back.

Called Mossberg/Maverick CS. They said they've had the gun in their shop since May 11th and are waiting on parts to complete the repair. Sounds like a long wait for parts. Kind of surprised that they wouldn't carry parts in stock for their guns even if its made in Turkey. They are hoping to have it in my hands within 2 weeks.

Called Mossberg/Maverick CS today, exactly 3 weeks to the day after my last call when they told me they were just waiting on parts and it would only be 2 more weeks. Based on today's call, after pressing several times for an actual status update, it hasn't even been looked at by their technicians yet and it may be up to another month before its complete. They've now had it in hand for 6 weeks without a technician even looking at it. Is it just me or is that crappy service??

I have the same issue on my brand new SA-20 Turkey Thug ; I was going to ship it to Mossberg - but I don't want to wait 3 months for them to get the job done . My gun malfunctioned right out of the box . I will take it to my Gunsmith and have him fix it and will get it back next day . I am VERY disappointed with their quality control and their very poor customer service .

well........., I didn't get it back next day , in fact I'm still waiting on it !
The gunsmith did tell me that the lifter was screwed up in that it would not allow a shell to slide into the mag tube freely . It would cock the shell so that it wasn't parallel to the mag tube and
that's why it was so hard to stuff a shell in there !

Got my Thug back from the gunsmith today .........a couple of weeks seemed pretty long when I was told most fix's take only a couple of days .
He did some polishing and bending and sez it's all set now . I will see soon enough when I head down to "the Farm" to do some testing .

Back