• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Fall 2017 Hunting-nsfw

Somewhere, I still have my mom's old cast-iron 1950s grinder, that I have not used but maybe once in thirty years.

When I was a kid it was my job to crank the grinder. My mom made hamburgers and sausages with it from whatever they had at the commissary, because sometimes the hamburger "didn't look good".

To me all hamburger looks pretty much the same: Suspect.

I unconsciously tend to avoid the stuff. Too many hamburgers, meatloafs, and plates of meatball stew growing up.

That's good Mike.

Walmart.com were showing the same grinders for $49, that my local store had on the shelf for $79.

When I asked about it, of course they told me the website had the error and their price was correct.

Thinking about ordering it offline and having it shipped to store just so I can find the manager and show it to him and rub his little fat nose in it.

Ya know, considering how they do here, that's not a really bad idea.

I can travel to 4 different walmarts within a 2 hour drive, and their merchandise is almost always less than what they are in town for the same exact thing.

Ya know, considering how they do here, that's not a really bad idea.

I can travel to 4 different walmarts within a 2 hour drive, and their merchandise is almost always less than what they are in town for the same exact thing.
I see same thing. I can get to 3 walmarts within an hour and pricing varies quite abit.

Because of the liberal exchange policies that Walmart has I bought six big batteries for my little electric boat from them.

Also because the batteries I have been getting from them last.

One of my boat batteries was purchased in 2010 and one was purchased in 2014 and the other 4 this year. They're all 12 volts, Deep Cycle. Normal guarantee on a DC battery is 2 years.

I have them in series (by three parallel groups of two) for 36 volts, and the two oldest ones are grouped together. So far they are holding voltage as well as the new batteries.

I've had several batteries from there which lasted seven years and more.

You guys in Minnesota and the Frozen northlandz must remember that there's really no such thing as a cold start where I live.

It does get hot here, and heat is bad on batteries, but normally my car starts instantly because the weather is so warm.

My Pontiac had a Walmart battery for 7 years which was still going when I sold the car. It had a hundred forty thousand miles on it, and it normally started before you could turn and release the key.

The Toyota starts after 1 rev. The computer has to see oil pressure or fuel pressure or something before it fires the ignition. All our Toyota's have been this way.

Connected last night with the Middleton-Excalibur Frankenbow!!

It was a 15 yard shot out of an 8' platform. The deer walked a small arch and ended up about 20 yards from where he was hit. I watched him go down, had I been thinking I should have kept the camera on him til he dropped.

Still have a few more tags including turkey so I'll be hitting the woods again this weekend.

MikeDeer20171025_002.jpg

MikeDeer20171025_001.jpg

Video of the shot:

Awesome job. Looks like this is a better year for both of us.

Glad you got your bow fixed. It's definitely back in action now.

Awesome mike congrats !!!
Crossbow resurrection success i know feels good. Kudos on some good groceries.

Not mine . Well actually im happy for my hunting buddy Troy. I had just got back to my truck last night about 645. Phone was buzzing on the other end was a young shaky voice. Saying i got one Lol. He was hunting about a mile from me. In a place i avoid due to a large food plot that gets pretty heavy hunting pressure i typically avoid those spots like the plague. But he worked it out like a boss. Harvesting a very nice buck at 4320171102_1827551.jpg yards This young man is a crack bowshot and a good hunter. Now i really feeling i got the monkey on my back.

If we're just passing the hunting monkey around, you can keep him. I've had him on my shoulder for a couple of years now and glad to be rid of him for a change LOL

Tell Troy congratulations. That's a nice looking deer.

If we're just passing the hunting monkey around, you can keep him. I've had him on my shoulder for a couple of years now and glad to be rid of him for a change LOL

Tell Troy congratulations. That's a nice looking deer.
Oh heck no i aint having it. I will be putting some venison in the freezer here shortly. My being picky has just about reach an end :) if big popa dont wanna show momma will be just fine.

I had a nice 8 point walk by me at 65 yards last weekend. Had he been at 40 he'd be in my freezer.

I shot my bow today at the local club and I repetitively hit the heart of their deer target at 60 yards. I know I can make the shot but I also know that a deer, if it reacts to the sound of the bow, can move a lot in the time it takes the arrow to travel that far. I'll keep the long shots for gun season, I don't need a deer that bad.

I concur 100% with that Mike. Il take those longbshots at bow range all day and make alot of em. But in the woods and deer jumping string noise thats a recipe for misery and i just dont want. I said it in another thread somewhere Archers see how far they can shoot bow hunters see how close they can get. I do have a 40 yard pin and im solid there but i still have a 30 yard limit i try and stick to especially with my bow now tuned down.

20171103_204752-1.jpg 20171103_205422-1.jpg 20171104_081257.jpg 20171103_204752-1.jpg 20171103_205422-1.jpg 20171104_081257.jpg And im finally on the board keep your monkey. Nice meat doe couldnt be better. Good shot 24 yards uphill quarteringb to me story with interesting twist. My bow shots over the years were typical pass thrus but i was always shooting 70#. Now im at 55# and arrow stuck in deer. It basically passed thru close shoulder and just exited off shoulder i actually didnt know it had punched thru other side and nearly sliced myself open when i went to move her. The second twist was i shoot G5 montec broadheads always have. But i also keep one what i call junk arrow in quiver for random targets of opportunity. This morning i inadvertently grab the junk arrow which has a 2 dollar wally world broadhead heads up the kill just fine. Deer jump straight up came down took couple steps stood there with head turned back nudging it side about 5 seconds and simply fell over. Cool morning
Nap time

Last edited:
Good job DJ.

Glad you got some meat in the freezer.

Congrats!! That will fill the freezer nicely!!

Back