• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Factory ammo for .357 lever action hunting?

Tom396

.30-06
I recently purchased a 20 inch barrel lever action .357 rifle. I am not a hunter. However, I might like to give it a shot (no pun intended). What factory .357 ammunition would be good for taking a deer at under 100 yards? I'm thinking that most hollow points would probably not be the best choice. And since it's a relatively long barrel for most .357 applications, a heavier grain bullet might be the better way to go. Opinions? I have a neighbor who is fairly avid (and successful) deer hunter, so I'll also be seeking his counsel. Take care. Tom Worthington

I use really hot loaded 125 gr hornady xtp. Sadly, I wasn't able to go hunting with them this year, and it is just my opinion, but I think it would have done very well.

Remember, you also get a velocity boost from longer barrels. When I was testing my handloads, I was getting 1850'ish fps from that particular load in my NEF single shot. And Hornady testing shows they reliably expand down to half that.

There are many people who don't like to use 357 for deer, but I think it's a fine choice for the distances and the terrain in which I hunt. And if you don't want to use the lightweight 125, see if you can find the heavier 158 HP, but velocity will take some of a hit due to the extra mass, but should penetrate a little deeper for those odd quartering shots.

Sorry that you asked for factory ammo. I only buy factory ammo for the brass ;)

Do you have access to local gun stores (not WalMart or Academy), or would you like to know about online sources and their ammo?

What weight deer are in your area? What is the vegetation like?

I'm just testing the waters, right now. If I were to purchase the rounds, it would likely be online. I have no trouble finding exactly what I want, once I figure out exactly what that is. I had no idea this could be so tricky. You have to weigh the deer first? Will a bathroom scale be good enough? They probably kick up quite a fuss while you are trying to hold them still. The vegetation in my immediate area is mostly green and close to the ground. Take care. Tom Worthington

@Tom396 i believe you will find the Buffalo Bore 180 loading quite effective in your lever for whitetail at those distance. Several Hornady factory loads also working well for the revolver hunters. Enjoy good luck.
Make a good shot be patient before and AFTer.

I found some interesting data on Ballisticsbytheinch.com http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html Take care. Tom Worthington
It is intersting data, for the sake of harvest of whitetail perhaps the Energy chart is more applicable
http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/megraphs/357mag.html

BUT and A BIG BUTT at that rumor is and I believe generally accepted is 750 for energy and up to properly do the job ??? Im not arguing that BUT the big BUTT is I took my share with a weak 32/20 no clue what those numbers are AND im guessing my Bow who slaughters em never achieved more the maybe 65 ft pnds so theres thats too. Just go shoot one thru the heart and tell how the chilli turns out !!!!!

Back