• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Expansion in Texas

It's unfortunate that it had to come to this, but I'm sure it'll be a great move for Mossberg in the long run...

We all knew it was coming....just a matter of time.

And it's about time!

Bad for CT good for TX!! The question is whether or not the legislative power in CT will take notice or view it as a win.

Malloy doesn't give a rats ass about us gun owners. He views it as a win.

The loss of a tax revenue stream and the loss of potential employment opportunities seen as a win? D*mn. He's really looking out for his people, isn't he? :confused: Take care. Tom Worthington

I can sleep easy now knowing that CT is safe from all those evil guns!!

I honestly don't know how those that still live there have survived what must have been an armageddon of gunfire from every corner of the facility. I can only imagine the untold numbers that instantly dropped just for being near the presence of such firepower. I can only wonder how people were even able to get close enough to facilitate the move. Heros I say!!

</sarcasm - just in case it wasn't obvious>

I'd welcome them to MI but no-one moves into MI any more, esp industry of any kind.

Not meaning to go OT, but I watched Gov. Perry on Hannity last night and he had a LaRue Tactical hat on. :)

I saw that too. I was thinking OH YEAH!!!!

But in all honesty, Gov. Perry has reached out to virtually any gun manufacturer in the country whether it being in CT, NY, Washington State, etc.

I wholly respect that.

As for Mossberg, they already have facilities there, so it only makes sense that they would move there.

As for anti-American lawmakers (just calling it what it is), they should all be sent packing.

Being in Texas I see it as a great move. Perry has been really aggressive in getting gun manufacturing jobs and related industry into the state. Magpul told Colorado to shove it and moved part of their operation up near Dallas/Ft Worth. I was hoping it might have been closer to the SA/Austin area. Same with Mossberg. Had either decided opened up a facility here in the San Antonio or Austin areas I'd be in line to apply for a job asap. Eagle Pass is just too far away for a commute but it makes perfect sense to expand what they already have going on there. One of these days I'd love to make a day trip and head over for a visit if they would allow it.

Last edited:
Being in Texas I see it as a great move. Perry has been really aggressive in getting gun manufacturing jobs and related industry into the state. Magpul told Colorado to shove it and moved part of their operation up near Dallas/Ft Worth. I was hoping it might have been closer to the SA/Austin area. Same with Mossberg. Had either decided opened up a facility here in the San Antonio or Austin areas I'd be in line to apply for a job asap. Eagle Pass is just too far away for a commute but it makes perfect sense to expand what they already have going on there. One of these days I'd love to make a day trip and head over for a visit if they would allow it.
Well, there's Texas and there's TEXAS. Austin/SA, Houston, El Paso...are TINO (Texas In Name Only). I live in Houston...run by a fat Lesbian who was the first to applaud the new NY law and is a liberal giving free lunches at 400 locations all summer to anyone who walks up and says they are under 18. No questions and se habla espanol!

The last also dem mayor White a few years back invited Katrina "evacuees" to stay in Houston. Crime hardly went up at all officially, but my FBI friend gave me the real scoop about how since then FBI driving in certain areas always have handguns drawn. The Chief of Police lied and got a big raise right before he retired...so the people of Houston could better support him in the manner he had come to expect. No, parts of Texas are no different from MI or CA or CT. Perry the PR man just wants you to think it is all pure capitalism here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, there's Texas and there's TEXAS. Austin/SA, Houston, El Paso...are TINO (Texas In Name Only). I live in Houston...run by a fat Lesbian who was the first to applaud the new NY law and is a liberal giving free lunches at 400 locations all summer to anyone who walks up and says they are under 18. No questions and se habla espanol!

The last also dem mayor White a few years back invited Katrina "evacuees" to stay in Houston. Crime hardly went up at all officially, but my FBI friend gave me the real scoop about how since then FBI driving in certain areas always have handguns drawn. The Chief of Police lied and got a big raise right before he retired...so the people of Houston could better support him in the manner he had come to expect. No, parts of Texas are no different from MI or CA or CT. Perry the PR man just wants you to think it is all pure capitalism here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I live in the general SA area but definitely outside of it in a suburb. SA itself in various places is exactly what you've described. No argument here sir. FYI my brother in law used to be a firefighter in the city of Houston. Believe me I've heard from him some stories that made my skin crawl about that city and its local goverment. He also dealt with may of those New Orleans transplants.

I still think its great that alot of firearm industry is coming here. I agree its sad to see honest hard working Americans elsewhere get displaced though.

Article From 1989

Last fall Mossberg officials took a handful of gun writers to Mexico primarily to peruse its all-new plant at Torreon, some 200 miles west of the tourist community of Monterey, and also to enjoy a bit of dove hunting with Mossberg's new autoloader (Model 5500 MKII).

