• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Evening bucksaw project

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
After seeing some folding bucksaws on the youtubes, I figured they were easy enough to craft. So a 1x4 piece of Hickory, some hardware, and a few hours later, this is what I have.

9d2701a498e191f9d8c0e309f86d3f16.jpg

e88ef5df77d77f2c3e44238010c26e85.jpg

Oh snap! That is cool. How easy was it to make?

Pretty easy. Used a table saw to rip the board, then again to cut the slot for the blade to fold into. Cut the tenonns for the cross piece by hand. Cut the mortises with a router. Rounded all the corners with a knife. Drilled the holes with a drill. Didn't save any dimensions. Pretty much all just guess and check. Got stainless binding posts for the blade pins from ebay.

What blade is that? It looks like a pruning one? I have one with a steel handle, but was thinking about making one out of some nice rock maple I have laying around....

It's a 24 inch Bahco. It's the dry wood blade. I also got the green wood blade. I went with the binding post screws, to make blade changeability easier. The tensioner is just a piece of popular dowel, and some heavy duty string line from work. I believe it's kevlar.

Thanks. It's handy to be able to take down. And take camping. To do it again I would cut a narrower kerf. The blade tends to wander around when cutting larger diameter.

Ok, I did it. Not fine work, rough n ready just hand tools, it cuts . Blade and bolts from Ace under 10 bucs. Il sand handle latter, Well see how it holds up, good they easily fixed or rebuilt. Thanks for,motivation @dieselmudder . Love me some knowledge combined with some hands on is priceless in my book. Knowledge weighs exactly zero pounds in the rucksack.

0329191214_HDR_20190329122955533_20190329123044750_20190329123139251.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. Mine hasn't been out of my camp tote in a couple of years. I need to get it out and use it some.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Back