• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Federal 5.56 XM855, 62gr FMJ

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I've been using these 62gr "green tips" for a while at the range. Pretty good stuff by my standards and well suited for my 1:7" and 1:8" twist barrels. It tends to print a little tighter on paper than the 55gr XM193, especially out past 100yds. Been reading about .30 cal ammo cans of this stuff turning up at WalMart, but hadn't seen any myself until today. Got a little excited and picked up a can of course, 420 rounds on strippers for $160. Not too bad at roughly .38¢ a round plus not having to pay for any shipping which can get a little pricey on bulk ammo. The cans are brand new and will come in pretty handy around the house. I'll get some pics of the rounds and the can up later.

Anyone else using Federal XM855?

The clerks that know me at various Walmarts tell me when I have missed a shipment. They never know what is coming and they say that is THE fastest moving item in ammo. ARG! Grats on the score.

Yeah, the dept. manager said this was the first time they had got the cans in stock. She also said that I lost her a bet, that nobody was gonna buy 'em. Most folks at that store don't buy more than a few rounds at a time and think the price for bulk is crazy. More for me!

I've seen these at Dicks Sporting Goods, and have heard of WalMarts havin them... I've yet to seen any around here.

I have some, about 160 rounds, I havent been able to try them out though.

My barrel is the standard 1:9, we'll see how it goes. One day, if I can get some decent range time without people gettin in my way... Well you know, not literally.

OK, here are some pics...

The can contains fourteen 30 round boxes, all on 10 round strippers...

All XM855 "penetrator" rounds are all marked with the signature green tip...

Yep, good deal man! I tried to buy that one at Dicks, but Jenny wasnt havin it.

We have had about 4 fires started from M855 this year.......had two start from M856(ap tracer). People can get them cheap and don’t understand the hazard of using them in the woods during fire season. This is the first year I have actually seen restrictions in writing proclaimed from the state forester. This means on all state protected land it is a fineable offence to be shooting steel core, tracer AND exploding targets including Tannerite, which doesn’t start fires but since people alter it and other things like White Lightning does start fires Tannerite got dragged into the mix. This also means anyone starting a fire violating these restrictions will be deemed negligent and will have to pay full cost of the fire suppression……never seen this before but now that all these gun shows are mainstream everyone with a credit card is buying an AR with cheap AP or tracer and going to the woods, sucks for the rest of us who have been using these things for years responsibly…..

Back