The Torreon plant went into operation in the summer of 1988 and only barrels for Mossberg scatterguns will be manufactured there. Keep in mind, by Mexican law, no firearms can be constructed in Mexico, yet component parts can and for this reason the Torreon facility is at present producing shotgun barrels only. However, we were informed that in the future other parts may be made there as well.

The Torreon facility currently employs some 140 Mexicans (that was back in the summer of '88); it now employs some 200 Mexicans, with a production quota of 2,000 barrels per week with its employees operating on a three-shift basis six days per week. The reason for Mossberg's venture into Mexico was primarily because of labor costs. The minimum wage in Mexico is .63 cents an hour and despite such low wages the Mexican people are most fastidious and when properly instructed can perform manufacturing tasks most admirably.

So now and in the future the Mossberg Torreon operation will produce all Mossberg shotgun barrels and by March 1989 yet another plant will go on line at Eagle Pass, Texas -- some 200 miles southwest of San Antonio. The Eagle Pass operation will manufacture Mossberg's new pump action shotgun which will be known to the sporting world as the "Maverick" -- a pump shotgun destined to be well-constructed and will retail at a most competitive price that we understand will be difficult to match.

Speaking before the several gun writers at Torreon was Alan Mossberg who said: "Why are we here in Torreon? Well, Mossberg as a company had to grow. We needed more space, more machinery, more employees, etcetera and since we are indeed looking to the future we decided on Torreon purely to compete with the labor costs of the foreign market. We will indeed keep our corporate headquarters at North Haven, Connecticut, but we now will have our Torreon, Mexico plant and our Eagle Pass, Texas facility as well. In addition, Mossberg will further step up its home defense concept with the shotgun in mind. In other words, a shotgun loaded with buckshot is a far greater deterrent to any burglar than a handgun. Also, a shotgun is much easier for the beginner to master as compared to a handgun. As much, we do plan to emphasize home protection with a scattergun in the future," Mossberg concluded.

Article from 2006 by Bill Sontag

It’s been 17 years since Maverick Arms opened a 40,000-square-foot manufacturing plant in the Eagle Pass Industrial Park where virtually all O.F. Mossberg & Sons shotguns and rifles are now produced.

Now, with outstanding response from a world firearms market, Maverick Arms is more than doubling the size of company operations here. It will doubtless increase the Eagle Pass workforce, according to Maverick Arms Controller Refugio “Cuco” Reyes, though he says the company has not announced details and numbers of anticipated employment plans.

Maverick Arms currently has 200 employees, and just last year it was 155, so the cadre is sure to climb when the new plant addition brings square footage to 85,000. With the current workforce, Maverick Arms produces approximately 245,000 shotguns and rifles each year, explained Gerardo Arturo Lopez, Maverick Arms director of operations. That equates to about 1,600 guns built each workday.

But one unique trait of Maverick Arms is its standing as a “reverse maquiladora.” Whereas most maquiladora (“twin plant”) industries send small parts or components to Mexico for assembly, and return to the United States as completed products, Mossberg must reverse this process.

“In Mexico, it is forbidden to produce or buy guns,” said Lopez. So, for the Mossberg guns, some parts, receivers and stocks, for example, are produced in North Haven, Conn. - and small parts are produced Torreon, Coah., Mexico, - then shipped to Eagle Pass for assembly. The Maverick Arms plant also serves as the company’s primary shipping and distribution center.

The company is an exemplar of international trade, sending raw steel on flatbed trucks to Torreon, and receiving sealed containers of barrels, triggers and bolt assemblies on pallets in return. Receivers and stocks are produced in North Haven, and shipped to Eagle Pass to be married with parts from Mexico.

Shotgun calibers produced here run the gamut from .410, 12 gauge, 12 gauge magnum, and 20 gauge. Rifles produced in Eagle Pass include all calibers from a bolt-action .243 to 7mm magnum. In addition, an estimated 18,000 guns each year are produced to satisfy Army and Navy contracts.
“There are a lot of our Mossberg guns in Afghanistan and Iraq,” said Jesus Gutierrez, Maverick Arms manufacturing engineer and quality control manager. The armed forces shotguns are designed to handle high-capacity loads, all are pump action and finished with magnesium phosphate-treated steel. In addition, Maverick Arms also produces several lines of Mossberg & Maverick short-barreled guns for law enforcement contracts only.

Leadership team members at Maverick Arms are outwardly proud of their products. “‘More Gun For The Money’ is our company motto,” said Gutierrez. “We produce a very reliable product, but at an affordable price.”

According to Gutierrez, all Mossberg and Maverick Arms guns feature a 10-year warranty, but Maverick Arms in Eagle Pass also manages a small group of gunsmiths who can perform all repairs to the company’s shotguns and rifles. They also customize guns to suit Mossberg patrons’ specifications.

Maverick Arms manufacturing plant and distribution center is a centerpiece of international trade in the Eagle Pass industrial park. The 40,000-square-foot facility will soon more than double in size to step up assembly and shipment of nearly all Mossberg guns.

Back