• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Estate 00 2 3/4" malfunction in 590a1

The roll crimp ammo with the clear plastic does not feed in my shotgun. The shells go up and the end catches on the barrel hood in the recess where the lug on the bolt sits. Can I smooth this and bevel the edge on the front to keep the shells from catching there? Anyone else have a problem with this ammo? I have 500rds of it...

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully someone will be able to help you with your problem.
I just ran a few shells through my 590a1 with no issues. This however is the Estate 00B that has red plastic.

... the end catches on the barrel hood in the recess where the lug on the bolt sits. Can I smooth this and bevel the edge on the front to keep the shells from catching there?

Sure you can. Dremel the heck out of the barrel/bolt lockup recess. Bubba it. Remove lots of metal that you can never put back.

No:::: I'm kidding. Definitely do not do this please.

Where did the shotgun come from? A gun shop or big box retailer? How new is it? Have you tried other ammo? I have more questions but I will stop here for now.

Back when I borrowed a friends 500 (which got the Mossberg itch started in me), he had some Estate rounds he got because they were on sale (still almost 2x what the Remington ammo was) and I had MANY feed issues with them. The problem was a poor crimp that wasn't even, it just wouldn't feed into the chamber. If you really slammed the forend, it could go in but that's not a great solution. My solution was to never use that ammo again :) I recall it was buckshot too. I've got some Estate birdshot and it doesn't have crimp issues. But unless it's on sale and I verify no crimp problems, I'll ignore Estate and just go regular Federal & Remington.

Few years old. I have thousands through it with no problems. It's these roll crimp shells causing the problems. It catches on the front of the lockup recess. The bolt lug contacts the rear. I'm wondering if I break that corner if it would help.

I shoot the Estate 00 Buck 9 Pellet with the roll crimp you describe all the time...hundreds of rounds so far...and no problem in my 590a1.

I do download the magazine by 1 shell as the roll crimp does add a little extra to the length of the shell...as noted:

Note: As with many buckshot loads, this ammunition is roll-crimped, making it slightly longer than star-crimped loads. The overall length of this ammunition is approximately 2.46".

(and since I'm not in a life or death struggle, it's not a big deal that I cannot load it to "full capacity" )

Are you loading the mag full, then shucking one in...!?

Easiest fix...don't use the Estate. Simple

While I have not shot Estate 00 buckshot yet, I have shot cases of Noblesport 00 and #4 buckshot and both have the clear plastic crimps. I have shot cases of Rio Royal 00 buck that had the same plastic crimp. Never had any malfunctions with my 590A1. I also shoot Remington and Federal 9 pellet 00. with out any issues as well.

Guess I'll have try some Estate 2 3/4" 00 buckshot.

Last edited:
I've shot tons of it through my 590A1 also. Only issue I've ever had with it is that it won't load to full mag capacity so to the lover European crimp. I don't use it for defensive ammo though so I don't care.

Hope you figure it out. It would bother me if my shotgun wouldn't cycle anything I put in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back